Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently drive a 2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn with E-torque. It's a great truck, but about a month ago my wife upgraded our camper (1974 popup that weighed about 1200#) to a 37' bumper pull that weighs 7300# dry. Will be about 8500# loaded with water. The Ram hauls it, but the camper moves the truck wherever it wants it to go. Not good...I've white knuckled every drive thus far except for the one last week out to the mountains because traffic was so bad, my max speed was 45mph.

Long story short, I told the missus that I need a change. We have multiple trips planned this summer and I'm not gonna be scared for everyone and the truck the entire summer. Started looking while we were at the campsite. The big threes were all out of the price range or had way top many miles that I wanted to deal with. Not to mention, even used the prices were crazy high...Titan came up as an alternative. I found a very clean, very well equipped 2019 cummins XD Pro-4X with just over 14k on the odo. My 2020 already has 19k, so...score...with trade in values being at seemingly all time highs for trucks it really feels like a no brainer.

Things I will lose:
1. Adjustable foot pedals
2. Small amount of cabin space in the backseat mainly
3. Fuel economy
4.power mirrors
5. Rubber floor mats (lol)
6. USB-C plugs
7. Garage space
8. Worry of owning my first diesel

Things I will gain:
1. Hoping peace of mind when towing (please let me know what to expect)
2. Lots of warranty
3. Tow mirrors
4. Leather seating
5. Blind spot detection
6. Heated seats in back (I don't sit back there and I try not to spoil the kids, but...)
7. Longer bed
8. Excitement of owning my first diesel

With all the being said and given what I'm dealing with, can anyone convince me one way or the other on this trade?

Attachments

·
348 Posts
My diesel tows extremely well, and the XD's a nice, heavy, truck that feels planted in the road, even with something behind it. Are you guys going to be taking enough trips to justify the diesel? I tend to suggest people consider the gasser since they've discontinued the Cummins motor.

Also, have you guys fooled around with your weight distribution hitch much? They can be tricky to get right and can result in a pretty unpleasant ride if it's not quite set how it should be.

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah. We'll be camping fairly regularly during spring, summer, and fall. I've considered 3/4 gassers, but even used they are extremely pricey, hard to find here, and have 100k miles already.

I've messed with it a bit, but I'm fairly positive it's the overall weight of the half ton that is causing the issues.

·
28 Posts
I have a 17 xd Cummins and pull a 28’ toy hauler and just recently installed new tires. The toy hauler loaded is barely 10k and pulls fine but any side winds of of 20 or more give me a floaty feeling. I am looking at picking up OEM tires with road tread to tow and taking off the new all terrain tires. I have dialed in my WDH too. You have to realize the XD diesel has only 1675lbs payload. Not much for a diesel. The xd gasser has a 2000 payload. So you will have to balance you load inside the trailer to take off tongue weight with the diesel. I would recommend a 3/4 truck from the big three or the xd gasser 2019 or better with 5 year bumper warranty.
Like others have said the Cummins is not even in production anymore and some dealers won’t work on them.

·
4 Posts
I can't say much about the diesel. We have a gas burner. What I can tell you is that we tow a 37' trailer that is 9700# gross weight. Tows great with no issues. Our old trailer was 33' and weighed 8500# gross. We started out towing with a 2004 Titan. It pulled the trailer just fine but it did get pushed around some. The weight of the XD provides a world of difference while towing. Like the above poster mentioned if you are considering a Titan XD I would recommend the gas burner being that this engine will be around a while. It has plenty pf power to do the job. Good luck with your search and Happy Camping!!

·
60 Posts
I have a 2019 Pro4x diesel and tow a 33 ft travel trailer. It weights about 7400 lbs loaded and pulls like a champ and I love my truck. But, with your trailer being heavier and much longer I would just go with a 3/4 ton truck. As bcew99 stated, my truck has a payload of 1675lbs. My tongue weight with my trailer is 1250lbs and with my wife and I and a few things in the bed we are at about 1650lbs. So your trailer will be way over specs wise. I'm no weight police but, with your trailer you will be at the top of or over the Xds class 4 hitch weight rating of something like 1400lbs. With a 3/4 ton gas you will have a class 5 hitch and have about 2300-2800 lbs of payload. If I had to make the choice over again I would have bought a 3/4 ton gas because of those two things. Over my lifetime I've had many trucks and my XD has been my favorite truck and I will keep it until I don't own a travel trailer any longer. It's totally capable of towing and hauling more then the door stickers says and I do it on occasion. This is probably the worst time ever to buy a used truck so I feel for you. The prices are out of control. You could probably get a new 20 or 21 XD for a lower price then a used 3/4 truck if you go this way.

·
2016 XD 4x4 Tuned with straight pipe.
759 Posts
The XD diesel blows any 3/4 ton gasser away. Towing my travel trailer was night and day better with the XD than my GMC 2500 6.0. It towed so much nicer I upgraded to a 5th wheel since I had that much faith in the towing ability of these trucks.

·
26 Posts
I would not go with diesel XD because of emission components. Yours isnt a heavy trailer but it is very long. If nissan is more affordable for you, then look at gas XDs.

The service guy at my dealership said if you drive the diesel XD hard, under load and/or towing al the time then it is great, but if you just drive it empty, not often and occasionally towing, then he says the truck will have problems.

Gas XD are much more reliable from what I researched. They have about 2k lbs payload, plus/minus depending on the trim. The MPGs gains of diesel wasnt huge (see tfl comparison on YouTube).

I am biased because i just sold my diesel XD and in the market for gas version. :)

·
759 Posts
The gas XD with the 9 speed is supposed to be a pretty good tow rig. Truly is a bummer they stopped making the diesel

·
305 Posts
Things I will gain:
1. Hoping peace of mind when towing (please let me know what to expect)
2. Lots of warranty
3. Tow mirrors
4. Leather seating
5. Blind spot detection
6. Heated seats in back (I don't sit back there and I try not to spoil the kids, but...)
7. Longer bed
8. Excitement of owning my first diesel

With all the being said and given what I'm dealing with, can anyone convince me one way or the other on this trade?
I dunno, Does this help?

I don't know how much peace of mind this might give you. You might just need plenty of #2. Your #2 might run out before then. It might just be a matter of time. You might just get a lot of #8. You just have to search your gut and decide whether or not you want to roll the dice. This video doesn't talk to all the potential diesel excitement you could run into owning the 5.0 (or any other late model diesel, for that matter).

After almost 5 years and 43K miles my sense was my peace of mind was running out. I sold my (dearly loved) Cummins 2016 Pro4X, I believe for all the right reasons. Went to a big block gasser from one of the Big Three. On one of the forums for that truck, there are few issues complained about in its third year. Certainly not like this forum. Fuel mileage is the hottest topic, yet nobody wringing their hands about only a 34 gal tank in the shorter bed (48 gal in LB). No wrangling over payload/tow capacity, either. Are you feeling lucky?

·
274 Posts
You are in 3/4 ton to 1 ton Territory. Skip the nissan altogether. A 37 ft travel trailer should not be behind a half ton, no matter the dry weight.

As someone that had a Tundra, Titan XD Diesel, F150, and RAM 2500 Diesel... the Titan XD is NOT even close to a 3/4 ton in power or stability. It does do better than a 1/2 ton, but your camper is too big IMO. I'd say it's scraping by appropriate for the XD if all you have are flat tows, with little wind.

Remember, forums are filled with "it tows fine". I've seen people say that with a Tundra and 3 axle fifth wheel.

·
759 Posts
You can't really compare the XD to any other truck. I'd say the diesel XD lands between a 3/4 gasser and a 3/4 diesel. If I knew what I know now, I'd get a 3/4 diesel, only because they stopped making the XD, parts have always been hard to find, and will only get harder.

·
305 Posts
You can't really compare the XD to any other truck. I'd say the diesel XD lands between a 3/4 gasser and a 3/4 diesel. If I knew what I know now, I'd get a 3/4 diesel, only because they stopped making the XD, parts have always been hard to find, and will only get harder.
I'm going to be interested in how the new Godzilla handles the same interstate grades towing the same trailer that bogged down my (stock) XD 5.0. Godzilla beats it on ponies, but falls 80 ft lbs short on torque. The upper 3 gears in the 10 speed in the Godzilla are OD gears, so likely no help there. Won't be able to make that comparison until probably November. Could be close, could be a blowout with the Titan slaying Godzilla. It's going to be a seat of the pants comparison because I never really timed the XD.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts