Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading about the XD Diesel and I hear both good and bad. I like the way the XD looks, power sounds acceptable. I'll skip the '16 and get at least a '17 if I buy one. Going to look at one today actually. My usage will be a daily. Might need to tow my street car on a trailer every once in a while. Long term plan is to tow a 37' travel trailer.

What scares me is maintenance costs if something takes a dump. The oil changes and similar I will do myself. I will buy used (not from Nissan) because the car I trade in has some negative equity and I MIGHT be able to get a decent warranty. The bad is the Nissan dealership has a lifetime warranty which is such a huge selling point to me but I cant justify the trade in price + the cost of the truck.

Anyone thinking of buying a third party warranty to cover things like the turbo, transmission etc?

What I have currently is a '07 GMC Sierra with a 6.0 swap, 6" lift on 37's which I would also sell and go down to just 1 vehicle which would be this XD.

This is the truck:

·
264 Posts
Hey, I came to my XD from an '11 2500 with the 6.0 gasser, and it's an absolute night and day difference between the trucks. I have a '16, and it's been largely problem free. With that in mind, I wouldn't really worry about a third-party warranty juuuust yet - the truck you're looking at has a 5yr/100k bumper-to-bumper, and with only 23k on it you're probably good to go.

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well...Its going to rack up the miles. LOL. About 40k in about 1yr and 4 months is about standard for me. LOL

What did you think about the 2500 vs the XD? What made it that much of a difference?

·
264 Posts
Lots of stuff, honestly. I full time in a 29 ft rv, which isn't particularly heavy at around 7,500 pounds, but the XD tows it like it isn't there with the extra torque. The ride is waaaaay better in the XD, and the amenities (I came from a Work Truck and bought a bare-bones S model), are great without any of the driver aids I hate. Also, by the time the Chevy hit 6 years old, it was leaking around the cab lights, had left me stranded, and was getting about 12 mpg running around while being on the verge of needing some pretty extensive maintenance. I'm almost 3 years into the XD experiment, and I've had two CELs that were the result of buying old def and a few kinks in changing the fuel filters that were my fault, so I've had no issues with the truck itself, and if you do the fuel filters and oil changes yourself you can save a bunch on maintenance costs, which are admittedly higher.

I shopped around for an extended warranty through a couple dealers that all wanted about $3,500 for the best coverage, but I figured that would put a pretty good dent in most repair costs.

·
24 Posts
let's be honest every engine has problem and failures. RAM truck does too with Cummins

All Powerstroke and Duramax

So if you will search all engines have failed

1 - 5 of 5 Posts