Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!!! I have a 2016 Nissan Titan XD SV. I recently had the “DEF Error” pop up on the screen and i had two other mechanics diagnose a bad NOX sensor on the front of the exhaust. I then brought it to Nissan for a final diagnosis and an attempt to get it covered under warranty and it has been there for a few days and they just called and said that there is something wrong with the DEF and it looks gelled up. They want to continue with the inspection by charging me $800 for new fuel filters to continue their diagnoses. They say that is the only way to continue. Any ideas or help is appreciated.

·
1,614 Posts
Def is gelled up or your fuel? It was still running wasn't it? What is the temp where your at

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He said the DEF was gelled up. I’m in NYC so it as been cold but nothing crazy. And it’s running totally fine there was no other issues except that it had a bad NOX sensor

·
632 Posts
DEF doesn’t get gelled up. The residue of diesel does. DEF only gets crystalized, but only happens when it sees air. And even if the DEF get “gelled” up, it has nothing to do with replacing the filters, let alone it’s $800. What a steal...

·
27 Posts
Def will freeze. Usually the tanks have heaters in them not sure if Nissan does.
I've seen where nox sensor is bad not letting a Regen happen then the dpf goes bad. Good thing you are getting it checked out.

·
629 Posts
Are you sure they didn't tell you there was something wrong with the FUEL? If you put DEF in the diesel tank the urea will crystallize and fall out of solution creating a mess in the bottom of the tank that could seem to be a gel.

Or if you put diesel in the DEF tank, but I don't think you can do that without making a huge mess..

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No definitely not either, they just replaced a high pressure fuel pump about 200 miles ago and I’m not even sure if i filled up since then. And i definitely didn’t put DEF in since then. He specifically said there was something wrong with the DEF he didn’t do anything invasive without getting my permission to charge me. But I’m refusing to pay $800 for new filters so they can “inspect” something. The truck was running fine when i brought it there so i can’t imagine there being any other issue beside the NOX sensor

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m waiting for Nissan consumer affairs to get back to me with their response. As of right now the dealer is saying they cannot do anything more until i authorize the $800 for new filters

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
800 bucks can u find another dealer close by?? You can do it yourself for 1/8 th that or less

·
25 Posts
Sounds like they may be trying to hose you. DEF manufacturers use a very specific mixture so that when it freezes it doesn't "unmix". So if they left the truck inside a heated shop overnight, it ought to be plenty warm enough to ungel. Ask them to leave it inside and look at it when the DEF is liquid and filters will pump it, rather than charge $800.

If it is the diesel that is gelled, same routine - warm it up to get the diesel all liquid again, add a quality anti-gel additive (Stanadyne, power service etc) for less than $30 and the gel problem is fixed, then they can handle the original NOX sensor issue without raping you for $800.

·
1,614 Posts
Agreed. Wtf does fuel filters have to do with gelled def and a truck that is still running brooo

·
629 Posts
The fuel filters cost $60 on amazon... you can change them yourself in 15 minutes. It's absurd that they want $800 for ROUTINE MAINTENANCE that is done basically at every oil change.

Reactions: Mr_Gubbmint_Man

·
27 Posts
Anybody know what a new dpf costs? Wouldn't be $800 would it?
Just a miscommunication? Need to remember we are getting second or third hand info. I would be clarifying with the dealer what they are doing and why. Preferably with the mechanic not a shop manager.

I've seen fuel restrictions that cause lots of smoking and low power. Could possibly mess up or trigger a nox sensor. I would think that would trigger other codes too though. Anyway, more communication never hurts.

·
1 Posts
Hello everyone!!! I have a 2016 Nissan Titan XD SV. I recently had the “DEF Error” pop up on the screen and i had two other mechanics diagnose a bad NOX sensor on the front of the exhaust. I then brought it to Nissan for a final diagnosis and an attempt to get it covered under warranty and it has been there for a few days and they just called and said that there is something wrong with the DEF and it looks gelled up. They want to continue with the inspection by charging me $800 for new fuel filters to continue their diagnoses. They say that is the only way to continue. Any ideas or help is appreciated.
I had same problem took it in 4 time worst truck I ever owned

·
629 Posts
Anybody know what a new dpf costs? Wouldn't be $800 would it?
Just a miscommunication? Need to remember we are getting second or third hand info. I would be clarifying with the dealer what they are doing and why. Preferably with the mechanic not a shop manager.

I've seen fuel restrictions that cause lots of smoking and low power. Could possibly mess up or trigger a nox sensor. I would think that would trigger other codes too though. Anyway, more communication never hurts.
The DPF is approximately $3200.

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
UPDATE: i spoke to Nissan consumer affairs and they basically told me that they cannot do anything until the dealer makes an official diagnosis. I spoke more in detail with the dealer about the issue and he states that they found a “gel like substance” in the exhaust and because of that they want $800 to remove and inspect the fuel filters for fuel contamination. And at that point they will decide if it is covered under warranty (probably not) and what the actual issue is. But like i said, truck was running fine besides the DEF error on the dash. I’m not sure what to do at this point i am waiting for a call back from the service manager now

1 - 20 of 30 Posts