Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While Titan announced cessation of the 5.0L V8 Diesel engine in the Titan, many of us held out hope that the 5.0L V8 would end up still being supported and manufactured by Cummins for school bus and RV markets. Well, that is also a no. After further research, Cummins basically had two main customers for the Cummins 5.0. (a) Nissan for its Titan XD, and (b) Tiffin Motor homes, used in the Allegro Breeze.

Well - the Allegro Breeze has a 2019 model, with the Cummins 5.0, but the 2020, goes to the tried and true, 6.7L model used in Ram trucks.

Also - additional research indicates the switch by Nissan and Tiffin may have been forced upon them by Cummins, as Cummins wanted to cease production of the 5.0. This is also further supported by the fact that they no longer market the 5.0 on the website at all.

My 2 Cents
If anyone has looked, there is a 2.8L Cummins crate engine, which they are pushing. In addition, prior to the 3.0L engine craze in the 1/2 ton category currently, Ford was looking at a 4.4 or 4.5L diesel for the F150 back in the mid-aughts to late aughts, only to be derailed by the recesssion. The history of the 5.0L Cummins was an original Dodge project back in the late aughts, which was derailed by the recession. Notice something common? Effectively, I think the Cummins 5.0L could have been in the same dustbin of history as the 4.4/4.5L Power Stroke, but because Nissan swept in to take it away from Dodge once FCA decided the market was limited, it was given a second life.

It sucks, because obviously, this means we 5.0 owners will lack for parts, service centers, and aftermarket products. But also, this could be over time, a collectors item for diesel fans, because these engines will be a rare, rare bird, in an over-built truck that, if Nissan is consistent with their reputation, will last a long, long time with an overbuilt design meant to withstand 1 ton truck level effort.

·
368 Posts
Its been mentioned that there is a company developing a conversion kit to the 6.7 Cummins for these trucks. That's pretty interesting if true. Cummins has said that they will support the current 5.0 with parts, etc and since Cummins isn't going anywhere, I trust that they will follow through. Lastly, there's no point worrying about it. Just drive it, maintain it, fix it, drive it. I'm at 141,000 on my 2016. I plan to go at least 300,000 on it before making any changes.

·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its been mentioned that there is a company developing a conversion kit to the 6.7 Cummins for these trucks. That's pretty interesting if true. Cummins has said that they will support the current 5.0 with parts, etc and since Cummins isn't going anywhere, I trust that they will follow through. Lastly, there's no point worrying about it. Just drive it, maintain it, fix it, drive it. I'm at 141,000 on my 2016. I plan to go at least 300,000 on it before making any changes.
I love this engine, and think that had this been marketed better, and priced properly, it could have been competitive...Nissan I think wanted too much profit, and priced it originally to the point it never took off. However, had they priced just above the 1/2 ton market (say a 7,500 premium), as opposed to pricing at the 3/4 ton price, it would still be produced today.

·
262 Posts
The conversion kit is a great idea. I would do that in a heartbeat. Personally I was thinking of a 5.9, but a 6.7 would be great. Of course I will wait until the 5.0 gives out, which hopefully will be awhile.

·
62 Posts
Hmmmm... I got out of the stealership for only $50K for my pretty Moab Sunset 19 Pro4X .... And I hope to keep getting tons of fun out of it.... eventually after the warranty runs out I might delete but who knows.... I'm thoroughly enjoying my rig..... sucks that mine will be the last year produced.

·
261 Posts
Hmmmm... I got out of the stealership for only $50K for my pretty Moab Sunset 19 Pro4X .... And I hope to keep getting tons of fun out of it.... eventually after the warranty runs out I might delete but who knows.... I'm thoroughly enjoying my rig..... sucks that mine will be the last year produced.
congrats, send pic

·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't know. My Pro 4X was $43,000. I couldn't touch a big three truck for anywhere near that for a competitive truck.
Same - I walked out at $42k. But they would sticker price the truck in the $60k range, which, if you are just doing internet searches and price competition, people kind of shy away.

As for Blue Bird using the 5.0L Cummins, all offerings from what I saw on their web-site are 6.7L inline engines.

·
629 Posts
I heard the same thing that the 5.0 was possibly being discontinued in the other market. Too much uncertainty for me. Plus my local dealership lost their only diesel mechanic and with the Cummins option discontinued next year, I highly doubt they will be looking for one. Taking my truck to Salt Lake City for warranty work is ridiculous.

·
62 Posts
I have to take mine to Ogden, Ken Garff, because I'm up in Brigham City.... If you're in South WY, you might be able to hit that stealership... LOL.. if it's a little closer

·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Same - I walked out at $42k. But they would sticker price the truck in the $60k range, which, if you are just doing internet searches and price competition, people kind of shy away.

As for Blue Bird using the 5.0L Cummins, all offerings from what I saw on their web-site are 6.7L inline engines.
The fact is, had they just priced them around the $50k sticker, and refused to go below the low $40's in negotiation, they may have had more interest in the first part. I think they also failed to really educate their sales staff to market these engines.

·
62 Posts
Brad48 .... The sticker on mine was right on the 57K nose... with all the discounts and add ons i got I was surprised to roll out of there at 50K... especially with the upside down Impala my wife got rid of.. lol... that POS was a 3700 markup... plus the running boards.. plus the dealer oil change thing... yeah... I was more than happy....

·
373 Posts
What a beautiful color. Congrats!

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
So for what good rumors are worth, I have a great relationship with my local Nissan dealership specifically because of the service manager who has always looked out for me since day one. Nissan Frontier Pro4x, Armada Platinum, and now my Titan XD. I actually am a repeat customer regardless of price because of him, it’s all about the follow on care and service.
Anyway, he shared they just got word through Nissan that they have another Diesel in the mix, hopefully for 2022, they just sent their diesel guy to learn a few things about it, but oddly enough, they are not actually disclosing who’s motor it is. He said that it failed with Cummins because of a difference in parts/repair ideology between the two, they have had a number of failures/recalls, he said a lot related to tuning , but Cummins was more apt to cover repairs than NissanUSA. Cummins also leaned towards complete replacement of their engines, rather than replacing certain parts that failed. He said it had something to do with lemon laws, and if the sum costs/recalls exceed too much of a percentage for an auto manufacturer, they could face serious repercussions, like having to buy back vehicles.
If that was true, I would see why Nissan and Cummins would have a disconnect and need to part ways. It was good to hear that Nissan isn’t giving up on the diesel though. He advised me to drive the tires off the damn thing, make sure to do maintenance, avoid tuning for now, and what for Nissan to release whatever their new version is and trade up, because they apparently are already looking at a premium offer for current XD owners to trade up, so they can get you out of something expensive they will be on the hook for fixing, with a company they are struggling to maintain a relationship and supply lines with.

again, may be utter garbage, partially peppered with some truth, or 100% spot on, but something is definitely not well in Oz.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts