Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, it's been years since I have been on this forum. A little background on me. I am now on my 4th Titan owned, with an Armada also in between. I first bought a 2004 Titan XE King Cab that was bought back after the early rear diff issues. That truck was replaced with a 2005 Titan SE Crew Cab that i eventually traded for a 2007 Armada SE. I missed having a truck so I went back a couple years later and picked up a 2008 Titan LE Cew Cab. After a few years I wanted to try something different and purchased a 2014 Tundra 1794 Crew Cab. The Tundra was nothing but a pain and plagued with issues so I decided to go back to a 2017 Titan XD Platinum Reserve with the Cummins. About a weeks ago it developed an audible knock that started at start up and started getting worse. No warning lights, oil pressure and level was good. Took to dealer and the verified engine long block needs replaced. They are not sure why until cummins digs into it once they get it back. So much for waiting on a 2nd year to get the "bugs" worked out! ?

·
629 Posts
That sucks, good thing you didn't delete your truck, could be reason to deny a new engine. This is the first engine replacement I've heard of at such low miles. Keep us posted on what caused this.

·
246 Posts
That's really unfortunate...sorry for your troubles! Perhaps it is a spun bearing or something related to an assembly or casting defect? Will be very interesting to hear what it is if you would let us know.

·
901 Posts
Well that makes crank number two on the forum if thats really the cause. At least this one was early enough for warranty the other was around 140k i think.

·
1,300 Posts
This is good for the cummins team to figure out WTF if there are crank issues before it grenades.. Easier to figure out failures and get a proper resolution when parts are still together.

Really S*itty that you are a guinea pig but in the long run its a good thing for everyone if they can figure this out. Especially if there is a casting run of bad cranks and or installations.

·
892 Posts
I guess the question is the date your truck was made and mileage when the noise started or mileage when Nissan took it in for warranty? Then will have to dig up the manufacture date on the other truck with a bad crank along with the failure mileage. If it's far between dates we're all screwed.

·
155 Posts
Warranty is a great thing. There is a bummer to this however, when all the problems others are having now, happen to your trucks after the warranty is out, its going to be an expensive trip.

·
317 Posts
Warranty is a great thing. There is a bummer to this however, when all the problems others are having now, happen to your trucks after the warranty is out, its going to be an expensive trip.
I got the 84/100k bumper to bumper warranty and at 97k I won't keep it. I have always said with the newer diesel don't keep one out of warranty.

·
516 Posts
That's what put me back into a Toyota /forum/images/CumminsTitan/smilies/tango_face_surprise.png
Bad things can happen to Toyota's too. The truck this guy had before his XD was a Tundra and he said it was nothing but a pain and plagued with issues. /forum/images/CumminsTitan/smilies/tango_face_surprise.png
Gotta agree, however toyota is supposed to have one of the best (gas) motors. But any vehicle can and will have problems, I always had Chevys Nd never had problems, someone I know bought a Chevy based on everyone's raving about them, he then parked it in his driveway for years because of all the issues he couldn't even drive it.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts