Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y’all, I’m currently on the Titan boards, and am hopping over here to get yalls .02. I currently have a ‘19 Titan midnight edition and love it. It’s not going anywhere, the wife wants to sell her old car as our girls are getting bigger and harder to keep in car seats in a compact car backseat. She has stumbled on what seems to be a good deal on a used ‘17 XD gasser. 60k miles 2wd lwb. Any thoughts, hesitations towards buying it? We will occasionally tow a horse trailer maybe a future camper. It will be more to alleviate all the miles on my truck being a commuter and family get around truck. Thanks!

·
276 Posts
I'd be primarily concerned about what is likely the limited amount of warranty remaining on a 2017, given the potential #7 cylinder issue.

What are they asking for it?

·
526 Posts
1. I've really liked the Titan & Titan XD line of trucks so I can understand her desire for one

2. Around my household we have always been reluctant to duplicate vehicle capabilities in multiple vehicles, sort of a "Don't put all your eggs in one basket" sort of thing. If I have an SUV then we don't usually buy another one for someone else in the house, we look at trucks or sedans or coupes, etc. That way we are more likely to have a vehicle that matches the needs of the day.

3. Unless there is a huge financial reason I don't normally shop the RWD only trucks in this category. In most cases the cost penalty isn't huge, yes there is increased weight but in this truck that's not much of an issue and it is ALWAYS better to have the option of using 4wd in a traction limited setting.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd be primarily concerned about what is likely the limited amount of warranty remaining on a 2017, given the potential #7 cylinder issue.

What are they asking for it?
they’re asking $27 for it. Could you elaborate on the #7 cylinder issue?

·
276 Posts
they’re asking $27 for it. Could you elaborate on the #7 cylinder issue?
What trim level?

The #7 cylinder issue is widely discussed, do a search and you'll find more than you care to read. But in a nutshell, the issue is with the bore of the cylinder and piston slap which leads to scoring. Nissan does either a short or long block replacement under warranty. Plenty of guys here and on the various FB Titan pages have been though it.

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sv trim level. With aftermarket tonneau and spray in liner. No big deal on those, but still. Carfax shows the maintenance was on the dot for the life of the truck. Are there tell tale signs other than a slick tick to keep an ear out for?

·
276 Posts
As far as the engine issue, I have an '18 SV with only 16K on it. I am keeping an eye out for the knock sound when cold, which seems to be the telltale sign. I got a ton of warranty left, so I am not sweating it too much. Plus, I get it dealer serviced (maintenance package was part of the deal when I bought it). I think I am gonna hit them up about the whistling fuel tank (there's a TSB) and get hat taken care of next time I take it in.

The truck you are looking at, is it a base SV or with convenience package, other options,etc? Buckets and console, or middle jump seat in front? Alloys or steelies?

I know truck prices are out of wack now because of the virus and whatnot, but that seems kinda high to me. Maybe I am biased because of what I paid for mine.

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m gonna post a link to said truck, that way you can see and have all questions answered. I paid $33 for my brand new Titan last April. Sv with comfort and bucket seats, midnight edition. So I hate paying that much for a used truck, but from what I’m seeing comparatively it seems like a good value.

·
276 Posts
I’m gonna post a link to said truck, that way you can see and have all questions answered. I paid $33 for my brand new Titan last April. Sv with comfort and bucket seats, midnight edition. So I hate paying that much for a used truck, but from what I’m seeing comparatively it seems like a good value.
I can relate. A little over a year ago, I paid $32K for my XD SV 4X4 with less than 7000 miles on it, and it's certified.

This is a nice looking truck, probably a safe buy. I'd feel better with more warranty, if it were me. I paid a little to bump mine from 7yr/100K from new to 7yr/100K from the day I bought it. I need the time more than the miles since I have a work vehicle and don't rack up the miles. So, I've got bumper-to-bumper coverage until December 2026.

It's somewhat equipped just like mine- SV with convenience package (nicer radio, buckets, and other options). Wonder if it has remote start and the power-locking tailgate. Ironically, I added a spray-bedliner and a hard color-matched tonneau. And you're right, considering the slim pickings out there, it seems like a good value. Everything else out there in the same price range seems to be a stripped-down S-trim or base SV with the bench seat and without the features.

My dealer called me and offered me the full amount that I paid for it on a trade towards a new one because they need used trucks, blah, blah, blah. No thanks, I don't want a higher payment or to add more time to the loan. Plus, I like the truck too much.

Reactions: Garrett06

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I appreciate all your time and insight! I had a ‘10 Titan and loved it. Hence why I’m back in one again. But I haven’t had a lot of reading into the differences of these trucks with trim levels and issues (little) that they may present. I noticed this truck is also missing the passenger rear headrest lol they will need to fix that!

·
276 Posts
I appreciate all your time and insight! I had a ‘10 Titan and loved it. Hence why I’m back in one again. But I haven’t had a lot of reading into the differences of these trucks with trim levels and issues (little) that they may present. I noticed this truck is also missing the passenger rear headrest lol they will need to fix that!
Good luck. Like any vehicle, they have potential issues but overall I feel they are solid. I love the ride. By no means did I "need" an XD but it was the best deal I could find on a crew cab truck at the time, so here I am.

Reactions: Garrett06

·
32 Posts
That's not a bad price, I just paid $30k for a '17 xd crew 4x4 with 43k on it. Mine is not as well equipped though, other than running boards it is basically a stripped SV. My price did include it being certified with new tires on it. If you can get that for $25,xxx and are okay with 2wd then it seems like a good deal. I like the white, it's a nice looking truck for sure.
Personally, I would never consider a 2wd truck for any reason. Mine gets stuck in my yard 1/2 the time I'm backing my boat in and I have to use 4wd to get out.

·
10 Posts
Hey y’all, I’m currently on the Titan boards, and am hopping over here to get yalls .02. I currently have a ‘19 Titan midnight edition and love it. It’s not going anywhere, the wife wants to sell her old car as our girls are getting bigger and harder to keep in car seats in a compact car backseat. She has stumbled on what seems to be a good deal on a used ‘17 XD gasser. 60k miles 2wd lwb. Any thoughts, hesitations towards buying it? We will occasionally tow a horse trailer maybe a future camper. It will be more to alleviate all the miles on my truck being a commuter and family get around truck. Thanks!
I bought a ‘17 XD a year ago after a lifetime of Duramax ownership. Love the truck, plenty of power to two our 35’ camper, and a great warranty (5 years/100,000miles). Also went with 2wd to save on payload. I’m pretty sure she’ll be fine with her new (to her) truck.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts