Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not the Titan but ...
A guy who lives near the Cummins world head quarters says:

thier NV3500 test mules pulling a concrete ballast loaded trailer while testing the 5.0L diesel. Yip I saw them running around Columbus.
Hmmm. A little competition in the big van market maybe?

·
608 Posts
So this might be a diesel NV3500? There is plenty of competition in that market right now so it would make sense for Nissan to up the ante a bit.

·
340 Posts
Not the Titan but ...
A guy who lives near the Cummins world head quarters says:

Hmmm. A little competition in the big van market maybe?
I think Nissan is poised to enter the HD market in a big way. They've already been teasing the Cummins with a gooseneck hitch back in LA. Me thinks they're ready to give it a go against the big 3. I'm of the opinion it may actually be easier to compete in the HD market then the more fickle H/T playground...

·
857 Posts
I think Nissan is poised to enter the HD market in a big way. They've already been teasing the Cummins with a gooseneck hitch back in LA. Me thinks they're ready to give it a go against the big 3. I'm of the opinion it may actually be easier to compete in the HD market then the more fickle H/T playground...
They sure are.

Seeing how initial sales and sales down the road a few months from the initial launch will be a good look at how consumers are receiving it.

·
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe. But at least the NV3500 has more than 6 lug wheels. All the spy shots I've seen of the Titan+Cummins are only 6 lugs.

The 2015 F150 HD with ~2500# payload also has 6 lug but special HD wheels but that's a lighter Al truck so guess they can do it.

We'll see, hopefully in a few days.

Reactions: Bianchi

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
665 Posts
You realise that six lugs are still very strong, especially if the wheels are hub-centric.

Old school dayton wheels on heavy duty class 8 trucks are only six lug. Daytons are frequently seen on trucks in the most demanding conditions and when we ordered our water truck in 2009 were still a factory option from Kenworth. To be fair, daytons have a very unique hub design and the lugs have a much larger radius from center than conventional hub/lug centric wheels.

·
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You realise that six lugs are still very strong, especially if the wheels are hub-centric.
Definitely.
It's just that the NV2500/3500 have more than 6 (8 I think).
So I'm a wee bit nervous. :smile2:

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
665 Posts
Definitely.
It's just that the NV2500/3500 have more than 6 (8 I think).
So I'm a wee bit nervous. :smile2:
I could be wrong on this, but I believe that there is a written requirement for number of lugs according to the weight class of the vehicle. Currently the NV3500 is in a higher weight class, correct?

·
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I could be wrong on this, but I believe that there is a written requirement for number of lugs according to the weight class of the vehicle. Currently the NV3500 is in a higher weight class, correct?
Can't find the GVWRs, but with the NV3500 V8 the max payload is 3858#. The NV2500 comes with a V6 and the max payload drops to something lower, still over 3000# though and still with 8 lugs I think.

But like you say, you can do it with a HD 6 lug wheel. The F150 HD changed from 7 to 6 lugs in 2015, all the while keeping its 4800# REAR gawr.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts