Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

curious - XD Cummins vs XD gasser - real life comparo?

5K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  d15b7 
#1 ·
hey guys! so many threads about 'mine does this and his does that!'. I honestly would love to do a direct comparo of the two trucks in identical situations (for informational purposes and also because I think it would be really fun). this comparo would be more of a 'real life' sort of situation -- not a Super Ike or anything like that. I have a 2016 XD Cummins 4x4 Platinum Reserve 4 door with 11k miles on it and totally bone stock (even down to the tires). I use it most for towing my enclosed Pace car trailer (between 8k and 9k lbs depending on which racecar I'm hauling and how much spares I have with me) but also use it quite a bit during winter time (it gets to eat the salt! I don't want my Civic Type R getting any salt on it!!).

here's what I was thinking -- I live right outside of Newark, DE. is there anyone fairly close by with a XD gasser 4x4 4 door that is stock (tires and everything)? if we could meet, we could tank up and reset our computers and go for a say 200 mile drive together (empty and not towing). the route I'm thinking of would contain a little city driving, and a lot of rural and highway driving. we'd stay at or slightly above the speed limit and drive 'normally' (no drag racing starts, but also no hyper miling driving either. just normal!). then when we got back we could compare our trip computers, and also fill up again and hand calc our mileage and see the real life results. i'm really curious to see how the two trucks would compare in a long non-loaded loop. if we wanted to go even further we could hook up to my trailer and load it to around 8k lbs and take each truck on another loop (I think 100 miles would be sufficient with the trailer) and run both trucks with that and then compare mileage again.

then when we are done we can report back here with the results for everyone to see. it would be so cool to see how close (or how different) the fuel mileage ended up being? anyone game for that? hit me up and we can exchange phone numbers and arrange it! what say all of you??

See less See more
#4 ·
I have towed with both, about 8000 lbs. The 5.0 pulls better when at speed, the 5.6 has to stay in 5th or it constantly hunts. Acceleration is better with the 5.6 by a fair margin. Mileage was about 25% better with the 5.0. Unloaded isn't worth talking about. The 5.6 is better in every single way.

#5 ·
good morning SM. and thanks for the valuable input! I've only owned the Cummins so I don't have your insights.. Mine tows my 8-9k enclosed trailer really nicely, but I thought it would be cool to do an unloaded direct comparo over mixed driving for 100-200 miles to see if there was much of a difference in mileage? lots of people drive unloaded every day too so I thought it would be a neat comparison to see if there was much of a difference. and I'm sure that that 5.6 would way way out accelerate the stock Cummins by a wide margin (but honestly that isn't a metric by which I buy a truck; in two years I don't think I've ever floored my truck from a stoplight to see what it would do; I think I'd be pretty disappointed LOL. If I'm gonna go out hooning around I'll take my CTR or my ZR-1). this winter has been lousy with salt and constant small storms around where I live so I have been driving my XD almost daily which is super unusual for me (I usually only use it for long trailering trips during the spring summer fall). so far for me, in mixed driving mileage has been average at best. it's between 15-17 mpg driving 5-10 over most times. the day before yesterday I drove all the way to Philly and back (over 100 miles) which was probably 70% highway with being stuck in city traffic for a little while. that was 19.5 mpg which again is sort of OK I guess. I use the onboard computer plus when I fill up I hand calc it and it seems that the computer is pretty close (usually within .5 mpg often closer) which is nice.

so far no one wants to meet up and go for a nice drive with the two different trucks; :( I think it would be fun just hanging out and talking trucks plus seeing what the other side has to offer (gas vs diesel).

#6 ·
good morning SM. and thanks for the valuable input! I've only owned the Cummins so I don't have your insights.. Mine tows my 8-9k enclosed trailer really nicely, but I thought it would be cool to do an unloaded direct comparo over mixed driving for 100-200 miles to see if there was much of a difference in mileage? lots of people drive unloaded every day too so I thought it would be a neat comparison to see if there was much of a difference. and I'm sure that that 5.6 would way way out accelerate the stock Cummins by a wide margin (but honestly that isn't a metric by which I buy a truck; in two years I don't think I've ever floored my truck from a stoplight to see what it would do; I think I'd be pretty disappointed LOL. If I'm gonna go out hooning around I'll take my CTR or my ZR-1). this winter has been lousy with salt and constant small storms around where I live so I have been driving my XD almost daily which is super unusual for me (I usually only use it for long trailering trips during the spring summer fall). so far for me, in mixed driving mileage has been average at best. it's between 15-17 mpg driving 5-10 over most times. the day before yesterday I drove all the way to Philly and back (over 100 miles) which was probably 70% highway with being stuck in city traffic for a little while. that was 19.5 mpg which again is sort of OK I guess. I use the onboard computer plus when I fill up I hand calc it and it seems that the computer is pretty close (usually within .5 mpg often closer) which is nice.

so far no one wants to meet up and go for a nice drive with the two different trucks; :( I think it would be fun just hanging out and talking trucks plus seeing what the other side has to offer (gas vs diesel).

My all city driving average is about 12.5. Truck has 34" tires and a 2" lift.

#9 ·
If you look up TFL / TFL TRUCK on YouTube, they have several comps between the diesel and the petrol versions.

They did tests both towing while climbing mountain passes, as well as towing and unladen driving across the plains (both in Colorado). It’s not an exact science, but it’s close enough.

IIRC, the 5.0L averaged 3.4mpg while towing 10k up Eisenhower Pass, while the 5.6L averaged 3.0mpg.

The 5.0L avg 19.5 unladen (100 miles) on the flats, while the 5.6L avg 17.0mpg.

The 5.0L avg 10.7mpg with the 7,000# trailer (100miles) on the flats, while the 5.6 avg 9.6mpg.

https://youtu.be/zVDoo5fiLCg

https://youtu.be/cPD5C8V9_6Y

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.