Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I reported this back in January of 2018 when my engine crankshaft broke and they had to replace it with a new long block, I have put a hundred and eighteen thousand miles on the new engine and now something internally has broken again it sounded just like the crankshaft broke first time with the engine knocking real bad and blue smoke coming out the exhaust,I have not had the engine tour part yet to see if it is the crankshaft that broke again but something major internally has broke I talked to Nissan they told me that the cause of the mileage that I have on the truck they will not cover anyting I talked to Cummings and they told me that Nissan has not reported any problems with their engines somebody is lying and I don't know why Nissan is covering up the problems with these engines Cummins tells me that no one has reported any problems with crankshaft breaking this is from Paul and customer service at Cummins we need to find out why Nissan is not notifying cummins or why Cummins is saying there is no problems with these engines if these engines aren't going to last over a hundred fifty thousand miles we really need to find out why, these engines cost way too much money just to be throwing them away at 118000 miles I would like to know from other people if this is happening to them.

I have a 2016 XD with a Cummins 4+4 SV and I replaced the EGR cooler at 136014 miles and the Crankshaft broke and destroyed the engine at 142040 miles, I wanted to know if other people are having the same problems with there Cummins engine?

·
279 Posts
Sorry that your truck is out of commission. Can you tell us the history of your truck? How heavy do you tow and how frequently? city driving/highway driving? This is a major issue.

·
531 Posts
Did you have "hard shifts," like some people complained? Just working on a theory in my head...

·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I pull travel trailers for a living but none of them exceed the weight limits, most of the miles are highway miles. The transmission shifts harder than most transmissions do but after all these years I've got used to it, I don't know if that has anything to do with the engine though.

·
253 Posts
I pull travel trailers for a living but none of them exceed the weight limits, most of the miles are highway miles. The transmission shifts harder than most transmissions do but after all these years I've got used to it, I don't know if that has anything to do with the engine though.
Knunn11: So sorry to hear of this repeat catastrophic problem for you! Are you still under your extended warranty that funded your long block replacement last year? Dang, this sucks! I'm sure everyone here will be interested in hearing what the problem is if indeed bottom end.

For all the newer members, here is the LONG thread with much more information-commnetary about Knunn11's broken crank and resolution last year:

https://www.titanxdforum.com/forum/569-nissan-titan-xd-defects-issues-problems/36138-engine-problems.html

·
1,324 Posts
Im so sorry to hear about this crankshaft nightmare! Please keep us updated!

Not many people have that much mileage yet - is there anyone with over 150,000 that could throw in comments? Love to hear from everyone with high mileage

·
279 Posts
After reading the other long thread, I hope you get your Titan fixed and worked out and able to continue your gig but if you are planning on getting new truck for hauling trailer for a living, I'd suggest to get a 3/4 or 1 Ton truck that would support heavier load and would probably last longer. Though you probably tow way under its MAX limit but it would lessen stress on truck. I bought my Titan to tow 7.2K lbs TT, which my previous truck can tow (F-150) but I figured if I go way below the rated towing specs it would make the truck last longer or at least I hope so. In any case, hope Nissan or Cummins helps you resolve your issue. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Knunn11,
Like most of us here, did not want to hear this for you or the Cummins.. There is no doubt something wrong. And your at the end of the issue, unfortunately.
After the first engine crank failure, was it in the same location as the recent crank failure?
When the first failure occurred, did you get any feedback or explanation as to why or what Cummins determined caused the issue?
Where both failures around the approximate same mileage? Hours of service.
When You have time please read the following Scientific Lab Test of Reason of Crankshaft Failure Diesel..It's to large for me to post here. However, after reading this, it's very possible this is a major design or mfg's flaw. Since these engines are so new for Cummins, there would be a need for a few more failures unfortunately before Cummins eyes are Wide Open to the issue. However Your Crank, both the First one and this recent one should be sent out to a Lab for Metal analysis. Then can Determine Exactly what the Cause is.. Not only would you benefit, We all would including Cummins and Nissan. I'am willing to bet, this had nothing to do with Hard Shifts.. but is a issue directly related to the Engine/Crank itself.
Please take the time to read and study this Lab Report I mentioned above. I also recommend others to read this. I come from 50 years of Aviation Reciprocating and Axial Flow engines and we occasionally have crank and axial shaft failures that have much more stress. But when we do, these components are taken to a Lab where they are able to exactly determine the cause of failure....
This is a very serious issue if in fact your situation and experience because of the miles hours of service is showing a failure when there should not be.. Let's hope we can get to the Cause.
Causes of crankshaft failure include vibration, insufficient lubrication, an over pressurized cylinder or cracks. The majority of steel crankshafts fail because of fatigue failure, which starts at the change of a cross-section in the crankshaft.
Knowledge is Power, but directed wrongly is dangerous. Enjoy Ric Fueldog67
Link Below
https://www.agkits.com/why-did-my-crankshaft-break.aspx

Attachments

·
184 Posts
I'm not sure if there are legal issues preventing it, but IF (and j think it is a big IF) Knunn11 has access to the failed ckmponents, j would be willing to contribute to cover the lab costs.

Not sure about other members on this forum, but I bought my Nissan truck because I believe the Nissan truck itself (body, jnterior, etc.) stands a better chance of lasting as long as the 500K miles I am expecting to get out of the Cummins 5.0.

