Nissan Titan XD Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all. I'm thinking seriously about buying a Titan XD. I'll be retiring soon, and its time to replace the 2001 Silverado 2500 (just 160k, but its time) before we start some serious traveling. I'm looking mostly a 2017 to 2019 XD. My questions...

*We have a small slide on camper. The kind the cranks up the last foot or so. 1300 lb dry. I also occasionally tow a boat while the camper is on....17 ft fishing boat @ 4000 lb (with trailer) and a
tongue weight around 300 lb (that's a guess on my part). Will the XD handle it?

*Sounds after doing a lot of reading that I should stay away from the 5.0 Cummins. I did test drive one a liked it....but VERY mixed reviews. How do you all feel about that?

*You don't hear much about the gas engine for these years (that's probably a good thing?). What's your opinion?

*What kind of MPG does the gasser get? with and without towing?

*General longevity; are these 10-15 year vehicles? Body, chassis, motor, other? I'd like my next truck to last until I no longer want/need a truck.

Towing the boat with the camper on is only 3 or so trips per year. The truck would not be a daily driver...but a weekend/hauling/hunting/fishiing/camping vehicle.
I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks

·
790 Posts
Lots of people got the diesel because of the towing and carrying capacity. I, on the other hand, bought the diesel because I love the diesel. Just like @cajun said, the gasser will do everything you want plus more.

However, @cajun, one thing you didn't mention. And that is a thing both you and I had done to the XD Cummins that a gasser can't. LOL

·
14 Posts
Hi all. I'm thinking seriously about buying a Titan XD. I'll be retiring soon, and its time to replace the 2001 Silverado 2500 (just 160k, but its time) before we start some serious traveling. I'm looking mostly a 2017 to 2019 XD. My questions...

*We have a small slide on camper. The kind the cranks up the last foot or so. 1300 lb dry. I also occasionally tow a boat while the camper is on....17 ft fishing boat @ 4000 lb (with trailer) and a
tongue weight around 300 lb (that's a guess on my part). Will the XD handle it?

*Sounds after doing a lot of reading that I should stay away from the 5.0 Cummins. I did test drive one a liked it....but VERY mixed reviews. How do you all feel about that?

*You don't hear much about the gas engine for these years (that's probably a good thing?). What's your opinion?

*What kind of MPG does the gasser get? with and without towing?

*General longevity; are these 10-15 year vehicles? Body, chassis, motor, other? I'd like my next truck to last until I no longer want/need a truck.

Towing the boat with the camper on is only 3 or so trips per year. The truck would not be a daily driver...but a weekend/hauling/hunting/fishiing/camping vehicle.
I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks
I bought a 2017 XD Premium Reserve with Cummins. Tows my 28ft TT well but this truck is plain old useless for a fifth wheel. I know you have 1600 lb of payload, but the rating for a gas crew cab is around 2000 lb. That leaves room for 400 lb of occupants and gear. Not a lot. Only issue with the Cummins is the turbo actuator failure seems to be quite common. My truck is nice for small jobs and the diesel pulls its load without effort and good fuel economy (gas will not do this as well). BUT.....we never thought we would move up to a fifth wheel and now we can't due to a paltry 1590 lb payload. Considering 4 adults would be about 750 lb, add 250 lb for gear and that leaves 590 lb for trailer tongue weight. A travel trailer has 10% of overall weight on the tongue and a fifth wheel has 15%. Why on earth would Nissan even add in the gooseneck attachment? My truck is useless for this purpose. Sure, dead pull of 12,600 lb but don't put any weight on it.

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya...much as I hate to admit it, I think I need to stick with a "traditional" 3/4 ton....which means one of the big 3.
1300 camper + 400 lb people + 300 gear + 300 tongue weight = 2300 lb. That's at the ragged edge of any 1/2 ton. Most will do it, but...you're at the edge, which is never a good thing (not to mention you're probably not legal).

Thanks all for the thoughts.

·
133 Posts
If you get a diesel then delete it, reroute the CCV hose, remove the egr, and you'll be happy. It's a powerful engine that just needs to be rescued from the government mandated bullshit. The fact that you'll be regularly towing something will also help. These engines like to be worked, since driving with a load helps to burn off carbon buildup in the turbo actuator. There's also been a lot of speculation that the 10W-30 oil that it calls for is too thin, but do your own research on this. I, along with many here, run 5W-40 synthetic simply because the 10W-30 was hard and expensive to find on shelf, and my engine hasn't killed itself. My 2016 diesel has treated me very well, with about 130,000 miles. Fun tip: the 6.7 cummins shares quite a bit of parts with the 5.0. Example: the 6.7 cummins oil filter is $11 at my local Tractor Supply and is longer than the $20 5.0 filter that I have to buy online. The threads and diameter are the same.

Keep in mind, many people get on the forums because they have a problem. Just about every Titan XD owner that hasn't had an issue will never post here, so there's a negative bias. I find this to be the case with every forum I've frequented. Hell, my neighbor two houses down talked to me and shortly after bought a diesel XD for a work truck and seems to love it. A friend of his has a deleted Pro4x and from what I've been told he has no issues.

If you buy a diesel, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. It tows like a champ.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts