Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Check cyl # 5. The crank is possibly being broken by external factors. Some have had an injector get commanded full open and has locked the cyl and broken the crank. The ones lucky enough to get it fixed before explosion find it's the wiring harness failure. One guy had 3 of the same injector replaced just to in the end get the harness replaced as well. Sorry about this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's not the injectors because they used the old ones and the wireing harness is the same.

·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Knunnn11, so are you getting it fixed? With 270k miles I wonder what the value is. Hate to see you dump $13k into it only to get $12k in trade value.
I still owe a lot of money on this truck so I'm going to have to get it fixed or pay for a truck I can't use.

·
531 Posts
Someone posted a theory about people with hard shifts having the wrong transmission mount installed. He apparently noticed everyone (4 examined) that had hard shifts also had the same transmission mount, while some people had different mounts and did not have hard shifts. I guess there are different mounts for the gas XD, the diesel XD and the non XD. They are all similar just a little different in size. Since you have "hard shifts," I'm just wondering if the transmission mount is wrong causing an incorrect angle on how the trans and engine crankshaft are connected. Could be putting excessive strain on it, maybe that makes no sense but I'm just thinking out loud... but both engine cranks go at similar miles, and the only thing that's the same, and related to the crankshaft, is the transmission. Another fella went through 3 motors, same truck, all the motors went about 30k miles before popping. He got into a lemon deal and got an 18, which has been better for him, and shifts better hmmm

·
273 Posts
Someone posted a theory about people with hard shifts having the wrong transmission mount installed. He apparently noticed everyone (4 examined) that had hard shifts also had the same transmission mount, while some people had different mounts and did not have hard shifts. I guess there are different mounts for the gas XD, the diesel XD and the non XD. They are all similar just a little different in size. Since you have "hard shifts," I'm just wondering if the transmission mount is wrong causing an incorrect angle on how the trans and engine crankshaft are connected. Could be putting excessive strain on it, maybe that makes no sense but I'm just thinking out loud... but both engine cranks go at similar miles, and the only thing that's the same, and related to the crankshaft, is the transmission. Another fella went through 3 motors, same truck, all the motors went about 30k miles before popping. He got into a lemon deal and got an 18, which has been better for him, and shifts better hmmm
The ram 3500 shifts hard as well. It's the nature of that asin model. Mounts would be very different between gas and diesel as well. This sounds like a design flaw in the engine

·
531 Posts
Mine is extremely smooth, "hard shift" has never crossed my mind. The person also posted images of the 3 different mounts and they're pretty similar.

·
253 Posts
Russ I still have the frist engine I haven't had a chance to see what broke on the second engine I talked to Cummins and they told me they have not had any reports of any crankshaft breaking so either they're lying Orr Nissan is not reporting them to Cummins. I don't have the money to send it to a lab to have it analyzed, I was hoping that Nissan or Cummins would want to take it and see what made it break but they don't care.
Knunn11-- It is a shame that they don't care...they should-this is important to their whole ISV program...a failure analysis--by Cummins --is in order for sure. Man-I know you are a busy guy--clearly no one else has put this many miles on these engines.

I'm reposting below what I said in January 2018...I think it is still valid. I think it is worth your time to prepare a package of data/pictures and follow-up with Cummins--not the guy on the phone but the GM of the Columbus, IN plant. Fellow forum members--how can we help him with social media on this? Please see thoughts below.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Knunn11: Well that is disappointing to say the least. But consistent with what I heard when I called them over a year ago on a silly question about the red EGR cover on the show engines. Basically, in a nice way-- "Nissan has all responsibility for that engine so you'll have to deal with them."

Cummins obviously sold the engine to a "launch customer" in the auto/truck space--likely for cheap to get going with it. And Nissan took on all responsibility for it...and is losing money to "hopefully" make money down the road. So no one is interested in helping you out. If your warranty company keeps balking on it too, maybe you can try other avenues.

I maintain that --if for reputational purposes/business risk only--someone in the chain of command at Cummins ought to be interested in getting that crank to do a failure analysis on it. And that should be worth $10,000 to pay you to get a replacement engine. The guy on the phone is trained to do what he did--but push back.

My humble suggestion: Try to get someone on the phone in management at the Columbus plant--or simply write to them addressed to the general manager of the Columbus plant.

