Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
560 Posts
Does anyone know if the new long block comes with a new EGR condenser, or do they reinstall the old one? Thanks.
My crankshaft broke as well. Got replaced with a new long block. And the EGR condenser was taken from the broken engine to the new long block.

·
9 Posts
Hi guys I'm new to this forum, but I'm just curious as to what your break in procedure on the engine(s) when it was new? I own a Titan XD and haven't had any issues as of yet with anything on my truck and I haul my 10k trailer pretty regularly.

·
302 Posts
Hi guys I'm new to this forum, but I'm just curious as to what your break in procedure on the engine(s) when it was new? I own a Titan XD and haven't had any issues as of yet with anything on my truck and I haul my 10k trailer pretty regularly.
Just drive it like you would, its not rocket science.

·
3 Posts
I reported this back in January of 2018 when my engine crankshaft broke and they had to replace it with a new long block, I have put a hundred and eighteen thousand miles on the new engine and now something internally has broken again it sounded just like the crankshaft broke first time with the engine knocking real bad and blue smoke coming out the exhaust,I have not had the engine tour part yet to see if it is the crankshaft that broke again but something major internally has broke I talked to Nissan they told me that the cause of the mileage that I have on the truck they will not cover anyting I talked to Cummings and they told me that Nissan has not reported any problems with their engines somebody is lying and I don't know why Nissan is covering up the problems with these engines Cummins tells me that no one has reported any problems with crankshaft breaking this is from Paul and customer service at Cummins we need to find out why Nissan is not notifying cummins or why Cummins is saying there is no problems with these engines if these engines aren't going to last over a hundred fifty thousand miles we really need to find out why, these engines cost way too much money just to be throwing them away at 118000 miles I would like to know from other people if this is happening to them.

I have a 2016 XD with a Cummins 4+4 SV and I replaced the EGR cooler at 136014 miles and the Crankshaft broke and destroyed the engine at 142040 miles, I wanted to know if other people are having the same problems with there Cummins engine?
I have a 2017 my rod bearing went out @ 72,000 miles started knocking got worse and worse as I was towing my Rv !! I stopped unattached drove another 18 miles to Nissan dealer and my crank broke 2 miles out ! I’m at 94,000 and now my transmission is throwing a code only when I tow a load otherwise it’s off ! When I tow it will stop down shifting and the temperature goes all the way hot pull over and let it cool off and it will do the same unless I put it in 5th and leave it it will run normal temp. I’ve taken it back to Nissan twice and they reprogram it and say there’s nothing wrong with it because there are no malfunctions other than the temp while towing but I know that the heat will eventually win if it’s not fixed anyone had this problem ?

·
3 Posts
Meant to mention the engine was replaced with a motor from Cummings the intake is the only not replaced turbo was replaced also. I asked to be informed of the cause of failure but haven’t heard anything other than the rod bearing went bad and as it got more and more slack it finally came out and the rod banging the crank caused it to break

·
9 Posts
Just drive it like you would, its not rocket science.
There is a break in procedure on ANY new engine and it's definitely not "drive it like you plan on driving it" so therein may lie some of your problem. Im pretty sure MY owner's manual said something about not towing over 55 mph for like 500 miles yada, yada. There's no need to be sarcastic about it btw, when someone is asking a simple legitimate question and this comment is directed at everyone that decided to come up with some stupid little remark in response to my comment.

·
580 Posts
There is a break in procedure on ANY new engine and it's definitely not "drive it like you plan on driving it" so therein may lie some of your problem. Im pretty sure MY owner's manual said something about not towing over 55 mph for like 500 miles yada, yada. There's no need to be sarcastic about it btw, when someone is asking a simple legitimate question and this comment is directed at everyone that decided to come up with some stupid little remark in response to my comment.
Here are the Diesel engine break-in recommendations from the owners manual. There is no prohibition on towing, and no prohibition on driving speed. Subject to the following recommendations, just drive it like you plan on driving it.

Here they are:

·
580 Posts

·
59 Posts
Here are the Diesel engine break-in recommendations from the owners manual. There is no prohibition on towing, and no prohibition on driving speed. Subject to the following recommendations, just drive it like you plan on driving it.

Here they are:

View attachment 44423
That’s pretty much nothing more than normal operation recommendation with the exception of varying the speed during this “period”.

My service adviser just told me to drive it, tow it, don’t worry about it after the new long block install. I obliged him

·
9 Posts
That’s pretty much nothing more than normal operation recommendation with the exception of varying the speed during this “period”.

My service adviser just told me to drive it, tow it, don’t worry about it after the new long block install. I obliged him

So your service advisor literally told you to ignore the publication Nissan officially produced to inform their customers of the correct break in procedure to avoid damage to components and cause problems later? Find a new service advisor.

·
9 Posts
I am pretty sure Nissan and Cummins backed by a plethora of research know a little bit better than anyone posting on here the correct way to break in their own products and if you dont think so, you're probably one of the people posting pics of broken crankshafts that obviously got hot enough to discolor the journals.

·
1,088 Posts
I am pretty sure Nissan and Cummins backed by a plethora of research know a little bit better than anyone posting on here the correct way to break in their own products and if you dont think so, you're probably one of the people posting pics of broken crankshafts that obviously got hot enough to discolor the journals.
You seriously think these motors arent broke in at the factory? If not then why arent we having to run break in oil at first? Warm motor to operating temp then turning off and letting cool? Dude I've been around this shit my whole life, if these motors needed to be broke in by us then we have have a whole lot more to do then what that "manual" says

·
9 Posts
Obviously you don't even know the difference between a motor and an engine so it sounds to me like you wasted a large portion of your life.

·
1,088 Posts
Obviously you don't even know the difference between a motor and an engine so it sounds to me like you wasted a large portion of your life.
Oh lord you are one of those people. Yeah I'll just leave, I cant deal with you

·
9 Posts
One of what people? The kind of people that are somewhat educated and know that just because they have done the same thing wrong all their life, doesn't mean it's any more right? Obviously YOU'RE one of those people and by those people I mean the type of person that is NEVER wrong and everything that happens in their life is someone else's fault. I bet you by voted for Hillary.

41 - 60 of 78 Posts