Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm looking into purchasing a diesel truck.I have 3 on my mind. XD,ram 2500,&f250 diesels. I test drove all and I like the steering feel and dynamics of the XD while the other two have better engines,frames and equipment. Better equipment meaning I can get power folding mirrors and a moonroof which are important to me. Sucks that Nissan didn't integrate them into their development. The next issue I have is the price. The ram and ford both have more capability and are priced similar to the XD. Since you guys already have the XD. I would love to hear your pros and cons. In 2 weeks I will make my purchase. Thanks in advance.

·
14 Posts
A concern for me is the small-ish fuel tank. 26 gallons, I think? I'm not an owner, either, so this will be interesting to follow.

·
1,979 Posts
Pros, it's a nice truck
Cons, it's a 1st Gen model & there is going to be issues associated with that.
If you need a capacity of a 3/4 ton this isn't the truck for you.
If you like the Titan & don't need a diesel I'd wait & get the gasser, it will be out in a few months.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
It's not a 3/4 ton. It's a truck for 1/2 buyers who use the upper end of their half ton capabilities more often.
Yes you can argue that it's priced closed to 3/4 ton's but you can also argue that it's priced competitively with 1/2 tons as well, whom also creep up into 3/4 ton pricing.
Having owned the big 3 before then a couple years ago owning a titan for the first time. Nissan makes a well built truck. I made a brief stop in a 2015 f150, before getting into an xd. I feel for some people who aren't able to negotiate on these. But I got a great overall deal on mine. It was only a couple thousand more then a slightly less equipped ecodiesel and about $7000 more then a comparable optioned f150 xlt ford, but way less capability. And I did consider an f250 ford which was only a few thousand more but way less options and I didn't really need the extra capability and extra maintenance costs.
I am now over 6000 km on my titan xd sv premium and couldn't be happier. Except it needs a good set of flares as factory tires stick out past fenders.

·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys I love the feedback. I just don't know if I can pass up the moonroof and power folding options on the other trucks.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
After the nightmare I just went through with my 2015 ford and their panoramic roof. I can do without a sunroof for a while. So it was a non issue. I have folded in my mirrors maybe 2 or 3 times I can think of in my life.

·
43 Posts
I have to echo what atc said about the moonroof. I had TONS of issues with rattles only to be told it was normal. I will never buy another Ford again.

·
658 Posts
It's not a 3/4 ton. It's a truck for 1/2 buyers who use the upper end of their half ton capabilities more often.
Yes you can argue that it's priced closed to 3/4 ton's but you can also argue that it's priced competitively with 1/2 tons as well, whom also creep up into 3/4 ton pricing.
Having owned the big 3 before then a couple years ago owning a titan for the first time. Nissan makes a well built truck. I made a brief stop in a 2015 f150, before getting into an xd. I feel for some people who aren't able to negotiate on these. But I got a great overall deal on mine. It was only a couple thousand more then a slightly less equipped ecodiesel and about $7000 more then a comparable optioned f150 xlt ford, but way less capability. And I did consider an f250 ford which was only a few thousand more but way less options and I didn't really need the extra capability and extra maintenance costs.
I am now over 6000 km on my titan xd sv premium and couldn't be happier. Except it needs a good set of flares as factory tires stick out past fenders.
Actually, it IS a 3/4 ton truck by definition. It is ONLY a 1/2 ton by Nissan marketing... Titan XD GVWR is above 8,500 lbs

·
167 Posts
If you are comparing to 3/4 ton trucks, I feel the only disadvantage is the ratings but there is advantages of how the truck looks and feels to me anyways. The reality is if you are like me and tow within the specs and don't need to tow 16000 lbs. then the xd is as good as the rest (so far as only time will tell if a problem rears its ugly head but all manufactures have there skeletons in the closet). I tow a 9000lbs boat max. It can be done by a ford or gm or ram half ton, but if you compare the equipment doing the towing, the xd is more of a 3/4 ton. The engine is no less expensive or stout as the big trucks, just less power. The transmission is just as stout or even better than the offerings in the 3/4ton. The frame is just as stout. Limitations seem to be the semi float rear end weight capacity and the spring rates. Otherwise you seem to be getting just as much truck as the 3/4 tons. I prefer the looks, and height as its hard enough to get my grandma in my truck even with running boards and I'm still able to fit in most parkades. I like the utility tracks and spray in bedliner, I think its the best factory utility tracks available. In comparison to the previous generation half ton titan, the xd is much more of a truck with bigger brakes, axles, frame, engine, transmission etc. Only thing that isn't beefier is probably the sheet metal and interior. I don't recommend towing outside the specs, but I'd push this truck to the towing limit on a daily bases without any hesitation.

·
430 Posts
Actually, it IS a 3/4 ton truck by definition. It is ONLY a 1/2 ton by Nissan marketing... Titan XD GVWR is above 8,500 lbs
Yep. This seems to always escape people. It's only a "big truck" when they want to compare it to a 1/2 ton, but up against other CLASS 2 B trucks, you can't compare the two, because the XD is a half ton.

On another note. What's this mythical increase in maintaining a big 3 diesel, over the XD?

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
Scorpian as simple as 3-4 litres less of oil required at oil each oil change compared to the powerstroke.
On a side note the Nissan cummins seems to using less def. Compared to buddies new powerstroke and almost new 6.7 ram.
And to further that less diesel consumption compared to the other two. And believe me mine is under a microscope.

