Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Titan xd diesel for only 18,800 miles it's been in the service center 14 times it's been towed in twice. I bought the truck in hopes that it would be the last truck I would owen in my life time ( I'm 73 ) that been said has anyone have the crankshaft crack in two with only 18,000 miles? I drove big rigs for over 35 years and only saw and heard of one cracking. I have a camera installed in the bed of the truck in order to hook up my converted 5 th wheel to a goose neck, I added airbags for a better ride and added a electrical plug to the bed for the trailer plug. Truck runs like a bat out of **** when it's running, the transmission break is out standing and the look is great. (silver black rims) what other issues am I to look forward to with the truck. So far warranty department taking care of everything but down time sucks.

·
895 Posts
It shouldn't be a concern. So far so good with that one not happening to the majority. You have warranty and will get a new motor. If not or Nissan gives you a hard time please state it so we can learn and others won't thereby purchase an XD trk! Other than that, there are a few concerning issues if you read through forum topics.

·
118 Posts
I've had my Titan xd diesel for only 18,800 miles it's been in the service center 14 times it's been towed in twice. I bought the truck in hopes that it would be the last truck I would owen in my life time ( I'm 73 ) that been said has anyone have the crankshaft crack in two with only 18,000 miles? I drove big rigs for over 35 years and only saw and heard of one cracking. I have a camera installed in the bed of the truck in order to hook up my converted 5 th wheel to a goose neck, I added airbags for a better ride and added a electrical plug to the bed for the trailer plug. Truck runs like a bat out of **** when it's running, the transmission break is out standing and the look is great. (silver black rims) what other issues am I to look forward to with the truck. So far warranty department taking care of everything but down time sucks.
Oldestsanti if you don't mind I would like to get the year and build date of your truck. I will add it to a list of these crankshaft failures that I have discovered on this forum and a couple of Facebook groups. I assume that your truck is stock and not deleted.

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought the Titan September of 2016 in stockton ca. Were would I find the built day? I think it is somewhere in the ViN?

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am not going to have access to the pick up for about two months. It's been in the shop for about 3 weeks, they tried to find out what was wrong and during that time the starter was burn out and the wiring harness were burn out. those item had to be replace before they found out that the crank was faulty, now they have to order a new engine and installed it so I have no clue when I'm getting my pick-up back. I have started a case with North America Nissan consumers affair in case if there are any other problems. Some where down the line someone is going to start a class action suit.

·
273 Posts
I am not going to have access to the pick up for about two months. It's been in the shop for about 3 weeks, they tried to find out what was wrong and during that time the starter was burn out and the wiring harness were burn out. those item had to be replace before they found out that the crank was faulty, now they have to order a new engine and installed it so I have no clue when I'm getting my pick-up back. I have started a case with North America Nissan consumers affair in case if there are any other problems. Some where down the line someone is going to start a class action suit.
class action suit...for what? That's why you have a warranty. There's not hundreds of broken cranks. There's a handful of reports, one or two were over 100k miles. It sucks, but it sounds like Nissan is taking care of it. Coworker's neighbor had a 2017 F-250 Start on fire while warming up in his driveway. Things happen, it's not a trend yet. Hopefully they get it sorted and take care of you with a good loaner vehicle.

Also, out of the broken crank searches I tried... checkout Duramax. Now there's a LOT of broken crank results for a diesel. Probably followed by Ford (and it's endless motor changes), then cummins.

·
422 Posts
Lol nobody could even get anything off the ground for a class action on the 6.0 stroke with it's issues. There is no way anything is going to happen here

·
712 Posts
What good is the warranty when you don't have use of your truck for 2-3 months?
They'll give you a Sentra to drive, and your nice truck will sit in the dealer's shop like furniture.

Not to mention the starter and wiring they burnt up trying to figure out that the engine was junk.
Great troubleshooting skiils there.

·
47 Posts
How does a crank break. That’s crazy

·
273 Posts
What good is the warranty when you don't have use of your truck for 2-3 months?
They'll give you a Sentra to drive, and your nice truck will sit in the dealer's shop like furniture.

Not to mention the starter and wiring they burnt up trying to figure out that the engine was junk.
Great troubleshooting skiils there.
What are your (crazy) expectations?

It sucks, nobody will argue... But it's being covered. That's what good a warranty is for. Hopefully you never have a house fire. What good is insurance if you can't sleep in a perfect home after it gets burned to the ground. Theyll put you in a hotel while your nice house sits being fixed. Seem odd yet?

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
My first day running a DS/GS Maintenance Company in the Army I walk thru the bays and find two mechanics changing out completely two GM 6.2 litre diesel engines. I said..."Gentlemen..why are we completely changing out these engines? Not much on a 6.2 that can't be fixed in frame unless they've been dusted." Response was...."Well Chief.. the crankshafts are broken".…..I said "Okay, well before you finish completely pulling them out let's drop the oil pan and look"...No broke cranks....just bad harmonic balancers. They thought the "wobble" was a broke crank?.
I guess I'd really have to see some pictorial evidence of broken cranks in the XD Cummins or any other diesel or gas for that matter.
I've only seen four broke cranks in 30 years of maintaining and building diesel and gas engines. Three were gas engines that were converted to CNG without a stainless crank setup and one was a 8V92TA Detroit that was running a hotter setup than any engine should ever be ran.
Every other time I've heard of broken cranks it's always been word of mouth with tech/mechanic not able to provide any real evidence.
Curious to see how the OP issue resolves itself. Not doubting him but doubting Nissan techs who need to stick with Altimas and quit guessing on Cummins.
There has been reported issues of loose accessories and pulleys...wonder if they saw some wobble?

·
712 Posts
What are your (crazy) expectations?
I don't think it's crazy to expect that if I pay $50K or more for a vehicle that I'll have full use of it.
Not get visitation rights at the local dealership because it's living there for a few months at a time.

Even when the Powerstrokes were taking a dump left and right, and techs could pull a Ford cab quicker than NASCAR pit crews could change tires, did I ever hear about someone's truck being at the dealer for MONTHS.

The biggest issue is that Nissan doesn't seem to care. They have your money, so you'll just have to eat **** and grin about it.

·
185 Posts
My first day running a DS/GS Maintenance Company in the Army I walk thru the bays and find two mechanics changing out completely two GM 6.2 litre diesel engines. I said..."Gentlemen..why are we completely changing out these engines? Not much on a 6.2 that can't be fixed in frame unless they've been dusted." Response was...."Well Chief.. the crankshafts are broken".…..I said "Okay, well before you finish completely pulling them out let's drop the oil pan and look"...No broke cranks....just bad harmonic balancers. They thought the "wobble" was a broke crank?.
I guess I'd really have to see some pictorial evidence of broken cranks in the XD Cummins or any other diesel or gas for that matter.
I've only seen four broke cranks in 30 years of maintaining and building diesel and gas engines. Three were gas engines that were converted to CNG without a stainless crank setup and one was a 8V92TA Detroit that was running a hotter setup than any engine should ever be ran.
Every other time I've heard of broken cranks it's always been word of mouth with tech/mechanic not able to provide any real evidence.
Curious to see how the OP issue resolves itself. Not doubting him but doubting Nissan techs who need to stick with Altimas and quit guessing on Cummins.
There has been reported issues of loose accessories and pulleys...wonder if they saw some wobble?

I have personally seen 3 broken Duramax cranks. It happens.

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
crankshaft update

Well after finding out what was wrong with my Titan it took under a week to get and ok from the warranty department at Nissan and they have shipped a new motor and the dealership says they will have my Titan ready in a week. I was kinda surprise how fast they said it would take to get me back in my pickup, after taking three weeks to get and installed a starter. Well I guess the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

·
273 Posts
Well after finding out what was wrong with my Titan it took under a week to get and ok from the warranty department at Nissan and they have shipped a new motor and the dealership says they will have my Titan ready in a week. I was kinda surprise how fast they said it would take to get me back in my pickup, after taking three weeks to get and installed a starter. Well I guess the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
That's good news. Glad it's going smoothly

1 - 20 of 37 Posts