Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
665 Posts
Too many ads, pop-ups and other annoying crap... Further proving commericalization has ruined the internet.

·
363 Posts

·
235 Posts
What's the "diesel white space" they're talking about? I would assume that people would go for a Diesel engine that could tow more in case the need ever arises in the future.

·
313 Posts
The Euro V6 diesels like the one in the RAM 1500 are typically around 3L.

The big diesels in the Heavy Duty trucks are all over 6L with torque and HP increases to match.

The 5L Cummins falls in between. With in between torque and HP numbers and probably in between mileage as well.

And weight is somewhere in between as well. Think they said the big Cummins in RAM 2500/3500 weighs 1250#, and the 5L only weighs 800# (and there's another 100# of emissions control stuff on top of that). Not sure what the little RAM diesel weighs, but it too is Compacted Graphite Iron so should be light-weight.

·
665 Posts
Looking at the numbers, the low output per liter, the ISV appears poised to replace the 5.9-7.3L displacement in heavy duty pickups. Starting with a heavy half-ton, the ISV will build a reputation as too much engine for the class and will eventually be bumped up into the full-size one-ton class.

·
313 Posts
Looking at the numbers, the low output per liter, the ISV appears poised to replace the 5.9-7.3L displacement in heavy duty pickups. Starting with a heavy half-ton, the ISV will build a reputation as too much engine for the class and will eventually be bumped up into the full-size one-ton class.
Agree, it would do well in the HD pickup class. Especially the 2500s where the bigger diesels are too heavy and too powerful for most. RAM was stupid not to pick it up for its 2500s even if they didn't want it for their 1500.

For most folks, the big diesels have way more power than they need, but the torque and HP wars still go on and on and sell trucks.:serious:

Reactions: TurboDiesel

·
857 Posts
Agree, it would do well in the HD pickup class. Especially the 2500s where the bigger diesels are too heavy and too powerful for most. RAM was stupid not to pick it up for its 2500s even if they didn't want it for their 1500.

For most folks, the big diesels have way more power than they need, but the torque and HP wars still go on and on and sell trucks.:serious:
Some just like to have that power on tap even if on average their demands don't call for it.

·
665 Posts
Some just like to have that power on tap even if on average their demands don't call for it.
My opinion is that the ISV is capable of being a reliable 400hp engine.

Though I think 325hp is about the max for a pickup before tire and component wear is accelerated.

·
313 Posts
Nothing wrong with that, but they've got 3 different HD trucks to choose from. They're lucky.

The only mid-range diesel is the the TitanXD (as the Ram 1500 Ecodiesel being too wimpy).

·
Premium Member
342 Posts

Yup that's how I feel. I want a nicer ride than a 3/4 ton and better fuel economy than the 6.7 litre.

:)

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
What's the "diesel white space" they're talking about? I would assume that people would go for a Diesel engine that could tow more in case the need ever arises in the future.
The "white space" is exactly what Brulaz explained...The white space is if you look at a HP/Torque chart on a wall chart. The lower HP/Torque ascending line will the be Ram 3.0l and say the Powerstroke 6.7 and Cummins 6.7 the top line. The space between the two is the "whitespace". It's a marketing label, but I kinda like it. It explains exactly how some of us feel. Before you know it, the 3/4 tons will be at the same power as OTR tractor trailers and the Ram 3.0 is just too small and will remain there due to awesome fuel economy.

Ram found their niche with fuel economy. Now Nissan should be able to find their niche in the "white space" in between the two truck classes for guys like me, who have a diesel tractor I bring places from time to time, jet skis, quadruple ATV trailer, 30ft boat etc. I don't use it to work but I work a half ton more than I like re fuel economy when towing etc

·
665 Posts
The white space could be described as the One-Ton trucks of the 90's. I sure did love me some oxford white!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts