Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
712 Posts
Bad things happen to all of them. Some more than others.
Aside from brakes my Tundra was trouble free, I expected the same from the Nissan and was let down.
I don't think that multi thousand dollar repairs bills on something that is barely out of warranty and hasn't been abused is acceptable.

Owners getting the bill for issues that were the result of poor QC at the factory isn't acceptable, and neither is the dealer kicking the can down the road and hoping you'll just quit bothering them for warranty repairs.

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
IMHO the Titan is built much more stout than the Tundra. Just by closing the door on the Tundra you can feel and hear how thin the sheet metal is. Same for the fuel door. My engine needed torn down 2 separate times to fix cam tower leaks on both sides. The JBL system is a joke at best. The 2nd generation Rockford system is faaar better. My leather seat coloring for the 1794 cowhide look started chipping off under 10k. The truck would need to be rocked back and forth to get out of 4hi. The tie down system in rhe Tundra is about as sturdy as a 3 legged coffee table. Passenger window motor went bad at 30ish k. Cabin platic rattles to make the sound sytem sound even worse on any song qith a bass line. No spray in bedliner for a 50k plus truck. I was underwhelmed at best. 20170528_161843_HDR_1520182009373.jpg

·
712 Posts
My daughter was car shopping a couple weeks ago.
Same place has VW and Fords. I looking into a new F250 diesel.
On the surface, comparable to the Titan. Only $54K was a bare bones truck that didn't even have a center console and looked utterly cheap inside.

If things change and I need another tow vehicle it will probably end up being another Titan unless they put a diesel in the Tundra.
I don't ever see me buying another domestic truck, I've had too much experience with them.

I really hope they get the Titan worked out, it's a great truck but they need to work on the QC.
Pricing something at $60K and then just telling you "sorry" when it has problems isn't acceptable.

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The new long block finally arrived! Should be a month plus of down time when all said is done...

·
6 Posts
Wow what a pain for this guy. I sold very special car to me to get a 17 pro cummins. Hopefully a fairly isolated incident and if not Nissan steps up to the plate on other trucks that may have future issues. What a bummer.

·
1,300 Posts
I don't think that multi thousand dollar repairs bills on something that is barely out of warranty and hasn't been abused is acceptable.

Owners getting the bill for issues that were the result of poor QC at the factory isn't acceptable, and neither is the dealer kicking the can down the road and hoping you'll just quit bothering them for warranty repairs.
Its funny tho Ford, Ram and Chev have been building trucks that cheap for a simple reason. If its too costly for the consumer to repair it we have a better chance in getting them into a new one. All of the big 3 trucks are designed to be killed at 250K Miles. They want them dead.

Toyota and Nissan are trending in that direction also.

It is a business after all, and its unfortunate that we all have to play their game. The only ones that can really win are the guys that have some cash that can take their rig apart and rebuild/ repair themselves.

For me, I only go to the deal for warranty. I don't get services at the dealer unless I drop off my own filters and oil. I refuse to pay their B.S mark-ups and I don't follow their scheduled maintenance as it is borderline robbery at best. I just hope that all of our trucks are good running until the day we trade them in.

·
147 Posts
Hi All, it's been years since I have been on this forum. A little background on me. I am now on my 4th Titan owned, with an Armada also in between. I first bought a 2004 Titan XE King Cab that was bought back after the early rear diff issues. That truck was replaced with a 2005 Titan SE Crew Cab that i eventually traded for a 2007 Armada SE. I missed having a truck so I went back a couple years later and picked up a 2008 Titan LE Cew Cab. After a few years I wanted to try something different and purchased a 2014 Tundra 1794 Crew Cab. The Tundra was nothing but a pain and plagued with issues so I decided to go back to a 2017 Titan XD Platinum Reserve with the Cummins. About a weeks ago it developed an audible knock that started at start up and started getting worse. No warning lights, oil pressure and level was good. Took to dealer and the verified engine long block needs replaced. They are not sure why until cummins digs into it once they get it back. So much for waiting on a 2nd year to get the "bugs" worked out! ?

Was the failure caused by a bad crank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
43 Posts
A base model Rogue ?
Me too but the 3rd time they tried that stunt I loudly stated "If I had wanted a car I would have bought a car. I bought a truck so give me a truck!" 45 minutes later a pretty red, new Chevy Silverado from their Chevy dealership awaited me. Beautiful truck but lipstick and mascara coulldn't help that pig, it was a terrible ride.

·
Premium Member
315 Posts

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Apparently the turbos, fuel injectors, intake, and fuel rails are not included with the new long block. They are taking them off the old motor.

·
1,590 Posts
With a catastrophic engine failure like that, I'm sure there was metal debris circulating though the oil before the crank just snapped, and the fact that oil flows through the turbo for the bearings, I would be on them hard about reusing that, fuel and air side your most likely fine. Just my 2 cents

·
269 Posts
With a catastrophic engine failure like that, I'm sure there was metal debris circulating though the oil before the crank just snapped, and the fact that oil flows through the turbo for the bearings, I would be on them hard about reusing that, fuel and air side your most likely fine. Just my 2 cents
Burly--Did you say that your problem was only a loud knock...your crankshaft never actually failed right?

Did they tell you where the problem was? At which main bearing or rod journal? Have they broken down the original motor or is that going back to Nissan?

Conventional wisdom over the years has been that loud knocks usually point to rod bearing/journal problems vs. crank journal problems. I'd really love to know if you hear more details on this from your dealership as this really bears on the crankshaft issues folks are looking at. Having said that I agree with XDHunter that metal debris was circulating in the motor and you don't want to mess with those turbo bearings. Thanks!

21 - 40 of 54 Posts