Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

3/4 and Full Ton trucks already offer shoppers big time power and capability. A 1/2 ton trucks suspension and chassis was never designed to handle the type of loads the 5.0 Cummins is capable of tolerating.

Towing is about more that power/torque figures right. I just don't legitimately see a half ton chassis being robust enough to tow say a fifth wheel trailer, regardless of what your engine can do you're only as capable as your weakest link.

To take full advantage of the Cummins ISV I think Nissan needs to:

Strengthen frame
Strengthen suspension
Strengthen axles
Strengthen connections between suspension axles and frame
Strengthen transmission

All of that will simultaneously add weight and cost to the Titan. The second question then becomes is will Nissan simply strengthen the relevant components for just the ISV Titans or will the new measures extend to the rest of the Titan range. If they do what sort of effects will they have on Gas Titans? The increased robustness would be superfluous in a gasser, sure its nice that they are overbuilt but again at what penalty?

Questions, questions....

·
608 Posts
It is a redesign so maybe Nissan has done some of these things. All will be revealed when we get the specs eventually.

·
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
New spy shots really show how they have beefed up the Titan, something to definitely have a look at.
I've seen, it looks like a 2500 to be completely honest, which would make sense at least then the capability of the motor may be maximized...

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
665 Posts
The existing gas engine is already close to 400 ft.lbs. The components will need to be beefed up, but not substantially so.

·
81 Posts
I've seen, it looks like a 2500 to be completely honest, which would make sense at least then the capability of the motor may be maximized...
That's what i have noticed as well, it sure does look more upsegment than the one it replaces, which is of course a good thing, it just shows how much more they want to grow their truck market.

·
608 Posts
I read that the fuel mileage wasn't amazing and it could be because they added a lot of weight to increase capability. That would connect some of the dots.

·
55 Posts
The existing gas engine is already close to 400 ft.lbs. The components will need to be beefed up, but not substantially so.
Its not just the engine, its the type of load the new capabilities will now afford. No matter how much twist you have a half ton can't tow a 5th wheel becasue of inherent structural weakness'

·
665 Posts
Its not just the engine, its the type of load the new capabilities will now afford. No matter how much twist you have a half ton can't tow a 5th wheel becasue of inherent structural weakness'
Another example of you not knowing what you're talking about.

I've seen a number of half-ton pickups with 5th wheel setups. The key is not exceeding the total load the vehicle is capable of safely pulling.

Half ton pickups have no inherent structural weaknesses, however they can fail if grossly over loaded.

·
55 Posts
Another example of you not knowing what you're talking about.

I've seen a number of half-ton pickups with 5th wheel setups. The key is not exceeding the total load the vehicle is capable of safely pulling.

Half ton pickups have no inherent structural weaknesses, however they can fail if grossly over loaded.
Then kindly demonstrate to us your superior know how... or can you when including contradictory statements in your own posts?

Yea you could tow a 7-10,000 pound 5th wheel with your H/T but why push yourself and your truck to the razors edge? All your asking is the truck to perform past what it was intended to do. Premature failure is a consequence of overworking your tools.

towing a tin can 5th wheel camper is nothing compared to goosenecking like this...

but you must be right...

·
857 Posts
I actually see a lot of half tons making use of a fifth wheel quite often during the holidays when people try to get away to the cottage, and it's a lot of folks.

·
665 Posts
Then kindly demonstrate to us your superior know how... or can you when including contradictory statements in your own posts?

Yea you could tow a 7-10,000 pound 5th wheel with your H/T but why push yourself and your truck to the razors edge? All your asking is the truck to perform past what it was intended to do. Premature failure is a consequence of overworking your tools.
I do not contridict myself. Anything can fail when used beyond its design limitations.

You are trying to suggest there is an inherent weakness with half-ton pickups. There is not. You are trying to suggest that 560 ft.lbs is too much for the frame, it is not.

It's worth mentioning that some current half tons are rated to tow 9000lbs, or more.

The point I'm making is that most, if not all half-tons currently available would not have an issue with the ISV. Grossly overload the truck and then you're asking for problems. The same is true of full sized 3500 series trucks.

·
19 Posts

3/4 and Full Ton trucks already offer shoppers big time power and capability. A 1/2 ton trucks suspension and chassis was never designed to handle the type of loads the 5.0 Cummins is capable of tolerating.

Towing is about more that power/torque figures right. I just don't legitimately see a half ton chassis being robust enough to tow say a fifth wheel trailer, regardless of what your engine can do you're only as capable as your weakest link.

To take full advantage of the Cummins ISV I think Nissan needs to:

Strengthen frame
Strengthen suspension
Strengthen axles
Strengthen connections between suspension axles and frame
Strengthen transmission

All of that will simultaneously add weight and cost to the Titan. The second question then becomes is will Nissan simply strengthen the relevant components for just the ISV Titans or will the new measures extend to the rest of the Titan range. If they do what sort of effects will they have on Gas Titans? The increased robustness would be superfluous in a gasser, sure its nice that they are overbuilt but again at what penalty?

Questions, questions....
Great questions. I don't think it is any big deal to have different differentials and transmissions based on the power plant. Ford has proved you can lighten the frame by using less steel with more strength, so I would expect Nissan to do the same. I think they will use different suspensions based on the engine too. I'm just guessing that the only thing in common between the high capacity diesel version and the gas versions will be the frame and body.

·
19 Posts
I have no idea, but I have faith that Nissan will do a great job with this. I'd love to see an air suspension like Dodge offers. I have owned both a Titan and a Tundra (currently own) and while I would much rather own a Tundra, I would much prefer to drive a Nissan. I have owned a lot of pickups in my life and nothing was even remotely as nice to drive as the Titan. The suspension was the reason for this. It had terrible brakes until they were recalled, but it was a lot of fun to drive for a vehicle that size. It was comfortable, steadfast on the road and amazingly nimble in emergency maneuvers. The new Titan is going to be larger and I suspect quite a bit heavier, especially with the ISV which I think weighs close to 1000 pounds. The suspension required for that engine and weight hauling capacity may be completely different than the suspension for the gas engine. Buyers of a diesel truck with huge load capabilities don't expect the same ride as a gas buyers. The good question implied by the OP is how is Nissan going to deal with these differences? My guess is as cost efficiently as possible from a manufacturing standpoint. This might mean over-building the gas trucks to some degree, but I don't think it will mean mistakenly under-building the diesel variants.

·
608 Posts

towing a tin can 5th wheel camper is nothing compared to goosenecking like this...

but you must be right...
This looks like far more than this type of truck would be expected to actually tow. Why risk completely ruining your truck like this? Not smart IMO.

·
81 Posts
I have no idea, but I have faith that Nissan will do a great job with this. I'd love to see an air suspension like Dodge offers. I have owned both a Titan and a Tundra (currently own) and while I would much rather own a Tundra, I would much prefer to drive a Nissan. I have owned a lot of pickups in my life and nothing was even remotely as nice to drive as the Titan. The suspension was the reason for this. It had terrible brakes until they were recalled, but it was a lot of fun to drive for a vehicle that size. It was comfortable, steadfast on the road and amazingly nimble in emergency maneuvers. The new Titan is going to be larger and I suspect quite a bit heavier, especially with the ISV which I think weighs close to 1000 pounds. The suspension required for that engine and weight hauling capacity may be completely different than the suspension for the gas engine. Buyers of a diesel truck with huge load capabilities don't expect the same ride as a gas buyers. The good question implied by the OP is how is Nissan going to deal with these differences? My guess is as cost efficiently as possible from a manufacturing standpoint. This might mean over-building the gas trucks to some degree, but I don't think it will mean mistakenly under-building the diesel variants.
i also have some good faith in them, that they should see some good success with them. can't wait for sales to happen

1 - 18 of 18 Posts