Lay it out for them:
--You put 142,000 miles on the engine in a relatively short period of time (because of your work or whatever...)
--You did all the maintenance and regular oil changes
--You did not tune or modify the engine
--Your main bearings looked good...no oil starvation
--Your crank failed without warning or explanation
--Cummins needs to understand the failure mode and implications for their V-8 program including the ISV--which has the exact same bottom-end parts as the Nissan motor.
--You'd like for them to have the parts back to do this, but you need financial compensation to replace your engine--what are they willing to do?

If they tell you to jump off a bridge, refer you to Nissan again, or lowball you on an offer of help, kindly suggest that you will have to take to social media channels to "share your plight."

And then "crank-shame" the living cra_ out of them on Facebook, Twitter etc. Every avenue you can find.

--post the pictures
--use catchy title/hashtags like "Cummins-not what it used to be" or "Cummins V-8 breaks-company says so what" or "Cummins ISV-waiting to fail?"
--get everyone you can to retweet the post...work it with everyone you know.

Their PR/Communications/Social media team WILL pick this up...and will have to respond. There is a lot of power in these tools.

If I were the GM of the Cummins plant- I'd OK a $10K payment to get the parts and do the right thing to get to the bottom of it. The old "Warranty is up" or "Nissan has to do this" is BULLCRA_. If this in not a one off casting or machining flaw--which I'd sure be hoping to heck it is if I were them--they need to be seriously looking at this. BTW--in a way, your high level of use has shown them there is a mean time between failure of 142,000 miles for these engines. Unless there are ISV school bus or motor home motors (and how many of those are there) with a lot more miles, this is the mark...and that sucks unless it is one-off. Tell them you did them a favor by putting 142,000 miles on the motor in less than 2 years

Nissan doesn't care--even though they should--Cummins can't afford the reputational risk--their whole business is built on BRAND and reliability--CRA_ like this hurts their brand--when people hear of it.

Good luck...man, this sucks....

·
769 Posts

This turned out to be fake news.

·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
You mentioned towing. And seems like you tow alot. Some reason you decided to stay with the 10k oil change interval instead of using the severe duty 5k schedule?

The new synthetic oils last longer, when the frist engine broke at 142040 the service tech said there was no evidence of any wear on the bearings and that didn't cause the problem with the crankshaft. In the big Cummins engines there are engines getting 500000 miles on the same oil with bypass filters. I think severe duty conditions are a lot of City driving and off-road or hide dirt environments my miles are all highway miles and clean conditions. Remember most of the trailers I pull are half of what is maximum for this truck.

·
769 Posts
The new synthetic oils last longer, when the frist engine broke at 142040 the service tech said there was no evidence of any wear on the bearings and that didn't cause the problem with the crankshaft. In the big Cummins engines there are engines getting 500000 miles on the same oil with bypass filters. I think severe duty conditions are a lot of City driving and off-road or hide dirt environments my miles are all highway miles and clean conditions. Remember most of the trailers I pull are half of what is maximum for this truck.

No I didn't think the oil was to blame. Just curious why you didn't. That's all. Still extremely weird these cranks breaking.

·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
500k?

Mistyped right?

You meant 50k i bet

Who told you half million mile oil? Liars!
On the large diesel engines if you put a bypass filter and do oil samples you can run the same oil until the base needs to be replaced. The oil last a long time if you change the filter.

·
185 Posts
Hi folks

Really don't wat to let this thread fizzle... Knunn's expecrience could be all of us when we start hitting decent (120K+) miles (unlikely, I know, unless there is a fundamental issue with the motor and its implementation in our XD chassis/transmission, etc.).

Anyone got experience with heading up a social media campaign to bring attention to this issue? I suppose we could start a Yelp thread, but that's not a solid way to go, IMO.

Thoughts? Input?

Thanks

russ

·
769 Posts
Hi folks

Really don't wat to let this thread fizzle... Knunn's expecrience could be all of us when we start hitting decent (120K+) miles (unlikely, I know, unless there is a fundamental issue with the motor and its implementation in our XD chassis/transmission, etc.).

Anyone got experience with heading up a social media campaign to bring attention to this issue? I suppose we could start a Yelp thread, but that's not a solid way to go, IMO.

Thoughts? Input?

Thanks

russ

A report to the nhsta needs to happen along with all the crank failures. That's the only way to throw this at Nissan without having thousands of us. 2 from the same guy has to blow this open.

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
Russ I still have the frist engine I haven't had a chance to see what broke on the second engine I talked to Cummins and they told me they have not had any reports of any crankshaft breaking so either they're lying Orr Nissan is not reporting them to Cummins. I don't have the money to send it to a lab to have it analyzed, I was hoping that Nissan or Cummins would want to take it and see what made it break but they don't care.
Knunn11-- It is a shame that they don't care...they should-this is important to their whole ISV program...a failure analysis--by Cummins --is in order for sure. Man-I know you are a busy guy--clearly no one else has put this many miles on these engines.

I'm reposting below what I said in January 2018...I think it is still valid. I think it is worth your time to prepare a package of data/pictures and follow-up with Cummins--not the guy on the phone but the GM of the Columbus, IN plant. Fellow forum members--how can we help him with social media on this? Please see thoughts below.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Knunn11: Well that is disappointing to say the least. But consistent with what I heard when I called them over a year ago on a silly question about the red EGR cover on the show engines. Basically, in a nice way-- "Nissan has all responsibility for that engine so you'll have to deal with them."

Cummins obviously sold the engine to a "launch customer" in the auto/truck space--likely for cheap to get going with it. And Nissan took on all responsibility for it...and is losing money to "hopefully" make money down the road. So no one is interested in helping you out. If your warranty company keeps balking on it too, maybe you can try other avenues.

I maintain that --if for reputational purposes/business risk only--someone in the chain of command at Cummins ought to be interested in getting that crank to do a failure analysis on it. And that should be worth $10,000 to pay you to get a replacement engine. The guy on the phone is trained to do what he did--but push back.

My humble suggestion: Try to get someone on the phone in management at the Columbus plant--or simply write to them addressed to the general manager of the Columbus plant.

Lay it out for them:
--You put 142,000 miles on the engine in a relatively short period of time (because of your work or whatever...)
--You did all the maintenance and regular oil changes
--You did not tune or modify the engine
--Your main bearings looked good...no oil starvation
--Your crank failed without warning or explanation
--Cummins needs to understand the failure mode and implications for their V-8 program including the ISV--which has the exact same bottom-end parts as the Nissan motor.
--You'd like for them to have the parts back to do this, but you need financial compensation to replace your engine--what are they willing to do?

If they tell you to jump off a bridge, refer you to Nissan again, or lowball you on an offer of help, kindly suggest that you will have to take to social media channels to "share your plight."

And then "crank-shame" the living cra_ out of them on Facebook, Twitter etc. Every avenue you can find.

--post the pictures
--use catchy title/hashtags like "Cummins-not what it used to be" or "Cummins V-8 breaks-company says so what" or "Cummins ISV-waiting to fail?"
--get everyone you can to retweet the post...work it with everyone you know.

Their PR/Communications/Social media team WILL pick this up...and will have to respond. There is a lot of power in these tools.

If I were the GM of the Cummins plant- I'd OK a $10K payment to get the parts and do the right thing to get to the bottom of it. The old "Warranty is up" or "Nissan has to do this" is BULLCRA_. If this in not a one off casting or machining flaw--which I'd sure be hoping to heck it is if I were them--they need to be seriously looking at this. BTW--in a way, your high level of use has shown them there is a mean time between failure of 142,000 miles for these engines. Unless there are ISV school bus or motor home motors (and how many of those are there) with a lot more miles, this is the mark...and that sucks unless it is one-off. Tell them you did them a favor by putting 142,000 miles on the motor in less than 2 years

Nissan doesn't care--even though they should--Cummins can't afford the reputational risk--their whole business is built on BRAND and reliability--CRA_ like this hurts their brand--when people hear of it.

Good luck...man, this sucks....
Not very familiar with the truck and engine market. Do Chevy owners contact Isuzu when a Duramax has issues? No. Would Isuzu respond? No. Do Dodge owners go to Cummins and get answers on Dodges? No.Would Cummins respond? No. Did Ford owners go to International (Navistar) and get answers on Powerstrokes? No. Would International have responded? No.
Its agreements all engine manufacturers have with OEMs and has been that way for a long time.

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
You mentioned towing. And seems like you tow alot. Some reason you decided to stay with the 10k oil change interval instead of using the severe duty 5k schedule?

No engine, not even the "big rigs" gets 500k in mileage on a single oil change with bypass filtration. Just simply not true.

·
14 Posts
Does anyone know if the new long block comes with a new EGR condenser, or do they reinstall the old one? Thanks.

21 - 40 of 78 Posts