Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 Titan XD Diesel - 102k

I will cut to the point, and yes I was distracted and on the phone when I added a box of DEF to the diesel tank -

10/15/2020 (yesterday evening)

Half tank of diesel

Added full box of DEF to Diesel tank

Walked away and when I went back to the truck I saw the diesel cap unscrewed... I immediately Freaked out and started trying to find threads and videos on what to do.

I started with draining the water separator below the truck, only got a little bit of clear liquid

Then I started to backtrack my steps and realized " how could I make that mistake if its obvious as hell" I tried the a dry def nozzle to see how I could have made that mistake. Then I thought, because the diesel cap cord gets stuck on the gas cap that maybe I just unscrewed it for some odd reason,,,, I even thought I remembered pouring it correctly...... Long story short I cranked it..... it started fine, I drove to the end of the driveway and stopped. Truck started to sputter and I let it roll back to a safe location.

I syphoned out the diesel from the tank and let the water separator drain out as well... then I unhooked the line from the fuel filter in the engine and drained that out as well. I drained everything that would come out, continuously priming the pump to release the fluid. The tank was dry and the fuel gauge showed ------ mileage

Today / 10/16/2020

I added new fuel filters and drained lines prior to and haven't been able to get it to turn over.

Checked a 20 amp and a 5 amp fuse and they looked fine, unscrewed and checked the seals on the fuel filters and added sea foam, and some other additives throughout the entire process. all were diesel rated injection cleaners of some sort.

Now I cant get the low pressure warning to go away and I still cant get it to crank

That's where I am at. If anyone has any other Ideas please let me know... I have changed the lift pump (took to a mechanic) at 75k - I am thinking it might be the same thing again.

oh, and I added 5 gallons of diesel and the gauge doesn't move. I guess that's because it hasn't moved? At the gas station I can see the dial move.

·
622 Posts
All that cycling might have done the lift pump in. I know this bites but this may need a trip to the dealer.

·
175 Posts
Add more fuel to the tank. Sounds to me that you're sucking air from the tank. Another option that I do not recommend but works. Crack up the stage 2 fuel filter (engine) and have some one prime for you. Once fuel squirts out, tighten back up. Just so you know, fuel will get everywhere and you should wear eye protection.

Stay frosty

·
918 Posts
Get it towed to a shop and diagnosed as to why it won't crank as well as get an estimate to replace the entire fuel system (filler neck, tank, sending unit, lines, lift pump, hp pump, rails, injectors). Call your insurance company and have them either repair it or write it off. Once you started the truck and ran it you sent DEF through the fuel system which is corrosive to anything metal. Unless you removed the fuel tank and drained it dry, there is no way you got all of the DEF and fuel out of it.

There are going to be people that tell you it's not necessary to replace everything. The problem is that you run the risk that a part you don't get changed now may have been damaged and will fail down the road.

Bulletin NTB16-125 covers the recommended repair procedure

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
@realbored is correct (as usual) :)

I did the same thing to my truck. Distracted and busy and had to make some time I didn't have to go get some fuel and I put about 1 litre of DEF into my fuel tank at the bulk DEF pump. I did not start it and had it towed to the dealer. They showed me the procedure (Bulletin listed above) and they drained and dropped the tank, ended up doing two sets of filters and returned the truck. I believe part of the procedure is letting the fuel filter dry to see if any crystals form. If so, fuel system needs to be replaced.

I was so mad at myself for doing this!!

I think the key for me was not starting it. I only knew this from years of reading these forums so it really did save my bacon. They dealer told me the cost of the whole fuel system and it was prohibitively expensive and not worth doing on my truck which was 4 years old. But I got lucky.

Good luck!

Reactions: realbored

·
329 Posts
What a fuckin knob LOL

Take it to the dealer, I wouldnt trust your mechanical abilities being you are not very familar with color codes.....

·
6 Posts
2017 Titan XD Diesel - 102k

I will cut to the point, and yes I was distracted and on the phone when I added a box of DEF to the diesel tank -

10/15/2020 (yesterday evening)

Half tank of diesel

Added full box of DEF to Diesel tank

Walked away and when I went back to the truck I saw the diesel cap unscrewed... I immediately Freaked out and started trying to find threads and videos on what to do.

I started with draining the water separator below the truck, only got a little bit of clear liquid

Then I started to backtrack my steps and realized " how could I make that mistake if its obvious as hell" I tried the a dry def nozzle to see how I could have made that mistake. Then I thought, because the diesel cap cord gets stuck on the gas cap that maybe I just unscrewed it for some odd reason,,,, I even thought I remembered pouring it correctly...... Long story short I cranked it..... it started fine, I drove to the end of the driveway and stopped. Truck started to sputter and I let it roll back to a safe location.

I syphoned out the diesel from the tank and let the water separator drain out as well... then I unhooked the line from the fuel filter in the engine and drained that out as well. I drained everything that would come out, continuously priming the pump to release the fluid. The tank was dry and the fuel gauge showed ------ mileage

Today / 10/16/2020

I added new fuel filters and drained lines prior to and haven't been able to get it to turn over.

Checked a 20 amp and a 5 amp fuse and they looked fine, unscrewed and checked the seals on the fuel filters and added sea foam, and some other additives throughout the entire process. all were diesel rated injection cleaners of some sort.

Now I cant get the low pressure warning to go away and I still cant get it to crank

That's where I am at. If anyone has any other Ideas please let me know... I have changed the lift pump (took to a mechanic) at 75k - I am thinking it might be the same thing again.

oh, and I added 5 gallons of diesel and the gauge doesn't move. I guess that's because it hasn't moved? At the gas station I can see the dial move.
I did the same thing and I had to have my entire fuel system replaced from the injectors to the tank. 17000 dollars my insurance paid for it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts