Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Conquering the Catch Can: Mishimoto’s Nissan Titan XD Baffled Oil Catch Can

Here at Mishimoto, we know the importance of a good catch can as far as preventative maintenance goes. For most vehicles, installing a catch can means protecting your engine from the silent monster that is blow-by. Blow by can consist of excess oil, fuel, moisture, and pure evil. Engines with direct-injection, like our good friend the Titan XD, are prone to blow-by creeping its way back into the engine through the intake, and caking debris on valves which can be very harmful to an engine over time.

Stock Titan XD engine bay

Not to worry gentle Titan, we are here to help. Our engineers usually start with a catch can on most project vehicles as we want to protect our newest investment. For the Titan, this proved to be more difficult than we had originally thought. We began as many stories do, with a bracket. Our lead engineer, Dan, decided on a location for our first prototype, then set out to fabricate it.

Dan welding the Titan XD catch can bracket

A few tweaks later and we had the bracket mounted up and ready for the catch can itself. We decided to start with one of our previous catch can designs and modify it to accommodate our Cummins. We knew this catch can would need some tweaking, especially in the filter department, as diesel engines have been known to react poorly with a restrictive filter on a PCV system than others would.

Prototype Titan XD catch can installed

Prototype Titan XD catch can installed

First Round of Testing

We had a hunch this project was going to be a challenge, and our suspicions were confirmed as soon as we rolled out of the garage to begin testing. Our Titan decided to throw a tantrum and ended up in limp mode prompting us to return to home base so we could further evaluate our first prototype. Not to worry Titan, TeamMishi is up to the challenge. The team has several ideas about the cause of limp mode and are eager to design a second prototype that will play well with this Cummins.

Coming Up!

Would the Titan XD be consumed by its nemesis blow-by? Or would TeamMishi swoop in, just in the nick of time to save the valves? Tune in to our next post to find out!

Thanks for Reading!
Sara

·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We have quite a bit going on for this truck, and we thank you for your patience as we work to finish developing various products for it including the catch can. Hopefully you can keep up the streak of communicating in only emoticons! :grin2:

-Sara

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
We have quite a bit going on for this truck, and we thank you for your patience as we work to finish developing various products for it including the catch can. Hopefully you can keep up the streak of communicating in only emoticons! :grin2:

-Sara
Ouch lol

·
712 Posts
I could have went into a lengthy, Stephen King like, interrogation of your product development timeline.
Where I asked the sources for your materials, the qualifications of your fabricators , standards you use during your research and development phase for a new product, how many test miles you are putting on something before you see fit to present it to your potential customer base, how you arrive at final pricing, if the instructions will be printed on acid free paper, that was only made from trees blown down by high winds instead of felled by loggers so as not to harm forests, and if your facilities used "green" power.

Which do you like better? :D

·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I could have went into a lengthy, Stephen King like, interrogation of your product development timeline.
Where I asked the sources for your materials, the qualifications of your fabricators , standards you use during your research and development phase for a new product, how many test miles you are putting on something before you see fit to present it to your potential customer base, how you arrive at final pricing, if the instructions will be printed on acid free paper, that was only made from trees blown down by high winds instead of felled by loggers so as not to harm forests, and if your facilities used "green" power.

Which do you like better? :D
Apologies for the miscommunication! I meant that I enjoyed logging on to see your emojis, it was an interesting change of pace. :eek:ccasion14:

Of course, I would be happy to answer any questions that you have about our process as that is what I'm here for.

-Sara

·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Part 2: Prototype Update

If you remember from our last post about the Titan XD catch can, we ran into some challenges with the first prototype. Since our existing catch can design did not agree with the Titan, it was back to the drawing board for our lead engineer, Dan.

Updated Design

Our standard catch can when installed on the Titan was generating a code causing the truck to go into limp mode. The cause of the code stemmed from our standard catch can being too restrictive for the Titan’s beefy Cummins engine. This is not surprising, given the 50 micron filter and smaller design of the can, which was originally designed for gasoline-powered cars. This catch can design functions beautifully on smaller turbo engines such as the Focus and Fiesta, as well as larger American V8s in the new-generation Camaro SS and Mustang GT. It just might not be suitable for the turbo diesel V8 in our Titan.

With some creativity, we modified our original design and got to work on some interesting design changes to our can.

Updated Titan catch can prototype

We adapted our design by elongating the can itself, but after testing various filter sizes and densities, we concluded that the filter itself was the biggest restriction. We decided to go without a filter but beef up our catch can’s internals with an intricate baffling system to maintain optimal oil separation. We used the increased size of the can to our benefit and designed a stack of baffles to occupy the inside of the can. Take a look and let us know what you think.

Prototype Titan XD catch can baffles

Testing

With our new can and baffle design fabricated and installed on the Titan, we set out to begin testing. Initially, this process went much smoother this time around. The catch can functioned well, and the Titan was free of the check engine light! Once we opened the can, however, we found more condensation present in the can than we had predicted. This presented another challenge to Team Mishi, because excess condensation in colder climates could cause the catch can to freeze. Because we strive for perfection, we sat back down and let the ideas flow for yet another prototype.

Coming Up!

In our next post the third design is put to the test, and we’ll show you the final testing results. In the meantime, check out a more-in depth look at catch cans in our Blow-By 101 article and some of the other projects we are working on for the Titan XD.

Thanks for Reading!
Sara

·
629 Posts
I might be interested. How much are you thinking they will cost and will this void my warranty?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
1,300 Posts
Anything you add to the truck/ engine Nissan can kill your warranty if they really want to.

·
1,979 Posts
I might be interested. How much are you thinking they will cost and will this void my warranty?

Thanks

You don't need it & It definitely gives Nissan an out as far as the motor warranty goes.
The motor was designed to burn that crap off and will do so without issues.
The best thing you can do is just fallow the maintenance schedule & leave things alone.

·
1,300 Posts
If you end up deleting you truck, than you can run something like this... But if your going that far with mods and don't care for warranty, your better off to just vent to atmosphere. Than your truck wont be pulling in the vented gas back into the intake

Reactions: Jtp

·
507 Posts
If you end up deleting you truck, than you can run something like this... But if your going that far with mods and don't care for warranty, your better off to just vent to atmosphere. Than your truck wont be pulling in the vented gas back into the intake
What he said....:nerd2:

·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Thanks

Anything you add to the truck/ engine Nissan can kill your warranty if they really want to.
You don't need it & It definitely gives Nissan an out as far as the motor warranty goes.
The motor was designed to burn that crap off and will do so without issues.
The best thing you can do is just fallow the maintenance schedule & leave things alone.
Thanks for the feedback!

This catch can should not void the warranty if installed and emptied properly. The can does not require modification of the stock system, you would remove the stock crankcase vent line and add our lines in place. Meaning all it would take to bring the system back to stock would be to save your stock line and re-install it if necessary. Of course your best bet is to talk with your dealer to be sure before adding any aftermarket parts.

You are correct that the truck was designed well from the get-go, but we still saw an oily coating in the vent line so we wanted to explore how much blow-by we could trap within a catch can. Every drop that we can trap is a drop that is not headed back into your engine.

Another update is coming this week, and we should have pre-sale details on the way in another week or so. Stay tuned!
-Sara

1 - 20 of 39 Posts