If there is a fundamental flaw I the design of the engine, or the implementation by Nissan in the XD chassis, it is in my nature to get in front of it ASAP.

IF we have access to the failed components, we would also consider electing a member (preferably experienced in commissioning and reviewing similar lab results). Fueldog, Arice and a couple of other experienced members here come to mind, but it is not for any of us to lay expectations on anyone else here (sorry for name-droppjng, guys!)

It is unfortunate, but i do not believe Nissan NA nor Cummins are feeling "motivated" as of yet to get in front of this. In the meantime, we should catalog all crank failures. Is it possible for a Mod here to manage a dedicated thread, where each single post HAS to represent an actual failure (without repetition, and with any available data)? This will require some discipline from all of us to ensure that it does not become some bitching thread, but could be used to collect actual data.

Thoughts?

Russ

·
118 Posts
Wow that sucks! I have been buying trucks every 3 years and thought the XD would be my last, I know people who claim they got close to a million miles on a Cummins. I know a crank is under a lot of stress, but if you drop one on the shop floor from 4ft they will break. I know you did not drop it, I am just mystified they don't cover it. I would see if the National highway safety board, can put some input into it. good luck man.

·
1,331 Posts
Wow that sucks! I have been buying trucks every 3 years and thought the XD would be my last, I know people who claim they got close to a million miles on a Cummins. I know a crank is under a lot of stress, but if you drop one on the shop floor from 4ft they will break. I know you did not drop it, I am just mystified they don't cover it. I would see if the National highway safety board, can put some input into it. good luck man.
Well warranty is 5 year 100k, so unfortunately both times it happened he exceeded the warranty limitations.

Wonder what oil was used and if it was used in both engines that failed?

·
421 Posts
I'm really curious and wanting to see what happened this time and wear it happened. Definitely would like to know what oil he was using.

·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have never pulled any trailer close to the rated weight limit of 12000 lb. Here are a list of some of the trailers that I have pulled this is the shipping weight. 3032, 3032, 4325,4355,4355,4638,5315,5500,5755,5250,5595,5835,5750,5105,5105,5260,5500,6025,6797,6857,6156,6879,6455,6038,6892,6058,7675,7496,7720,7675,8575,8250,8544,8109,8701,9680 as you can see most are 5000-7000 lbs. The reason I bought this truck and to use it for hauling RVs the front seat fold all the way down flat and I was able to make a bed where I can sleep in my truck on the passenger side and stretch out and be comfortable. Unfortunately I don't have an extended warranty anymore so the cost is all going to be on me, Nissan and Cummins won't help me. Also I have installed 3 EGR cooler and one left rear axle the bearings went bad and you have to replace the entire axle not just the bearing.

·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have always use rotella T5 and replaced the oil every 10000 miles as per the warranty. When the crankshaft broke in the first engine the bearings looked fine no problem no wear on the bearings so I don't think it 4.jpg is the oil.

·
1,300 Posts
Wonder what oil was used and if it was used in both engines that failed?
My thoughts exactly. What are your oil change intervals???.

In those pictures of your last crankshaft that broke there is a nice Blue color to the metal which means lots of heat, too much heat. Heat is from a lack of lube or something slightly off in the build process but it would have failed much sooner... Totally sucks hope you get it figured out.

·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm not sure if there are legal issues preventing it, but IF (and j think it is a big IF) Knunn11 has access to the failed ckmponents, j would be willing to contribute to cover the lab costs.

Not sure about other members on this forum, but I bought my Nissan truck because I believe the Nissan truck itself (body, jnterior, etc.) stands a better chance of lasting as long as the 500K miles I am expecting to get out of the Cummins 5.0.

If there is a fundamental flaw I the design of the engine, or the implementation by Nissan in the XD chassis, it is in my nature to get in front of it ASAP.

IF we have access to the failed components, we would also consider electing a member (preferably experienced in commissioning and reviewing similar lab results). Fueldog, Arice and a couple of other experienced members here come to mind, but it is not for any of us to lay expectations on anyone else here (sorry for name-droppjng, guys!)

It is unfortunate, but i do not believe Nissan NA nor Cummins are feeling "motivated" as of yet to get in front of this. In the meantime, we should catalog all crank failures. Is it possible for a Mod here to manage a dedicated thread, where each single post HAS to represent an actual failure (without repetition, and with any available data)? This will require some discipline from all of us to ensure that it does not become some bitching thread, but could be used to collect actual data.

Thoughts?

Russ
Russ I still have the frist engine I haven't had a chance to see what broke on the second engine I talked to Cummins and they told me they have not had any reports of any crankshaft breaking so either they're lying Orr Nissan is not reporting them to Cummins. I don't have the money to send it to a lab to have it analyzed, I was hoping that Nissan or Cummins would want to take it and see what made it break but they don't care.

·
1,331 Posts
Knunnn11, so are you getting it fixed? With 270k miles I wonder what the value is. Hate to see you dump $13k into it only to get $12k in trade value.

·
769 Posts
Check cyl # 5. The crank is possibly being broken by external factors. Some have had an injector get commanded full open and has locked the cyl and broken the crank. The ones lucky enough to get it fixed before explosion find it's the wiring harness failure. One guy had 3 of the same injector replaced just to in the end get the harness replaced as well. Sorry about this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 78 Posts