Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So brought the xd home getting about 18mpg. I have been really all over the board with mpg. I have seen 8.8. ,14.6 mpg, and currently getting 12.4 mpg? New to the diesel and set. Have seen the term regen on forum a few times? I have not been beating the truck and drive the same route. Mix of about 5 miles country and 5 miles interstate several times a day. I do let it idle a good bit of I just have a short stop (between 5 to 10 minutes) at a time. I have been actually trying to drive it gently to increase my mpg but seems to not be working? Could it be this regen I keep hearing about? New to diesel so don't have much experience with this? Any advice? I gotta be doing something wrong?

·
214 Posts
Just a theory, but maybe you don't drive long enough for the regen to finish completely, and since you seem to do many small trips, maybe you're putting more crap in your exhaus teying to warm up, hence the constant regen cycle.

Then again, I may be full of hot air ;)

·
54 Posts
With the def systems driving gently just means more regens specially your short trips kills the fuel mileage. To avoid regens the eng needs to get hot either getting on it now and then or tow with. Your mileage should improve.

·
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the input. I watched some stuff on YouTube about regen and have a little better understanding. Thinking I am going to have to get on it ? to get my mpg up.

·
1,300 Posts
FJC is correct. Your truck is in partial regen, they will not start until a cretin temp is achieved, once it hits it's marks it will go into the burn. Sooo go for a drive and let her finish up, than you will see the milage go
back up.
Idling any new Diesel will plug up the dpf, so start it up let it idle for 5 min max and start your trip. Regens will occur I would say at least once every couple tanks of fuel, it's normal.
This is the main reason why people install delete kits on there trucks to prevent the regen cycle and to remove the EGR and DPF. EGR is pulling exhaust back into the engine... anyone that says an egr is a good thing they need to be taken out back, this design does reduce the life of an engine, there are alot of people that don't think but they don't rebuild diesels for a living.

THANKS EPA DICKS for killing the diesel longevity and making us burn more fuel to meet emisions. I'll delete mine ASAP and get the 3-5MPG boost thanks.

·
1,979 Posts
Diesels need to be worked, short slow trips & idling are not what you want to do to it.

·
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info all. I will work it a little more and let everyone know what happens.

·
430 Posts
How do you buy a red truck when all you have owned is blue trucks. You gotta start somewhere? I have a lot to learn...

I guess you're right. Ok. Don't shut it down, during regen. . So, like others said, keep driving. If you don't, all that extra diesel is back feeding into your oil, which is the reason for more frequent oil changes. In the long run, it will shorten the lifespan.

·
2 Posts
Idling takes quite a bit of fuel. A half hour idling time will burn as much fuel as running down the highway for 15 minutes atleast. I was boosting a tractor with my 03 ram with cummins yesterday ,then later looked at the gauge when driving down the road and wondered where the fuel went til I remembered the20 minutes or more of idling.

·
2 Posts
You're treating your Diesel wrong. It needs to be warmed up, and worked, especially now during break in. Even though Cummins was the one who wrote the book on using Diesel for Transportation, he didn't mean short in-town grocery-gitter trips! The Cummins engine is rated in hours of duty - typical is 10K hours or about 350K miles. Also, quit idling so much - it isn't good for the injectors.

When I bought my used diesel, I extracted the number of hours the engine had operated (info available from ECU) and after dividing it into the miles on the ODO, I knew I had a truck that spent most of its time cruising back highways. Trucks that have a low average of miles/hour (<25 is real bad) are the ones to avoid (lots of idle time).

Cummins offers a break-in service where they'll run the engine on a dyno for the purpose of seating the rings for those who aren't loading their trucks. I cannot say that this is the experience one will expect from this newer engine, but it is certainly a consideration for their ISB engines (RAM 5.9/6.7L). If I had a brand new XD, I would do some research, and see if I can do things that will help extend the life of the engine. Your owner's manual ought to have some break in tips. One of the best things one can do for their diesel is to hook up a wide and heavy load and hit the passes.

Don't idle so much. Idling saves start cycles, but really, how's only a few more going to make much difference especially under warranty?

·
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you to my dealer which finally over 3 weeks later just sent me my owners manual along with a diesel supplement guide which explained what everyone on here told me about. When I picked up my truck they couldn't find the extra key fob or manual , hence why I just received it. Pretty informative about the do's and dont's with diesels . I.e.... Idling, regen, warm-up, break in.

·
10 Posts
I purchased Platinum 4x4 last Saturday here in the Houston area, I currently have 276 miles on it. I have not reset the gauges for tracking mpg, just left it as it was from the dealer. I noticed the truck will display two mpg values; the standard one and another when you shut the engine off. Currently I am getting an average of 14.5 (this value seems to keep rising and it is for city/highway and a lot of short trips) the other value was for 20.4 after I had been on the highway doing between 70 and 75. I have yet to see a regen yet. I have noticed this engine wants to move - it loves highway speeds. I am going to wait a week or so and then reset the trip meters - see what mpg's I get then. Also at the end of the month I will be going camping pulling a 7K pound trailer - can't wait to see what the mileage will be.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts