Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Id like to hear any and all comments from everyone with over 100k

One guy in another thread has over that but is now likely about to replace his crankshaft for the 2nd time!

·
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Subscribed to this one- this could make or decide me keeping this truck.

Only at 20k, though, currently.
Im really hoping that he was pulling close to max tow for that whole duration and fatigue like that wont occur with infrequent max loads of 8k and average loads of 5k like im doin

·
667 Posts
Max tow, under max tow, frequent towing, seldom towing- none of those should matter in the grand scheme of things with a truck that was designed for that sort of use with LESS than 150k.

I’ve been a long time Nissan guy, but I’m not too proud to trade this thing in for something else.

·
171 Posts
I'm familiar with the guy in the other thread. I'm convinced we are not getting the whole story on the truck. He breaks one crank, has it replaced, supposedly puts another 100,000 miles on the truck in less than a year and it breaks again? Something fishy going on. What are the odds of it happening twice to the same truck? He should be buying lottery tickets.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
HI U All, Titan Addicts like myself, :)
Yes, no doubt something does not smell exactly right.. No engine manufacture builds, especially Cummins with the idea of throw away engines.. for a Crank to break, there is something very unusual going on.. However until those two Cranks are sent out to an independent Metal lab who specialize in this field. We will not have the True Reason for failure.
If your interested and want some more knowledge please go to the following link and gain some insight on Crank failures..
In summary, these crankshafts no matter load , no load, shift soft or hard should easily go million miles and then just need bearing replacements of the journals under normal oil changes service life.. Failure is not acceptable.
Causes of crankshaft failure include vibration, insufficient lubrication, an over pressurized cylinder or cracks. The majority of steel crankshafts fail because of fatigue failure, which starts at the change of a cross-section in the crankshaft.
Knowledge is Power, but directed wrongly is dangerous. Enjoy Ric Fueldog67
Link Below
https://www.agkits.com/why-did-my-crankshaft-break.aspx

Attachments

·
283 Posts
I'm familiar with the guy in the other thread. I'm convinced we are not getting the whole story on the truck. He breaks one crank, has it replaced, supposedly puts another 100,000 miles on the truck in less than a year and it breaks again? Something fishy going on. What are the odds of it happening twice to the same truck? He should be buying lottery tickets.
I hear you, but it sounds like he delivers trailers for a living and is driving constantly...the pictures he has are pretty damning. I'd like to see the pictures of the crank and bottom-end of the latest failure.

He doesn't post a lot--probably because he is always behind the wheel! Can't see why he'd bother to come in and post on these failures if not true...just saying....

·
460 Posts
I have 115,000 miles on my Aug 16 built XD Pro4X. Runs great. No issues other than the original dead pedal (no more an issue with my iDrive installed), and some bad DEF a couple times. Otherwise, rock solid. Not sure what else to say. I'm very diligent about the maintenance and always use T6 oil.

·
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have 115,000 miles on my Aug 16 built XD Pro4X. Runs great. No issues other than the original dead pedal (no more an issue with my iDrive installed), and some bad DEF a couple times. Otherwise, rock solid. Not sure what else to say. I'm very diligent about the maintenance and always use T6 oil.
Glad to hear it! Congrats! I need to make 300k so keep updating so i feel encouraged that these things dont blow a cranckshaft every 120k like this one guy has had happen apparently twice!

·
460 Posts
Glad to hear it! Congrats! I need to make 300k so keep updating so i feel encouraged that these things dont blow a cranckshaft every 120k like this one guy has had happen apparently twice!
Will do. And I need to make 300K as well. So far, so good. Knock on wood:)

·
1,331 Posts
I hear you, but it sounds like he delivers trailers for a living and is driving constantly...the pictures he has are pretty damning. I'd like to see the pictures of the crank and bottom-end of the latest failure.

He doesn't post a lot--probably because he is always behind the wheel! Can't see why he'd bother to come in and post on these failures if not true...just saying....
I am interested to hear why the guy that broke two cranks felt the standard oil change interval was worth it bs the severe duty recommended oil change since all he ever did was tow.

Personally if I was him I would have installed a bypass system and sent oil off for analysis especially after the first crank went. But at the very least I would have dumped the oil every 5k.

·
1,607 Posts
2 cranks same truck. Whats the common denominator? How could it not be a injector or harness if you reused everything? Not saying that's what it is but a few post up didn't make sense.

·
283 Posts
2 cranks same truck. Whats the common denominator? How could it not be a injector or harness if you reused everything? Not saying that's what it is but a few post up didn't make sense.
Yes, it is really going to be interesting if it broke at the #7 /#8 rod journal again. Would also be interesting to compare the deposits (pattern/color/texture) on the aluminum heads around the valves on all cylinders. An injector variance for some period of time should leave some trace I would think.

If it isn't a (helluva) unlucky defect in both parts, what is causing it--could it be harmonics and/or other unforseen stresses? I was interested in the information of firing order and stresses that BigRedCustoms posted on the thread last year when the first crank broke on this member's truck.

Could be lightning striking twice, but also something else going on. I sure wish Cummins was interested in doing a failure analysis on both of these. I'm getting impatient in my old age--I'd drive the 10 hours to Indiana from the DC area with the parts in the trunk to talk to the plant GM...just a nice, polite conversation about "known unknowns" and "unknown unknowns", quality control and business risks. Might catch a fly (interest/attention)with some honey in person--never on the phone these days sadly.

·
616 Posts
Posting to subscribe. I have 60K on my 2017 which I've had for just under 2 years. I figure I'll hit 100k in another year and a half or so, assuming I haven't punched out and gotten something else.

·
619 Posts
67K on 2017 PR. 59K on the first engine. 8K on the second engine now. Hope it lasts.

·
73 Posts
How often are you doing the oil changes?

·
15 Posts
My question is what kind of modifications did this guy have?

I’ve seen multiple people on Instagram have their engines blow and it’s after having a delete and tune. Could the injector be staying open to long on one of the hot tunes?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts