Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
Appreciate the referral back to that post. There was some good (and really bad) discussion and points in the forum. I still believe it's a fluke due to cast and machining run or harmonics problems due to exterior accessories

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Anyone have problems from Michigan with a Platinum reserve 4 wheel drive black 1017 Titan that was hard starting in the cold and had it buy back from Nissan North America. It has 8,000 miles and is being sold in Arizona? I have someone call me interested in the truck, it is being sold for 40,000$ . Can't really find anymore information besides Car Fax. Any suggestions?

·
3 Posts
Oldestsanti if you don't mind I would like to get the year and build date of your truck. I will add it to a list of these crankshaft failures that I have discovered on this forum and a couple of Facebook groups. I assume that your truck is stock and not deleted.
Just broke mine two weeks ago. Had a diesel repair company look at it and he notice md slight wobble in the crankshaft pulley. Said he was certain it was broke. Took it to Nissan dealership and they said they weren’t sure what the problem is. Apparently a little wobble on the crankshaft pulley is ok... Don’t think so. They then called me and told me that Nissan Consumer Affairs said they weren’t going to help. I called Nissan Consumer Affairs And they said they hadn’t denied or accepted to help yet because they didn’t have a diagnosis. So, the dealership in Council Bluffs Iowa (Edwards Nissan) lied to me. Then the tech came down with Covid all the sudden and he wasn’t sure what was wrong with it. Previously they had a deleted AND tuned nissan come in with a blown motor and their response was “oh cool we don’t know you could delete these. They gave him a free motor. Mine is a 2017 Nissan Titan XD born on 7/17 with 109k miles. I found out when I went to do the def delete that it previously had a 140hp tune on it and was returned to stock when traded in. I drove it 40k miles and the crankshaft broke. Little ticked off at this moment. There shouldn’t have been a warranty offered and I feel that the ECM should’ve been looked at and mods disclosed to me before I bought it. Thoughts?

·
188 Posts
My first day running a DS/GS Maintenance Company in the Army I walk thru the bays and find two mechanics changing out completely two GM 6.2 litre diesel engines. I said..."Gentlemen..why are we completely changing out these engines? Not much on a 6.2 that can't be fixed in frame unless they've been dusted." Response was...."Well Chief.. the crankshafts are broken".…..I said "Okay, well before you finish completely pulling them out let's drop the oil pan and look"...No broke cranks....just bad harmonic balancers. They thought the "wobble" was a broke crank?.
I guess I'd really have to see some pictorial evidence of broken cranks in the XD Cummins or any other diesel or gas for that matter.
I've only seen four broke cranks in 30 years of maintaining and building diesel and gas engines. Three were gas engines that were converted to CNG without a stainless crank setup and one was a 8V92TA Detroit that was running a hotter setup than any engine should ever be ran.
Every other time I've heard of broken cranks it's always been word of mouth with tech/mechanic not able to provide any real evidence.
Curious to see how the OP issue resolves itself. Not doubting him but doubting Nissan techs who need to stick with Altimas and quit guessing on Cummins.
There has been reported issues of loose accessories and pulleys...wonder if they saw some wobble?
Some logical answers would help. There are far to many reported crank issues to ignore. If some do what you said is true then why and how hasn’t a dealer found this yet.

·
3 Posts
Oldestsanti if you don't mind I would like to get the year and build date of your truck. I will add it to a list of these crankshaft failures that I have discovered on this forum and a couple of Facebook groups. I assume that your truck is stock and not deleted.
Hey folks! 2017 Nissan Titan XD Cummins.
Broke crankshaft at 109k. Nissan Consumer Affairs told me I was still in the grace period on age as mine was built 6/17 and its 7/20 and that they maybe be able to help. Today they called and denied me any help because I was 73K outside of the mileage warranty 🤬 I told her when I bought it I was told I had a bumper to bumper warranty of 100k or 3 years. I’ll never buy a nissan again. I owe $24k on it what’s the cost of a motor? $10-12k? So they can sit on the $36k they’ve put in it and I’ll let it him my credit for 7 years and then have it cleared. I have two other vehicles with loans on them so I’m good. I’ll never buy a Nissan again tho. 👍

·
669 Posts
Hey folks! 2017 Nissan Titan XD Cummins.
Broke crankshaft at 109k. Nissan Consumer Affairs told me I was still in the grace period on age as mine was built 6/17 and its 7/20 and that they maybe be able to help. Today they called and denied me any help because I was 73K outside of the mileage warranty 🤬 I told her when I bought it I was told I had a bumper to bumper warranty of 100k or 3 years. I’ll never buy a nissan again. I owe $24k on it what’s the cost of a motor? $10-12k? So they can sit on the $36k they’ve put in it and I’ll let it him my credit for 7 years and then have it cleared. I have two other vehicles with loans on them so I’m good. I’ll never buy a Nissan again tho. 👍
You’ve been lied to. You had the 100k warranty, so you’re only 9k over. They should help you with a % if you treat them nice and try opening a case. You’re dealer can open a case too.

·
3 Posts
Well now they realized they were wrong and they said they won’t help now because I’ve been changing my own oil. I was raised on a farm and have been changing oil in tractors, combines and everything else for 30 plus years. I’ve spent $80k over the last three years and this is my second Titan. Traded the first one in for this XD and never had any problems. I definitely will not be buying Nissan from here out. They’re a bunch of liars. Changing their story twice. Done with them. It’s no wonder they quit making them All these forums are mostly about bad things. Maybe more people are checking reviews and forums before they buy 🤷‍♂️ Anyway, I’m going back to the BIG three.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts