Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 titan xd full delete 122,000 miles on it. I bought it to tow a small tractor and fifth wheel. In stock form I got stuck three times and in 4 wheel low wouldn't even spin the tires and the engine wouldn't rev past 1200 rpm in or out of 4 wheel drive. Was going to get rid of the truck until I started reading the forums and read about the delete kits. I kept reading and once my 75,000 mile warranty was up bought the ezlynk II and 5" exhaust and full delete from extreme diesels. Took a full day to install and what a beast was awakened. I've haven't gone any higher than the #2 tune which is suppose to be for towing and fuel mileage. I gained two miles a gallon with this tune and pickup was amazing. Bought a set of toyo tires as close to stock size as I could and haven't gotten stuck since. Driving home last Friday just like a few have mentioned let off the gas to slow down in a 55 mph zone and the motor started knocking horribly. I shut the engine off and put it in neutral and coasted to a station. Opened the hood expecting a rod or a hole to be visible and oil every where but nothing. Checked dip stick and oil was good. Checked underneath nothing. Started it back up and it was knocking. I limped home and called Nissan, they wanted to see the car Monday. Towed it in and after the initial hour 99.99 charge was told they needed another 3 to 4 hours to trouble shoot the engine. Three hours later service man came to tell me the turbo went bad sucking in all the oil and the rings were burnt out and had low compression on 7 of the 8 cylinders. When I asked how that could be without loosing oil psi and not burning any oil since it still showed good on dip stick of course he couldn't answer other than telling me it would be $17,000 to replace the motor. I told him goodbye and towed my truck home. I searched for and found the CEO of Cummins e-mail address and wrote him a little note of fact and disappointment in the this Cummins engine and thanked him for letting me vent a little since now I have a $60,000 flower pot. To my surprise I actually got a response from a gentlemen on his staff and we'll be talking about this motor Thursday morning.

·
498 Posts
Yup, that's another broken crank shaft. Good luck on dealing with Cummins (in a good way). My gut feeling is Cummins will do something on your case.

Just curious, though, did you un-delete it before towing to Nissan? If you didn't, I strongly suggest you do that before Cummins engineer looks at it.

·
550 Posts
Yep, broken crank, not the turbo at all. And yes if it was deleted and tuned they may tell you to pound sand.

·
87 Posts
Duramax crankshafts were breaking left and right for awhile because of the firing order putting to much torque at the front of the engine. They’ve changed the firing order since

1 - 6 of 6 Posts