·
430 Posts
Scorpian as simple as 3-4 litres less of oil required at oil each oil change compared to the powerstroke.
On a side note the Nissan cummins seems to using less def. Compared to buddies new powerstroke and almost new 6.7 ram.
And to further that less diesel consumption compared to the other two. And believe me mine is under a microscope.
If any of these are of real concern, one would be best not to buy a diesel.

·
1,300 Posts
The increase ownership is you need to buy more oil that's it.
I've owned all the Big 3 diesels and this Titan is by far the most comfortable and practical truck I've owned. I traded off my Ram 3500 for the titan and I'm very happy still. Im not hauling hay for my horses anymore so I don't need to be able to tow 20K worth of round bales.
The only down side is the sunroof I like them but it's not the end of the world, folding mirrors IMO who gives a sh*t it's just a selling feature for people that think they need to have it and talk like there the best thing since a rear view camera.
As for the Ford 6.7L Diesel that engine is a joke their emissions system is just brutal and the truck will rattle and they are always falling apart. Ford eco jokes I think they are junk and a throw away truck, why did I see the Ritchie auction full of them... who know...

Cummins 6.7L is by far a better engine, way less issues around the emissions, ride is OK but front end issues are always lerking in the dark.
Cummins 5.0L is a way better engine than any of the half tons if you want something stable to drive while towing.

This truck is purpose built to do a solid job and not leave you with white knuckles while towing 11K. I love it and I think it's a very good truck.

Reactions: davidster2002

·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I appreciate all the feedback. The reason I like the power folding mirrors is that part of my driveway is narrow enough that I have to fold the mirrors in. So for me it's a useful option.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
They aren't of concern Scorpian but you asked what I meant by extra maintenance costs. So I answered.
To further my comparison to the other two. The Ram 2500 has 9,000 km been in the shop unexpected once, the F250 ford has 6500km been in the shop unexpected twice and my xd at just over 6000 km been the shop zero unexpected. Only been in for my own wish for a remote start install. Yes my first year truck is going to have lots of issues.

·
430 Posts
They aren't of concern Scorpian but you asked what I meant by extra maintenance costs. So I answered.
To further my comparison to the other two. The Ram 2500 has 9,000 km been in the shop unexpected once, the F250 ford has 6500km been in the shop unexpected twice and my xd at just over 6000 km been the shop zero unexpected. Only been in for my own wish for a remote start install. Yes my first year truck is going to have lots of issues.

You do realize a big percentage of the owners on here have already or will soon have their truck in the shop. Some for long periods at a time. Not a very good comparison when you look at the ratio of trucks sold, to initial defects.

·
1,300 Posts
Well Scorpion if you really want to look at major problems right off the bat to a point where the truck was a complete flop and was only around for 3 years... look no further than the 2008 6.4L Ford those trucks are absolute junk!
Every other truck I've had has had an issue with in the first couple thousand K and so far this one is running like a top.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
Scorpian I was just simply pointing out the on going comparison in my group of friends. I won't even mention the two ecodiesel owners. Bad thing in Canada no lemon law.
My friends are so die hard big 3. I got ridiculed when I bought my first Titan. But after 2 years and way less issues with my titan then they, things got quiet. Since alot of them have stepped into the diesel market before me. I got the same ridicule with the xd. But with issues on well proven trucks, compared to my new xd they are going quiet again. It's all harmless ribbing. They will stick with the big 3 and I'm happy to be different, with a well built truck.
As stated yes there has been issues with some here, but the good thing is nissan is trying to solve things quickly. Go buy a new ford and see how that goes.

·
167 Posts
6Scorpian7 - I believe this truck is not going to exceed any other manufactures for warranty issues, I actually think quite the opposite. Yes, there are a couple of defected trucks that showed up early and I was thinking mine was one as well, however, I have not had the same error light show up since I took it in to Nissan and all they did was check the connections to the transfer case and clear the error. So it might not be as big of an issue as first expected and might have just been an electrical connection not plugged in properly. However, there is no indication that this truck is going to have more issues than any other vehicle out there. All you have to do is look at the other forums to identify all the problems with other vehicles which are still not fixed by the manufacturer. So I don't believe there is any concern with ratio of trucks sold to defects at this time. It seems to be more early computer programming glitches than anything else, which is easy fixes with updates, one transfer case replacement, couple loose intake pipe clamps, and one loose battery terminal. Ram has diesel smell issues in cabs and they are facing a lawsuit for it. Ram has issues with ecodiesel cams and dpf systems. Ford has problems with rattles and moisture build up in intercoolers and pre detonation. They have had multiple issues with the 6.0 and 6.4 diesel (not sure about the 6.7 except my friends went through 5 sets of turbos which finally took out the engine). Chevy have their own inherent problems but the engines seem reliable, plus I wouldn't dare take that princess truck offroad. No one manufacturer makes every vehicle perfect, and its unreasonable to expect as much. Without having real statistical numbers, you really aren't putting any factual basis behind your comment. As they say only time will tell and there hasn't been many of the same issues show up yet which is usually an indication of a real manufacturing problem. And its not fair to potential buyers looking at this forum for you to be misleading in your comments about it being a problem truck. If things change as more miles are put on and more reports about a defect come in then by all means inform the public of all the pitfalls.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts