Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

New to the forum, been following for months and like many of you still have outstanding questions. However, I was able to see a Platinum Reserve "pre-production" model last week and thought I'd share my thoughts for those of you who haven't had a similar opportunity. In no particular order:

Looks are very subjective but I liked it even more so in person than the hundreds of pictures and videos I've seen.

Big front end. Way bigger than it looks in photos. The hood is long but not in an obnoxious way. Had some beefy tow hooks up front under the bumper. The headlights were impressive, very bright. Using halogen fog lamps and LED beams is a feature I think I'll like. One feature I wasn't aware of was the adjustable level headlamps (via a 3 stage roll switch left of steering column). Could be neat if you've got a heavy load sagging the rear end. The grill is actually impressive, looks very nice.

Tow mirrors are just okay, a little smaller than I would have preferred but I'm used to the giant RAM mirrors. They do manually fold in and the Plat Reserve did extend outwards (also manually) for towing.

Doors opened wide (especially in the rear) which is a nice feature for loading large items into the cab. Door handles were nice and doors shut and sealed firmly.

Tailgate was nicely dampened and well balanced for extremely easy lifting - A little thing that made a big impression. The power outlet and bed lights were as expected. The gooseneck appeared to be fine operationally - I was disappointed that they (ball and hooks) do not store in place (like a b&w turnover hitch), rather can be removed for in cab storage (under rear drivers side seat). Also, disappointed that the covers they include (to cover the holes when hitch and hooks are being stored) are cheap plastic garbage - They won't last long.

The "skid" plates for the platinum reserve were minimal and very cheap. They only covered the oil pan and fuel tank (which by the way is a measly 26 gallons...) - The Pro4x sounds like it will have better skid coverage. Also, found out the P4X is the only vehicle that will receive the electronic diff lock. All others will be restricted to limited slip. Big bummer.

Didn't appear to be a whole lot of room for oversized tire storage under the bed. The 265/60R20 filled the slot without much room to spare. So those of us interested in larger tires may have to get used to the idea of having an undersized spare (unfortunate for 4x4 vehicles) or storing a full size in the bed.

As for the interior, I was impressed all the way around. The PR was loaded, similar to Ford's Platinum or Ram's Laramie. The leather was incredibly soft - nicest leather in any top of the line pickup.

Seats are comfortable and there is plenty of room in the backseat. I'm 6'5" and adjusted the drivers seat all the way down and back for my standard driving position - Sat behind that seat and my knees didn't touch the drivers seat. Also, the front seats recline all the way to horizontal which is something I didn't expect.

The instrument panel was nicely laid out. I was able to scroll through the menu and look at all the options (auxiliary gauges, tire pressure, def, etc). This particular truck showed 11.9 mpg but only had a few hundred miles and the rep admitted to getting on it a bit. The steering wheel seemed a bit small but leather/wood was nice.

Entertainment system was nice. I connected my iPhone via Bluetooth and it loaded my music much quicker than the Ram does. I didn't jack up the volume but it sounded good at a moderate level. Navigation was as expected.

I found myself impressed with all of the various buttons (windows, locks, stereo, AC, etc.) - They all had very positive feel to them. Not sure how to explain it but a good click, nothing was loose or sloppy. An odd thing but added to the overall impression.

Unfortunately I was not allowed to drive the truck. I started it up and it sounded great. Quiet but still had a nice diesel ring to it (unlike the newer Fords which are just plain silent).

Overall, I was impressed. I was ready to buy one 6 months ago but now have some hesitations (payload, towing capacity, mpg claims, etc). Seems like the more data Nissan releases the more questions I have. Here's to hoping for some good information after the NDA expires tomorrow.

Sorry for the long, rambling, random post but hopefully it will help someone.

·
608 Posts
Unfortunately I was not allowed to drive the truck. I started it up and it sounded great. Quiet but still had a nice diesel ring to it (unlike the newer Fords which are just plain silent).
So when will you get a test drive?

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was told full production would begin 11/19. My dealer expects to get invoices by the first week of December. They'll purchase the first truck they get (estimated to be the last week of Dec/first of Jan) to use as a demo for test drives.

·
857 Posts
I was told full production would begin 11/19. My dealer expects to get invoices by the first week of December. They'll purchase the first truck they get (estimated to be the last week of Dec/first of Jan) to use as a demo for test drives.
They better get some lists going for those that want to test drive one since i can imagine it's going to be a lot of people. I just hope Nissan moves these demo's at a good rate.

·
772 Posts
i was told the dealers would only get 2 XD's each. but the factory has orders of 80k to be produced per year after the initial intro.

The dealer had a platinum reserve and the leather is incredible. The nicest leather i have ever been around.

·
363 Posts
It's an odd roll-out.

I attended a local Ford 2.7L EB roll-out and you could drive it like you stole it. They also gave you a hat and gift card. It was a good experience for just a few mins of your time.

·
15 Posts
Did you take any pictures by any chance?
I didn't take any pics. It was a blue platinum reserve model. Definitely a prototype. No Titan boxes. Running boards were not as long as the ones that will come with the real truck. Seats were COMFORTABLE. Back seat leg room better than any car or truck I sat in in 30 years. I am a buyer at the right price.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts