Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had problems with the sale of DEF fluid? Are their fluid dispensing checks done on the DEF fluid, like with the diesel fuel to make sure a true gallon is dispensed? I think the station I used to last fill the DEF tank was cheating. The sales ticket listed more DEF fluid than was actually dispensed. My reason for the suspicion are: The sales slip said I put 3.9 gals. of DEF into the tank. (My tank only holds 4.1 gals.) In the 29K miles I have drive my Titian, the DEF level gauge on the dash has been accurate, telling me when my DEF tank was down to 25% full. I received no such indication that I was down to the 25% level prior to putting the DEF into the tank. Secondly, my DEF usage has been averaging about a gallon every thousand miles. From my records, the DEF tank should have been about half full from my last DEF fill, requiring about 2 gallons to fill it but the sales slip said I put in 3.9 gals.

Are we suppose to use the DEF pump to fill a gallon jug and then dump it into the DEF tank? Then we know exactly how much DEF we are getting when dispensed from the hose. If a problem is suspected, whom should be contacted? (The girl behind the counter knows nothing.) Maybe the State organization which checks the diesel pumps for their accurate dispensing of fuel? Any ideas suggestions.

·
141 Posts
Easy...quit stressin’ and buy it in a jug.

·
616 Posts
The sales slip said I put 3.9 gals. of DEF into the tank. (My tank only holds 4.1 gals.) In the 29K miles I have drive my Titian, the DEF level gauge on the dash has been accurate, telling me when my DEF tank was down to 25% full.
That sounds about right. The gauge doesn't even start to move until you're down to about a gallon, and if you have a DEF Low: 25% warning, you're down to about 0.25 gallons, meaning it will hold approximately 3.85.

·
64 Posts
Def at stations

Walmart $7.88 for 2.5 gallon jug.
Wow, $12.97 here in Florida at Wally -- same at Advanced Auto Supply -- only get the good price for 2 two and one half gallon jugs there.
It's half price at the stations that dispense and I haven't noticed any bad readings. Usually the Pilot station on 301 but there fuel is 30 to 40 cents more per gallon. I fuel up elsewhere but get the DEF there.

·
296 Posts
Wow, $12.97 here in Florida at Wally -- same at Advanced Auto Supply -- only get the good price for 2 two and one half gallon jugs there.
It's half price at the stations that dispense and I haven't noticed any bad readings. Usually the Pilot station on 301 but there fuel is 30 to 40 cents more per gallon. I fuel up elsewhere but get the DEF there.
SuperTech is the $7, Blue Def is $12 we have both in my walmart.

·
Premium Member
1,160 Posts
I have not figured out why the fuel is much more expensive at places like Pilot and the like. My local walmart on Gunn highway is just over $3.00/gallon and def is $7.88/2.5 gallon. I did some research, they regulate the DEF so everyone has it the same, just the price is different. I have the pilot credit card and they give an .08 discount off the cash price but it is still way more expensive. I paid $3.08 in Douglas Georgia and I noticed the price in Pearson to be $3.05 for diesel.

·
323 Posts
Walmart usually has blue def for about $12 up here but regularly has sales for $7. We don't have DEF at the pump. Last week I saw blue def at Costco for the very first time for $11. I've always thought it strange they didn't sell it with all of the diesel pickups we have up here.

·
226 Posts
DEF is DEF. Buy the Super Tech for $7.88 at WalMart. The Blue is just way more expensive, not "better". Piss is piss even if its manufactured.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts