Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there is an owner lounge but not everyone goes there.

Hoping to create this thread for current owners to quickly state current miles/km's, pros/cons etc...

I noticed there is a bunch coming out of the woodwork with some decent mileage on there xd and posting in random threads. It would be great for current owners and potential owners to take a quick glance to see others results good or bad.

I will go first.

2016 titan xd sv premium diesel purchased January. Almost 20,000 km averaging around 20mpg for my normal commute. I also tow around a 9000lb travel trailer, 4 bed snowmobile trailer and 21' polaris EX2100 jet boat.
So far service wise:
$99 oil change
Under hood foam replaced free(rodent needed a nest)
Steering wheel replaced free because I was picky and there was a bump where my hand usually sits.

Been the best truck for my needs to date and I have owned a lot.

·
1,265 Posts
10k plus on Pro4X. Did my own first oil change, filter was less than $9.00 at Cummins dealer and full synthetic oil cost me about $50.00.

Carry a 1,700 pound camper on the back and installed air bags and front receiver hitch.

This truck is awesome and I haven't had any issues with it yet....knock on monitor.

·
10 Posts
Nissan Titan XD Platinum Reserve 4x4. 5170 miles. Towing my 8K lbs. Airstream trailer using the on board computer 12.7 mpg. On the freeway with just my wife 21.7 mpg. Running around town it varies a lot if I am waiting to pick up the grandkids and idling a lot. The truck is still breaking in. I get 2500 to 3000 miles per 2.5 gallon DEF so far. I LOVE THIS TRUCK!!!

·
156 Posts
Monotone black Pro4X diesel, 9k+miles. Purchased Superbowl Sunday
Had dealer change oil - $96 for oil & filter and multi-point inspection (comped as first oil change).
Issues:
- Being a Pro4X, I have the slight pull to the right as has been discussed. I didn't know until someone brought it up on this board and I checked. During normal driving I do not notice as the weight of my hand on the wheel keeps it straight. Dealer is expecting the new alignment specs next week, and they will correct it.
- Rear tailgate locking mechanism was replaced before I drove it of the lot
- As mentioned in another thread, a slight shudder when taking off from a stop while towing 7k lb. boat if I put my foot in it. I will discuss with the dealer when I take it in for the alignment.

Mileage:
- Commuting, I get about 18-19 mpg. My commute is 30 miles each way 70% highway at 60-65mph, 30% a combination of highway slow traffic and surface streets
- On unloaded highway trips, I see around 22mpg
- Towing 7k lb. boat gets 11-12
- I also get a little under 1000 miles per gallon of DEF

I too noticed the power and responsiveness gains beginning around 4k miles and getting better. Not night and day, but it definitely accelerates better now than when new. I personally love this truck! It meets or exceeds every expectation I had. I did not want or need to tow 15k lbs or a 12k 5'er with 25% pin load necessitating a higher payload than the XD offers. If I needed those things, I would have bought a GM 2500 w/duramax.

·
93 Posts
Titan XD SL diesel 4x4. Bought the day after Memorial Day. Sticker says it was built in April and it just rolled off the truck onto the dealers lot the week prior (I have a pic with all of the protective plastic on it). They had 3 others on the lot and I went with this one primarily because it was newest (hoping Nissan was working bugs out as they went along). I live in Seattle, but bought the truck in Eugene, OR because of the deal I had arranged.

Truck currently has 2500 miles on it. No oil change yet. Gone through about 3 gallons of DEF and have towed my 6800 lb airstream a total of 400-ish miles out of the 2500. I seem to get between 11 and 14 mpg towing. I drive back and forth to work in terrible stop and go traffic (Seattle) so get about 12-13 mpg on my commute. When I drove the truck home from Eugene, starting with less than 30 miles on the engine, I was getting 19.9 mpg at 70 mph (Oregon) and 18.9 mpg at 75 mph (Washington).

I'd be interested in hearing if anyone has good dealer service recommendations in the Seattle area. Closet dealer is in Edmonds.

Biggest complaint is the RPM fluttering just under 2k before shifting which I've written about on another thread. My hope is that they fix this in a software update.

Love the truck and love my Diamondback bed cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
10 Posts
I had a Dodge 2500 with a Cummins. When I first got it I would only get 16 to 18 MPG. I talked to a friend that had a very old Dodge 2500 w/ a Cummins. He said he was getting 25 MPG, and that it took about 30,000 miles to break in the engine and the economy would go up. It did take about 30,000 miles and then my fuel economy started climbing. I sure hope that is true on the Nissan Titan. I purchased a Blue Titan XD SL 4X2, and it is being flat bedded in from Corpus Christy to Dallas, I should have it Friday.

FYI, the Posts on this forum was what made me buy the Titan. I really don’t want a vehicle that gets 15 MPG on the highway.
Paul Z

·
224 Posts
XD 2WD SV Cummins model. Gun metallic, with 6400 miles so far. Driving to FL this weekend, will put about another 1k on it. I've been averaging 22 mpg on the hwy, 170 mile commutes, and 19.5 mpg average all combined. Did get as high as 23.5 once, but that was at 65mph, and I am impatient. Very pleased with the truck both towing and unloaded. Have noticed that the shifts are way smoother now that I've towed with it versus new, some is wear in and some is adaptive software, I'm sure.

I had a 2000 2500 QC longbed Cummins 5.9L prior to this one, and I got good mileage with it (21 hwy) but never approached 25. Plus it didn't have all the emissions add-ons that the EPA requires now.

MB

·
38 Posts
I have a XD PR Cayenne Red I have 5200 miles no problems so far. I don't do very much towing have got 22.3 MPG but seem to be averaging around 19.9 most of the time. It seems to me the more miles that I put on the better the truck drives. Like I have said before this my 3rd Titan and by far the beast one.

·
348 Posts
Gun Metallic Pro4X Gas, 2700 miles, almost all in town driving. Averaging 13 MPG. (Same as 04 2wd Titan) haven't pulled anything for any distance to know what that mileage is, will find out this fall when travel trailer gets hooked up. The two short Interstate trips I did take, I got 17 - 19 mpg at 75 to 80 mph. I have noticed a steady 21 - 23 when running 60 to 65. Will be headed to GA hunting camp next week, should get a good idea what it will do on the highway.

·
46 Posts
Silver Pro4x here, just under 2K miles with no issues other than a few regens. Just got back from pulling 31 ft travel trailer about 500 miles in the hot Texas Hill Country, 13 mpg at night and 9 mpg in the dead heat and wind coming home. Love the truck and I like the fact that people are fascinated with it as well.

·
903 Posts
6 month anniversary on July 18th #376 off the assembly line....
Well bought my black pro4x diesel on january 18th. I have about 8000 miles on the truck. Have had a couple hiccups along the way with transfer case and rear glass lock breaking. The tailgate sticks sometimes (needs adjusted). I bought it because I do haul our 6500 camper along with all of our camping supplies. Also need it for the occasional dump trailer rental for misclaneous supply runs and firewood. The truck handles great under load with a trailer (great tranny braking with tow mode). I would only recommend getting the diesel if you have a commute of more than 10 miles (at least) daily as it isn't really a good grocery getter because of all the epa stuff. If you have a short commute as I do the fuel mileage isnt too (13-15mpg) good. However if I let this truck take a nice long trip on back roads I can get 19 to 20 miles a gallon. Truck still drives nice and tight. All in all I do enjoy my truck and hope my 1 year anniversary is a positive post as well. I didn't need a 3/4 ton and needed bigger than 1/2 ton so this truck is the perfect fit for me. Sorry to the couple folks on here that has had major problems. Unfortunately there are still trucks that are built on Friday afternoons... Good luck with everyone on here as I do enjoy hearing everyone's updates.

·
92 Posts
5,500 miles in 7 weeks and runs like a top. The truck has definitely come alive since the 5,000 mile mark. I'm getting about 20 mpg on the highway and around 14 in town. I've pulled a few things down the road and it does a great job of that.

I have read several items of concern and can tell I have had a few as well, but I'm still glad I bought this truck.

The stuttering issues I have heard and experience a couple of times on my truck, I think, are mostly because of turbo lag and may need a ECU update. It does take a while to get used to slowly getting on the throttle vs "stepping" on it like a gas engine. My truck does hunt at idle a few times and I will have that looked at during the first service.

My DEF consumption has gone down significantly. I'm guessing I now get about 2,000 MPG of DEF.

I can tell you from personal experience that both General Motors (GMC and Chevy) and Ford have as many issues. I had numerous issues with my last three trucks. I average about 35,000 miles a year and the 3 last trucks used oil at 100,000 miles. All three were sent down the road with a lot of mechanical issues. My last GMC, a 2012 Sierra, had rust pits everywhere, oil consumption, tranny issues and re-occurring electrical issues at 120,000 miles.

Hopefully the Nissan will hold together better.

·
147 Posts
5200 miles since 5-31-16 and a great truck so far. only trip ive made back to the dealership was to get my license plates. Here's some misc info on my trk

- White 2x4 SL Diesel
- Black leather, very comfortable seats. Did a 13 hr drive from Colorado few weeks ago and never felt fatigued
- I test drove a gas xd before i bought my diesel. I didnt have to have a diesel but i just liked the overall feel so much better.
- I added 2.5 gal of def after first 3k miles
- Worst mpg ive have had out of a tank is 17 (it was first tank of gas and had 2 regens)
- Best mpg out of tank about 21.4 , a lot of HWY and dont think i had a regen
- Acceleration and shifting seemed to smooth out after a few k miles

I would rate the truck 8.5 out of 10 especially considering the recent, more discounted prices. It would be nice to have a little more payload and that DEF gauge just has me scratching my head.

Overall i just love driving the g/d beast.

·
214 Posts
Diesel Pro-4x
8800km so far.
Averaged 15.5L/100km, but that include a 4000km trip on Québec's Côte-Nord towing my 2500lbs camper up to Kegaska.
I usually do 12L/100km on the highway while empty.

Changed the tailgate lock twice!
Had the ECU reprogrammed while on vacation because of a check engine light (P20B).
Added 3x 9.48L jug of DEF so far.

I love the truck!

·
171 Posts
Diesel Pro-4X
Aprox 5100 Miles
Break-In MPG: 15.4
Current MPG: 16.9
Best MPG: 24.2

Normally get lower 20s on the highway and low teens in town and used 2 jugs of DEF so far. Still like the Truck a lot despite the teething issues at this point. Should have a fix for my tailgate in September

·
10 Posts
1 month in on my 2016 Titan XD SL V8 Gas with 1400 miles
60 miles round trip to and from work
Getting 17 MPG
Only Problem is the slight vibration I can feel in the floor board on both driver and passenger side at around 2000 RPM's Dealer says its normal and Nothing to worry about

·
154 Posts
Bought my 4x4 PR on 3/8/16 got 4300 miles on it.

As of now took in for
new carpet
mud flaps
new rear seat
new door panel on of the doors
just recently got the transmission reset due to weird shifiting.
also parts are on order for the diesel smell.

I've had truck at nissan several times. for about a total of 10 or so days. the guys at service dept are very cooperative so i can't be mad at anyone. If the tranny relearn thing works and solves the problem then ill be good.

im not going to lie i did think about trading it in and giving up. But like everyone on here i like the convenience of driving it because its smaller then 3/4 ton trucks. also i tow a lot and having something that is overkill i think is better then having a truck that is maxed out and struggling.

Don't get me wrong i had problems and am currently working thru a major one. like it would anyone it does frustrate me but knowing what i know i would make this purchase again with no regrets.

I live in a city with a lot of trucks. and we get questions and compliments on a daily basis. people with trucks from the "big 3" give me compliments and ask to take pics with there trucks. its an amazing truck i hope this trans learn thing works out and ill be a happy man.

·
34 Posts
I have a blue PR diesel and I now have very close to 12K on it. I also took it on a 6K mile Alaska trip for 3 weeks. I drove the whole length of the Alaskan Highway (AKA ALCAN), down to Anchorage and also drove the Dalton Highway. The truck performed excellent ; even shut it down for 9 hours in middle of the nowhere 150 miles from the nearest town. The Dalton Highway threw me some nice weather at the start and ended at Deadhorse with 25 degree temps, freezing drizzle/fog, 50+ miles of road that was under construction and very soupy gravel/sand mix in spots. Most of the 50+ miles was locked up in 4x4 mode high, with gravel berms and very deep washboard. The truck was covered in brown mud from top to bottom. The truck performed great thru this section of the Dalton Highway and had enough clearance to straddle the berms when needed. The trip I got about 21.5 MPG mostly under 65 MPH and the Diesel fuel was no problem to get at the bigger towns along the way. The only problem I had was with the tailgate lock with the key; sometimes would not lock and sometimes stayed locked but fixed it by taken the inside cover off until I got home. I never did see another one on the Alcan or in Alaska; I did see one in Vancouver, BC on the BC-5 Superhighway road with hood up and no one around. I Nissan hit a home run with the diesel truck fit and finish are great. I have not any problems with it all.

·
171 Posts
5,500 miles in 7 weeks and runs like a top. The truck has definitely come alive since the 5,000 mile mark. I'm getting about 20 mpg on the highway and around 14 in town. I've pulled a few things down the road and it does a great job of that.

I have read several items of concern and can tell I have had a few as well, but I'm still glad I bought this truck.

The stuttering issues I have heard and experience a couple of times on my truck, I think, are mostly because of turbo lag and may need a ECU update. It does take a while to get used to slowly getting on the throttle vs "stepping" on it like a gas engine. My truck does hunt at idle a few times and I will have that looked at during the first service.
Yes you do; the new software for better or worse makes the truck a completely different animal and I prefer it now much more.

Before you get the new program watch the boost gauge and see how agressive it is and then compare it to after the flash.

It appears the new programming does a better job of letting the engine work rather than relying on boost alone and isn't any where near as touchy. My guess is they moved the boost point closer to 3k than 1k RPM as it drives almost identical to my old LS3 SS.

Post flash for me cleared an EGR issue and normally I regen every other tank and now I'm on tank #4 and it hasn't regen yet. Gas mileage is down 1mpg or so but its better overall with the reduced regen rate.

Transmission shifting is way way softer now and more in line with my wife's LTZ Tahoe and downshifts are more crisp.

TLDR; if you want the "truck" experience keep the original programming; if you want it to act like a N/A V8 sports car or SUV get the tune.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts