Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 titan xd full delete 122,000 miles on it. I bought it to tow a small tractor and fifth wheel. In stock form I got stuck three times and in 4 wheel low wouldn't even spin the tires and the engine wouldn't rev past 1200 rpm in or out of 4 wheel drive. Was going to get rid of the truck until I started reading the forums and read about the delete kits. I kept reading and once my 75,000 mile warranty was up bought the ezlynk II and 5" exhaust and full delete from extreme diesels. Took a full day to install and what a beast was awakened. I've haven't gone any higher than the #2 tune which is suppose to be for towing and fuel mileage. I gained two miles a gallon with this tune and pickup was amazing. Bought a set of toyo tires as close to stock size as I could and haven't gotten stuck since. Driving home last Friday just like a few have mentioned let off the gas to slow down in a 55 mph zone and the motor started knocking horribly. I shut the engine off and put it in neutral and coasted to a station. Opened the hood expecting a rod or a hole to be visible and oil every where but nothing. Checked dip stick and oil was good. Checked underneath nothing. Started it back up and it was knocking. I limped home and called Nissan, they wanted to see the car Monday. Towed it in and after the initial hour 99.99 charge was told they needed another 3 to 4 hours to trouble shoot the engine. Three hours later service man came to tell me the turbo went bad sucking in all the oil and the rings were burnt out and had low compression on 7 of the 8 cylinders. When I asked how that could be without loosing oil psi and not burning any oil since it still showed good on dip stick of course he couldn't answer other than telling me it would be $17,000 to replace the motor. I told him goodbye and towed my truck home. I searched for and found the CEO of Cummins e-mail address and wrote him a little note of fact and disappointment in the this Cummins engine and thanked him for letting me vent a little since now I have a $60,000 flower pot. To my surprise I actually got a response from a gentlemen on his staff and we'll be talking about this motor Thursday morning.

·
624 Posts
Yup, that's another broken crank shaft. Good luck on dealing with Cummins (in a good way). My gut feeling is Cummins will do something on your case.

Just curious, though, did you un-delete it before towing to Nissan? If you didn't, I strongly suggest you do that before Cummins engineer looks at it.

·
616 Posts
Yep, broken crank, not the turbo at all. And yes if it was deleted and tuned they may tell you to pound sand.

·
111 Posts
Duramax crankshafts were breaking left and right for awhile because of the firing order putting to much torque at the front of the engine. They’ve changed the firing order since

·
228 Posts
2016 titan xd full delete 122,000 miles on it..... I searched for and found the CEO of Cummins e-mail address and wrote him a little note of fact and disappointment in the this Cummins engine and thanked him for letting me vent a little since now I have a $60,000 flower pot. To my surprise I actually got a response from a gentlemen on his staff and we'll be talking about this motor Thursday morning.
Hi

Very interested to find out what, if anything, happened here.

I am getting more & more pissed/concerned with the whole Nissan/Cummins situation, and the discontinuing of production of this powerplant. I was told by my Nissan Service Supervisor last week "be prepared to spend most the day here, or have another vehicle, as we (still) only have 1 diesel tech, and he will get to you as/when he can"... and this is for a likely warranty claim on the lift pump. What the hell is this going to look like in 3 or more years?

·
579 Posts
First, I love the truck but after some resent events I told Nissan they need to do something and filed for a buy back. Local dealer did not have oil or fuel filters. A week later the truck broke 50 mile from home at a worksite. Called three dealers within 15 miles. One had not tech said sorry don't bring it here, two others said I could bring it there but it would be at least two weeks before they could even look at it.
Towed it to a local dealer and the one tech we waited for to come off vacation. Egr cooler 3 days, ok, coolant tank and sensor back ordered. After Nissan corp nation wide search a week and a half, repaired. Tech did not burp system so for next three days had to top off coolant.
Lesson, dealers are not going to staff or stock parts for a vehicle they are not making, selling and per the tech, they don't want to work on.
We have become the unwanted redheaded stepchild of a bad divorce.

·
624 Posts
I guess it's time to learn how to fix every thing on the truck and forget the dealer once warranty is up.

Wondering if we create a group and give Nissan a good voice, what would it do.

Hell, I love this Titan XD with Cummins, though.

·
185 Posts
or once it's out of warranty, maybe find a local Diesel shop to do your repairs; the one local to me is called Outlaw Diesel Performance; I took a ride down to them (about 30 mins away) and talked to one of the techs there. they hadn't worked on any Nissan Cummins (yet) but did work on all the other big three. he told me he'd be excited to service or upgrade mine whenever I decided to bring it to them. I do all my own maintenance and 'normal' service but if it ever breaks down in a big way and was out of warranty I'd take it to them (when I was talking to the guy in the shop they were working on a Ford and had the entire body off the frame working on the motor so that made me feel like they were 'serious' mechanics)

·
9 Posts
I guess it's time to learn how to fix every thing on the truck and forget the dealer once warranty is up.

Wondering if we create a group and give Nissan a good voice, what would it do.

