Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new member/owner!
Picked up a Platinum Reserve 4wd this past Saturday, Forged Copper is the color.
Beautiful truck, I'm loving driving it and super excited but then...today after only driving a short distance an error message appeared on the center display!?
it reads "DEF system error see dealer". Total miles when this happened was only 150 so over to my dealer i went. The DEF level is topped off of course as its brand new. The tech checked it out for a while and they told me that during thier initial post delivery inspection they may have neglected to calibrate a metering level in the system? Anyway i was told it was all good and hit the road no biggie, didn't get but a few miles down the road and the same warning reappeared again! Anybody else having this issue? I have to bring it back in so they can try to work out this bug. Love the truck but this is dampening my enthusiasm just a little bit, but I'm sire they will figure it out.
Thanks for reading and for any help/input!

·
929 Posts
May have a sensor unplugged, lose connection or defective.

DEF System Error: See Dealer

This message appears when the DEF system

encounters an error. It is recommended that you

have the system checked by a NISSAN dealer or

other qualified technician . For additional information,

refer to “Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF)” in the

“Fueling and refueling” section of this manual.

·
1,300 Posts
There is a buggered up sensor with in the Def system one of those Lil buggers isn't getting its reference volts back so it's throwing a code. Nothing new in new diesel world... my 13 ram is always being stupid like that.

Reactions: TXCummin

·
929 Posts
Hi all, new member/owner!
Picked up a Platinum Reserve 4wd this past Saturday, Forged Copper is the color.
Beautiful truck, I'm loving driving it and super excited but then...today after only driving a short distance an error message appeared on the center display!?
it reads "DEF system error see dealer". Total miles when this happened was only 150 so over to my dealer i went. The DEF level is topped off of course as its brand new. The tech checked it out for a while and they told me that during thier initial post delivery inspection they may have neglected to calibrate a metering level in the system? Anyway i was told it was all good and hit the road no biggie, didn't get but a few miles down the road and the same warning reappeared again! Anybody else having this issue? I have to bring it back in so they can try to work out this bug. Love the truck but this is dampening my enthusiasm just a little bit, but I'm sire they will figure it out.
Thanks for reading and for any help/input!

Are you in a cold weather area? If your DEF level is too high and the tank has frozen the heater will not be able to thaw it out. Had one in today that was a big block of ice.

·
17 Posts
I know you don't want to hear this .... but all who purchase All New Vehicles like this are essentially the test bed for production Quality Control. The laye 2016 and early 2017 Titans will have these bugs worked out. If its a faulty sensor...wiring harness...or production issue; they will see it enough and work it out.
No need to get discouraged over this as your going to probably see more smaller issues that will get figured out.
Good Luck!

·
66 Posts
Hey Caveman, did you ever get the "DEF system error" resolved?
I'm wondering because it just popped up on my dash, 3 days ago. It hasn't come back (yet?)

I didn't do anything, while it was happening. Today, I JUST added DEF fluid.
I didn't need the Fluid, as my DEF level has been reading OK, the entire time.

Over the weekend, it appeared. . . . on and off (during the day), briefly.
Then while on the highway (at night), for a longer period of time.

But as of Monday morn., it has not returned.

·
8 Posts
Def System Error

Same thing here in Florida this afternoon. Blue DEF was added 2 weeks ago and been fine until today. Driving at 50mph the light and check engine appeared(Yellow light). Level is fine. Have an appointment with dealer Monday at 7am!!
7500 miles andjust had oil and filter changed by dealer a week ago.

The manual shows dash light symbols but some appear to not be shown in the manual. :surprise:

·
1,300 Posts
It happens so guys, Def is stupid and a real pain. Was talking with one of my clients on friday and he has a brand new duramax with like 8000km on it and his truck was in the shop for Def issues it would put his truck into limp mode and the truck would not work. They had his truck for 3 weeks trying to sort out the issues. They ended up replacing the whole def system, tank, harnesses, injectors, and his ecm.

So we're not the only trucks with hick-ups that are brand new hahaha.

·
1,979 Posts
It happens so guys, Def is stupid and a real pain. Was talking with one of my clients on friday and he has a brand new duramax with like 8000km on it and his truck was in the shop for Def issues it would put his truck into limp mode and the truck would not work. They had his truck for 3 weeks trying to sort out the issues. They ended up replacing the whole def system, tank, harnesses, injectors, and his ecm.

So we're not the only trucks with hick-ups that are brand new hahaha.
Yeah, the 18 wheelers are dealing with similar issues.

·
78 Posts
Same issue for me today, too. An error popped up, DEF SYSTEM FAILURE, the MIL stays lit (yellow). I guess I'll be driving it to the dealer tomorrow. 5k miles on it.

Odd that it doesn't save the error message anywhere. I may have missed it completely if I hadn't looked at the instrument cluster when the error message kicked me out of cruise control.

·
78 Posts
So I dropped the truck off this morning (yellow Malfunction Indicator Light still lit) and sometime between when I left it and they took it into the service bay, the light cleared itself. I guess that's how things always seem to go down when you go in for warranty work. Symptoms seem to disappear the minute you drive onto the lot.

They did pull up several codes though, COMM errors and sensor modules for the DEF tank and SCR. But since the they couldn't find anything apparently wrong, I guess I'll have to wait for it to happen again. One interesting note, while the MIL was lit, the transmission temp gauge showed no temperature, and the DEF level showed full. I had over 1000 miles since my last DEF top off, so I know it wasn't full. So I wonder, if it is something like a loose connector, I wonder if the wiring harness connector also has the feeds for DEF and trans temp, since they were not working either.

I don't feel too much confidence in the tech; he asked if I was driving up a hill (as if to say the message I saw was related to a low DEF fluid warning versus DEF SYSTEM ERROR, and also questioned whether the dash cam I had installed was interfering with COMMS. (It's not wifi and is plugged into the cigarette lighter adapter).

I guess I'll be prepared to snap a pic next time it happens.

Attachments

·
7 Posts
Sounds like what is going on with mine

I have 500 miles on my platinum reserve and system error and now 5 mph warning. I added a gallon of def fluid even tho gauge shows full. All they told me was they hadn't seen this problem. Couldn't get and tech support holiday weekend. If they fixed yours please share. Thanks

·
8 Posts
Mine was the DEF module that had shorted out and eventually blew the fuse. Ordered a new module and installed by tech and all seems fine now. Tech swears he never has seen this before.

I was under the truck and looking for thee water drain on the primary fuel filter and could not find it. While I was at the dealer for the DEF issue I talked to the tech and he noticed that the YELLOW handle was not there and ordered the parts to install. Makes me wonder how bad the build quality is on this truck....

So far it has been:
Tailgate lock
DEF Module
Pulls to right
Hi brake light
Several other issues

·
94 Posts
Driving to work today, received a DEF SYSTEM ERROR See Dealer with a read background. Only thing on the dash is the yellow triangle with the exclamation point.

This is just more of a reason to take the risk and f*cken tuned and deleted.

·
61 Posts
So my question is the only thing that change on my system was I added BlueDef I bought from WalMart when my def got low. I am wondering if anyone else got this error after adding BlueDef to their Titans? Does the BlueDef meet the ratio requirement for UREA that the Titan requires?

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Reactions: CalAR
1 - 20 of 37 Posts