Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this sounds crazy, I wouldn't have believe it - and it's NOT a ECU issue.
It's the transmission, not shifting into gear from a dead stop - the slowed shifting is FIXED with a Transmission oil change and some "secret additive" the Nissan tech put added. I kid you not - we just had $1440.00 worth of work (all filters, all oil, all fluids, etc.) changed at 96,000.

I mentioned how the dead pedal issue, about a 2 second delay at a stop sign/stop light was dangerous, you hit the gas pedal, nothing - suddenly the damn truck lurches forward like someone snorting awake from a nap!

We have NO updates to the ECU or transmission electronics- nothing done, it was 100% mechanical - 2 weeks ago.
I mean, EVERY thing, filter, fluid, brake fluid, PS fluid, antifreeze - all of it changed, because I asked, our 100k warranty is 4k from expiring. If there was anything that was amiss, figured now is a good time to catch it.

Not once, even the slightest hesitation felt from a complete stop, slowing down (downshift & speed up) - the truck is so REPONSIVE - I was staring at the Tach, wondering if he bumped up the IDLE to fool us. Maybe it wasn't shifting OUT of 1st gear, was just kinda "hanging on it" for me to hit the gas - nope. It drops into 1st so damn fast now, like a manual (let off of the clutch, quick), just friggin' leaps to life, like it's SUPPOSE TO. Had I known, 95k miles ago, ...

My guess... the engine will not rev up to take off, until there is a signal it is completely/fully in gear. Something about the oil, too sticky or something was slowing down the shift from idle into gear, before the engine would rev up. The tech said he made NO adjustments to anything (other than attempting to re-aim the headlights) - failed, and front end alighment - failed (you cannot do either, if the tire pressure is incorrect!)

(I have the opposite problem on my work truck, a 2014 Silverado, 2nd transmission so far), the engine would rev up, drop into gear, and spin tires, lurch forward. Not all the time, maybe 30% of the time - very annoying, head/neck snapping back - not to mention the GLARES & STARES you get from a stop light crowd.)

I saw no notation on the work order for the "secret additive" - LOLOLOL probably Motor-Kote or EC3 stuff... LOLOLOL.

Anyhow, last time the ECU or any electronics were flashed, 2yrs ago, trying to find a solution to the same problem.
Another noteworthy thing, we hit a Deer, 2yrs ago, the transmission oil was drained all over the road. They repair shop did less than Spec work... Whatever the oil they put in, it probably was minus this additive.

So, it's been 2 weeks, 3 tanks of fuel, hauling around a 650lb rotor tiller, and 1,200lbs of lead acid batteries in the bed (not at the same time), the truck shifted exactly like it should, all smooth, no CLUNKINESS like it has done for upteen miles (2nd-3rd gear), it's just real smooth, no slips, rev-ups, ...and, this next winter, I'm gonna put 500-1000lbs in the bed of this thing, right up by the front of the box, right under the window, 'cause it handled really, really well with the weight added. Very comfortable to get off the top of those springs - no patch outs, just right!

Good luck!

Wifey loves her 2017 Titan XD truck - Diesel of course, occasionally I get to drive it... sigh...
If they had another one, and I had the $ - I'd BUY IT.

·
168 Posts
Soooooo... one of the biggest complaint issues of Titan diesel owners was fixed by a transmission fluid change and the addition of some "secret additive"? And there's no recall issued by Nissan to address this?

·
168 Posts
Yeah, I was kinda expecting him to have a link to where we could buy this mysterious "secret" additive and telling us all we had to do was use his name as a code to get 20% off.

·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know ... this is the 3rd week, the dead pedal is completely gone. I want to think they did something, restarted the learning, flashed it - nope, it was a simple oil/filter change, and some "additive" to the transmission.

It does not make any sense, other than the ECU must be waiting for some kind of "transmission IS in gear signal" before the engine would start reving up. So, I am guessing, that's all I can come up with. I mean, maybe there's some kind of linkage to a sensor that he shortened up / adjusted & didn't mention - 'cause I was pretty clear, "This is a potentially dangerous problem, the truck patching out or leaping into an intersection."

When we took it in - pedal lag was everytime we started from a stand still, or after coasting, it's always hesitating when we hit the gas. It was a 94,000 mile annoyance, we've been living with... and bitching about. It's GONE, the truck response like it's suppose to - and that other annoying 2nd to 3rd gear slamming and jerking is also GONE. It's finally smooth from one gear to the next.

We're pissed off at the dealer for the alignment (front end & headlights), so "communications are a bit strained", getting an answer on that ever the hell that additive is - something slicker, or stickier, who knows.

Service ticket says:
4x4 Service includes front and rear differencial service and transfer case 2*
#02632 & 5 * #01481 381 CPN $123.72
2 N02632 diffrerental service kit 36.99 (73.98)
5 N01482 syn gear oil 15.03 (75.15)
2 999MP-ATFD3MP ATF D3M 21.43 (42.86)
parts $191.99 labor $123.72 $315.71 total

OK.... I'm wondering what the hell is: 2 999MP-ATFD3MP ATF D3M @ $21.43 each? 4x4 transfer case..?
Differential service kit is probably seals for the covers. 5 bottles of gear lube for the differentials.

Then, there's this:
NTDF Nissan Transmission drain and refill
381 CPN
10 999MP-MTK00P MATIC K AUTO TRANS FLUID 10.99 (109.90)
LABOR 99.95 TOTAL 209.85

The "service advisor" said he was "putting an additive into the transmission and then taking it out for a road test."
I see nothing else. Nothing about adjusting a sensor or possibly a limit switch ...? Maybe the guy had enough complaints and did something not recorded on the ticket - but that damn lag is GONE, and the thump/clunk between 2nd & 3rd also gone. sorry, that's all I got - if we start talking with the dealer again, I'm gonna pick the transmission service guys brain.

·
86 Posts
I’ve experienced the dead peddle before, but it’s really not an issue. It basically acts as if you have a large turbo that takes awhile to spool. Just ease into the peddle before smashing it and you’d never run into that issue.

·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’ve experienced the dead peddle before, but it’s really not an issue. It basically acts as if you have a large turbo that takes awhile to spool. Just ease into the peddle before smashing it and you’d never run into that issue.
Our (wifey's truck) is the BASE model, her FARM truck, gets 75% hwy miles (+55mph), 25% city miles driven.
The only "mod" was adding fog lights, a back flip cover and "rug like bed liner" (which she just hauled straw bales, and it'll be a MESS to clean out) - we got tarps, she keeps forgetting them. And we got the swing out tool boxes in the very back of the truck - LOVE those things!!!
Truck is otherwise STOCK, no mods. We've had 3 inquiries from dealers to buy it - trade it in - "have a customer who wants to buy that diesel truck you have."
---------
This was about a 2-3 second delay, like the engine was stalling, when starting from a fully stopped, idling, then it would hop into gear and take off - like someone slapped it - and the engine woke up. In a carbureted gas engine, it was like the accelerator pump (gives a shot of fuel, when you mash it) was missing the link, not working... the engine would sort of stall, and then rev up. At idle, the gauge says about 650-700 rpm, with the AC running - is that about right...? If the tech bumped up the idle - and it fixed the dead pedal delayed start - hurray!!!

Well, that engine delay/stall from stopped, is GONE, and yes I do have the expected Turbo spooling up, but that's smooth, like silk, for my wifey (who I say, babies it) - I keep telling her to "drive it like she stole it" LOL. The shifting might be different, about 1100mi since the oil change - passing cars, the turbos spooling up, don't know if it's the same as before, but, feels & sounds the same. I'll look at the boost screen next time, see if they're near "resting" when I punch it. The hard shift from 2nd to 3rd, much smoother now... with or without being loaded with weight in the back. I will say, this truck LIKES about 600-1200lbs in the back, right in front of the rear tires, the ride, handling, shifting, everything is very nice - and it's got the HP / Torque to easily make up for the added weight.

I'm totally guessing - but they TOLD me, they did NOT do any reset, or programming (other than after rotating the tires to get them reset).

I'm looking at MPG dropped 1.4-1.6 mpg to 17mpg range. I had Aimsoil in it for 15,000 since the last change, was getting over 18 - all the time (18.6mpg averaging). rather than dump it, we'll run it and add ... Motor Kote. It's gonna go in everywhere, differentials, xtrans, etc., and engine. The truck is all broken in, now we want to get 350k miles or better - and it's running like it should make it. With the extra slippery lube in the drivetrain, maybe we'll hit our goal of 20mpg...? Maybe the drop in MPG was/is the combination of weight in the back and running the AC now...?

Good luck - we're very happy to have that solved, this truck has been wifey's pride and joy, I get to drive it now and then, 'cause I'm paying for it. She won't even let the kids drive it!... and it's a FARM Truck!

·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It’s an issue...it SUCKS.
Absolutely - I told the service writer, many times, this is DANGEROUS, leaping into an intersection from a cold stop, can't you guys figure this out before someone gets into a accident? We were just resolved to "live with it". 1100miles since, smooth starts every one of them. Something got changed, maybe some "tweek" for a sensor in the transmission? It's be worth looking at that much - if there's any relationship between the dead stop / start... and the hard shift from 2nd to 3rd gear. Like an "in-gear" position sensor? I am GUESSING - something changed on our truck, it's fixed. Just oil...? Sounds too good to be true, that's all they'd tell me.

·
695 Posts
I call BS on this.

How does a fluid change modify a drive-by-wire electronic throttle?
Because it has nothing to do with the drive-by-wire electronic throttle and everything to do with the torque management system, which I have discussed at length dozens of times before. The transmission tells the ECU "I am not ready yet" and so the ECU waits to apply fuel. A pedal commander DOES NOT FIX THIS, PERIOD. End of story.

Reactions: Mongo61

·
8 Posts
Because it has nothing to do with the drive-by-wire electronic throttle and everything to do with the torque management system, which I have discussed at length dozens of times before. The transmission tells the ECU "I am not ready yet" and so the ECU waits to apply fuel. A pedal commander DOES NOT FIX THIS, PERIOD. End of story.
Soooo, what’s the “fix” then? I agree, it’s a problem.

·
123 Posts
I can tell y’all this much, about a month ago my coolant level sensor went bad and egr. Left it at dealership and once fixed I noticed trans was shifting different. Since this truck left the dealer I have never had this truck shift so good and no dead pedal. I asked what they did and they said nothing. Blows my mind

·
1,044 Posts
Typically, when they conduct maintenance that requires Consult III to program or activate certain components, it resets other items. The trans probably just is back in a relearn procedure. Which I wish we could initiate on our own.

·
123 Posts
Typically, when they conduct maintenance that requires Consult III to program or activate certain components, it resets other items. The trans probably just is back in a relearn procedure. Which I wish we could initiate on our own.
Well whatever it is is fucking awesome!! It shifts perfectly now

1 - 15 of 15 Posts