Hell, I love this Titan XD with Cummins, though.
Great suggestion, as most of us here have been loyal customers to nissan and spoke man's for them. From what I've researched nissan actually built the XD for their loyal followers and tried get in a market for the all duty truck. So in return we as a whole group should simply remind them of their loyalty to their customers.

·
579 Posts
or once it's out of warranty, maybe find a local Diesel shop to do your repairs; the one local to me is called Outlaw Diesel Performance; I took a ride down to them (about 30 mins away) and talked to one of the techs there. they hadn't worked on any Nissan Cummins (yet) but did work on all the other big three. he told me he'd be excited to service or upgrade mine whenever I decided to bring it to them. I do all my own maintenance and 'normal' service but if it ever breaks down in a big way and was out of warranty I'd take it to them (when I was talking to the guy in the shop they were working on a Ford and had the entire body off the frame working on the motor so that made me feel like they were 'serious' mechanics)
You are correct. Its a good truck. Heavily made and that will be the route we may all have to go. Still for all of us, we will still have an issue getting parts even if we have someone to work on them.

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Want to update everyone on my dead engine. I did get a call from Cummins and spoke with John Tyner. I explained my situation and what happened. The outcome was Cummins can't assist directly due to the Nissan contract. He gave me a Nissan Corporate number to call and file a claim. When I called and told them my name and vin # they already had a claim number on me. I was referred to Nissan Public Relations Dept. for financial assistance. When I got to talk with a member I was informed Nissan would agree to pay 80% of the cost to replace the motor (about $13,600.00). When I informed him that was just the cost of a long block and if so just ship it to me and I'd install it myself. I was informed then Nissan wouldn't pay the 80%. It has to be installed by a Certified Nissan Dealership to cover any warranty. I called the dealer to bring my truck back and they already had the deal set up. So I'm now driving a brand new Nissan Rouge while they tear down my truck and once done my share will be $3,300 and change. I now have a nagging question in my mind about the dependability of this motor once up and running again. I'm thinking I need to trade it for something else. I do love this truck but I have that nagging worry about will it happen again. Should I go back to gas instead even thou it won't pull as good as the diesel?
For a final comment John Tyner from Cummins did give me a list of parts to rebuild my motor if the block was in good shape since I couldn't find any rebuild kits for it.

·
624 Posts
There was once that someone on here said Cummins is to discontinue the 5.0, but I think not. Cummins wasn't going thru R&D and tosses this away after all. Maybe the part numbers get changed, but it'll be hell to match them up. As the transmission, it won't be too long someone tries to retrofit another transmission in place of Aisin 6 speed.

Just saying...

·
624 Posts
Want to update everyone on my dead engine. I did get a call from Cummins and spoke with John Tyner. I explained my situation and what happened. The outcome was Cummins can't assist directly due to the Nissan contract. He gave me a Nissan Corporate number to call and file a claim. When I called and told them my name and vin # they already had a claim number on me. I was referred to Nissan Public Relations Dept. for financial assistance. When I got to talk with a member I was informed Nissan would agree to pay 80% of the cost to replace the motor (about $13,600.00). When I informed him that was just the cost of a long block and if so just ship it to me and I'd install it myself. I was informed then Nissan wouldn't pay the 80%. It has to be installed by a Certified Nissan Dealership to cover any warranty. I called the dealer to bring my truck back and they already had the deal set up. So I'm now driving a brand new Nissan Rouge while they tear down my truck and once done my share will be $3,300 and change. I now have a nagging question in my mind about the dependability of this motor once up and running again. I'm thinking I need to trade it for something else. I do love this truck but I have that nagging worry about will it happen again. Should I go back to gas instead even thou it won't pull as good as the diesel?
For a final comment John Tyner from Cummins did give me a list of parts to rebuild my motor if the block was in good shape since I couldn't find any rebuild kits for it.
It's great that you don't have to pay 100% out of pocket.

As far as the new long block, try to put some peace to your mind that the 2016s and the early 2017s may have a bad patch when Cummins produced the crankshafts. Mine is the mid-2017 and it happened to mine. When the new long block got replaced, I asked both the tech and the service adviser what year model of this long block, he said it was in the late 2018/early 2019 production patch. Hopefully it is that way.

·
190 Posts
How is it with the amount of broken crankshafts there hasn't been a recall or class action?
I agree at this point. The number is really getting up there, remember there really aren’t to many of us with the Cummins. This engine has a defect as far as I’m concerned

·
616 Posts
It's great that you don't have to pay 100% out of pocket.
Not 100% at retail, but I am pretty sure $3300 is enough to cover Nissan's cost on the engine plus their labor cost to install it.

·
8 Posts
Hi

Very interested to find out what, if anything, happened here.

I am getting more & more pissed/concerned with the whole Nissan/Cummins situation, and the discontinuing of production of this powerplant. I was told by my Nissan Service Supervisor last week "be prepared to spend most the day here, or have another vehicle, as we (still) only have 1 diesel tech, and he will get to you as/when he can"... and this is for a likely warranty claim on the lift pump. What the hell is this going to look like in 3 or more years?
I too have those concerns. Also long wait due to 1 diesel tech.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts