Nissan Titan XD Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have taken my nissan titan 2016 to 4 different dealerships and not one can tell me why i'm loosing preston from MAX TO MIN in about a 100 km 60 miles. They keep telling me oh don't worry thats normal. This truck has 68.000 km ????????????????????? does anyone know what I can do.

馃槨

Premium Member
Definitely not normal. I have 80 000 kms on a 2016 and I don't have that issue. I do worry about my EGR cooler failing but I'm not sure if you would lose coolant with that or not. Good luck figuring it out!! Don't stop asking as it's definitely NOT normal!!

EGR can develop cracks, even very thin ones that only expand and open when it gets hot, allows coolant to seep into the exhaust.

This failure is not always readily evident on visual inspection.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

If your truck is still under warranty you have to fight for it. They have the problem with egr cooler. The coolant is leaking through the cooler go to intake and end up at the tail pipe. That one about 1000 for replace.

Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have taken my nissan titan 2016 to 4 different dealerships and not one can tell me why i'm loosing preston from MAX TO MIN in about a 100 km 60 miles. They keep telling me oh don't worry thats normal. This truck has 68.000 km ????????????????????? does anyone know what I can do.

馃槨
Thank you guys for the updates I will make sure to tell the only mechanic with two days of training from cummins to defiantly look into the EGR cooler problem.

If your truck is still under warranty you have to fight for it. They have the problem with egr cooler. The coolant is leaking through the cooler go to intake and end up at the tail pipe. That one about 1000 for replace.
I've been trying to find references here on the forum regarding oil analysis and the impact/effect of the EGR leaking coolant into the intake side of things, but have not been successful.

Can anyone explain what happens in this situation (coolant going through the engine)? And why is there that sickly sweet smell when it idles for a while ... Glycol caramelizing?!

I took my '17 PR in for a 20K service and suspected EGR leak in january. Dealerhip "fixed" the leak, and within 2 days that sweet smell was back again. Very little change in coolant level. I can't delete (based on where I'll be living)... really want to try get this resolved.

Thanks

2016 XD 4x4 Tuned with straight pipe.
Honestly the sweet smell is probably the DEF. The longer you idle the more DEF is used to offset the NOx levels. My egr cracked and I just went through coolant like crazy, no smells or other signs. The worry for me was that the coolant was obviously going somewhere and I feared diluting the oil, insufficient combustion, and overheating of course.

I've been trying to find references here on the forum regarding oil analysis and the impact/effect of the EGR leaking coolant into the intake side of things, but have not been successful.

Can anyone explain what happens in this situation (coolant going through the engine)? And why is there that sickly sweet smell when it idles for a while ... Glycol caramelizing?!

I took my '17 PR in for a 20K service and suspected EGR leak in january. Dealerhip "fixed" the leak, and within 2 days that sweet smell was back again. Very little change in coolant level. I can't delete (based on where I'll be living)... really want to try get this resolved.

Thanks
I know it is sound stupid, but it is true and there is either defective material or assembly defective when they do the welding by Cummins's vendors. The function of egr cooler is to cool the exhaust air when it recirculate to intake at that point the air is negative pressure. it is function just like radiator but the air is negative pressure. It draw the coolant to the air and go to intake then mix with outside air. This can increase the temperature intake air and redue nox EPA stuffs. Nissan has the problem with this. It took my about 6 months to get it done correctly from the dealer. The dealer had to call and make cummin's technician to look at. I think I had to come to dealer around 10 times in order to get it done. my egr had replace around 40k miles. I would recommend you have to monitor your coolant level. Otherwise you may lost your engine due to overheat. I remember that it was change a little at the time until I lost around 1pint of coolant in 2K miles when I push more pressure to them. I was afraid that crack engine block or head because there is no leak anywhere to be detected. Nissan had no experience in diesel so dealing with them are very headache. Good luck.

Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Guys
Sorry to keep repeating the same question but does anyone have the list of serial numbers that are affected by the EGR COOLANT LEAK? My dealer says that there is no such list and that there is no problem with the EGR COOLER. I'm buying cases of Preston to keep replacing the coolant loss i am now adding presto every day so my check engine doesn't go on.

Hi Guys
Sorry to keep repeating the same question but does anyone have the list of serial numbers that are affected by the EGR COOLANT LEAK? My dealer says that there is no such list and that there is no problem with the EGR COOLER. I'm buying cases of Preston to keep replacing the coolant loss i am now adding presto every day so my check engine doesn't go on.
Cft performance 馃馃挭

1 - 12 of 12 Posts