Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to put a aFe Power 49-46112-P Performance Exhaust System (5" from def back) and an aFe Power 50-76105 CIA with scoop on my truck. Will this help with my bad mileage? Im currently getting around 12.9 mpg(20%city 80%highway). I have already lifted the tuck 3" in front and 1.5" back. Also put on a set of 35" AT tires. I'm new to the diesel game so any advice would be handy. I also run diesel kleen additive. Love nissan, but looking for a little better mpg.

·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Before tire pressure is asked, it’s at 65 psi. No alignment issues and I just finished regen( went down to 10.5 mpg for a day)

·
1,044 Posts
If you really are running 80% highway use for your combined driving, it really should be a higher return on your MPG, something more like 17. Unless your highway speeds are 90+ MPH haha.

Before I deleted, my in-town average was around 16 MPG. Are you the original owner of the truck? Do you have a scangauge or OBD reader to see what your soot levels and EGTs are?

·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
not orgianil owner. Only had about a month. I do have a scanner, but its over at my in-laws right now. I'll be able to get back to it this weekend.

·
1,044 Posts
Sometimes there are diagnostic codes that don’t give a light on the dash that could be a symptom or a sign, so worth it to check those.

·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No codes... green across the board. Wondering if bad diesel. Got it at a mapco because I was in a hurry. Mpg has been falling ever since. I use desire Kleen additive and it was helping get it back up, but keeps dropping

·
1,044 Posts
When’s the last time you changed fuel filters?

Peronally, I would change fuel filters, fill up on good quality fuel, add some diesel Kleen, and do an oil change. Then you have a baseline. But that’s just how I troubleshoot when I don’t have many symptoms.

·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The sticker says last service was 5,179 mile ago. I've put maybe 600 on it (easy miles), but i have no idea what was done before then. I guess i maybe able to call the place it was serviced and see. May go ahead and do just what you said to establish my own service history on it.

·
1,044 Posts
That would be what I would do, I think it’s a good place to start.

I have coworker who bought a used XD from Canada and his got awful mileage, also. Ended up being a some DPF iissues resulting from a LOT of idle time. We dug around and figure out it was a fleet vehicle for a construction group, so it probably sat at job sites in the snow and just idled for long periods of time.

His fix? We tuned and deleted it! LOL

·
329 Posts
I have pretty much the same setup as you. City mpgs really suffer but the highway I can get 20 21 mpg if I cruise 65 70.

I'd take the truck on a nice long drive 50 miles or so of non stop highway. Get everything hot and burnt up in the emissions system.

This is what I do when I FEEL I've been driving to much city or idling. I don't believe in the additives really but more power to ya if you want to put something in it then drive. Changing fuel filters is good too. Dont pay much attention to the "service" sticker they may not of changed the fuel filters but said they did. Do it yourself and for sure know.

·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
tune and delete coming... but not til warranty over... 5 more years or 100k more miles...the place i bought it re-uped everything. The warranty covers parts and labor on everything plus a car to drive while they work on it. Thats why i dont want to mess around with anything yet that will invalidate it. I called about the mentioned upgrades and they said they where fine. The checked lift and said it was still covered. Just wont cover tune and delete, plus i live in a city that checks emissions for it on diesels. Dam# EPA!!!

Kannweld-I will be doing a oil and filter chage next weekend (include fuel filters). When i took it on a long run (about 1hr of driving highway and 30 minutes backroads) she got only 15.5. if i have to, ill live with this til delete.

·
Banned
1,541 Posts
I dont know why anyone even mentioned a delete to get better fuel mileage on this truck, everybody know the mileage doesnt get any better

·
27 Posts
I've got a OTR truck with a 16 liter that has a 5" exhaust. Don't think a 5.0l pickup would benefit unless you want a different sound.

Your lift and tires won't help the mileage. What was it before the changes? Where are you? Got a tank of winter fuel? Can you look up run hours and idle hours?

·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
3inch lift front 1.5 back. Went from stock tires to 35’s ... was getting 15.5 mpg then.... last fill up it bottomed out at 10.5...babying it just to get 12.9. I’ve ran the stink out of it yesterday and got

1 - 20 of 37 Posts