Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many miles are the new XDs getting on a tank of DEF. I keep getting conflicting reports from different sites and forums. Figured I'd ask some actual owners.

·
430 Posts
How many miles are the new XDs getting on a tank of DEF. I keep getting conflicting reports from different sites and forums. Figured I'd ask some actual owners.
there are a lot of variables when it comes to def usage, which I'm sure you're well aware of. The general consensus is that the def gauge goes from 100% to almost empty fairly quickly. it isn't a gradual or completely accurate representation of the actual DEF level. I carry a 2.5 gallon jug of super tech DEF (7.86$)

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I own 2 diesels, a 14 Ram 3500 and a 15 Ecodiesel. Empty driving i get about 8-10k miles per 4.5-5 gal of def. Just want to get a general consensus on the XD. I've heard people getting 1000-1200 miles to 3 gal in the XD. I k ow one I looked at was driven from South Georgia to north Alabama, about 400 miles and the def light came on. Total miles on the truck was around 750. The guy that fruit up said he topped it off before he left Georgia.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
I own 2 diesels, a 14 Ram 3500 and a 15 Ecodiesel. Empty driving i get about 8-10k miles per 4.5-5 gal of def. Just want to get a general consensus on the XD. I've heard people getting 1000-1200 miles to 3 gal in the XD. I k ow one I looked at was driven from South Georgia to north Alabama, about 400 miles and the def light came on. Total miles on the truck was around 750. The guy that fruit up said he topped it off before he left Georgia.
Ive lost a little track but at 30,000km pretty sure I'm on my 6th jug at the most. So I guess around 3000 miles a jug. That's over 5000km towing over 8000 lbs and another 2-3000km towing around 5000lbs

·
897 Posts
I have 12000 miles on mine and estimate I have gone through about 12 gallons. So I estimate about a gallon per 1000 miles for me. I do ALOT of trailer hauling and it seems to use more with a trailer in tow.

·
111 Posts
I put in 2.5 gallons at 1400 miles. Now I'm at 3k with a fair amount of towing and the gauge gas started to go down again... So I'm going to carry a jug with me on my next trip.

·
32 Posts
I use 2.5 gallon every 3k. I have been watching this carefully. This driving on hwy everyday 106miles. Then towing my Work and Play Rv every other weekend for 345miles. This should help you maybe.

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. This is definitely putting a general number on it. I love the truck just not the DEF and fuel mileage....

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
Thanks guys. This is definitely putting a general number on it. I love the truck just not the DEF and fuel mileage....
Fuel mileage is another area of debate for sure. My honest average for my every day driving 70% rural highway and 30% town is just shy of 20mpg including regen's.
But I look at fuelly, Edmunds long term and car & driver long term they are in the 15's. But then again alot aren't broken in properly too.

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When my Ecodiesel isn't in the shop I'm averaging about 22-23 city and 26-28 hwy. All of my previous Cummins, not stock by any means, averaged about 17-18 city and 24-25 hwy empty of course.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
When my Ecodiesel isn't in the shop I'm averaging about 22-23 city and 26-28 hwy. All of my previous Cummins, not stock by any means, averaged about 17-18 city and 24-25 hwy empty of course.
The titan won't get into ecodiesel territory. The 2000lbs of extra weight is a big reason for that. But does fine against any modern other def diesel. I know it's better then the 6.7 ford. As far as ram goes I only get to compare to a new 3500 dually. But it's not that much heavier even at that lol

Once deletes and more programing come available for the 5L I think it will definitely improve things.

·
291 Posts
I used a fair bit of def during breakin, but there's are signs of improvement as the miles pile on. Expect improvements from the aftermarket in the future. GDE made the ecodiesel come alive while addressing some issues like def consumption. If we keep the pressure on them hopefully they'll do something similar for us too.

Atc is right, it's not compatible to the ecodiesel by any stretch, nor was it intended to be. I was hesitant after test driving, but out of the 3 test drives I did, 2 went through soft regen's during the drive and the third showed close to actual. Now that I drive it regularity, I'm seeing as good as 9.5L/100km at 110-112kph on prairie highway. Unfortunately that initial impression can leave a bad taste, it did for me, but I looked beyond and did the research, and as far as I'm concerned, they nailed it.

Some heavy rams are seeing those mpg figures too, but price isn't in the Same ballpark of an equivalently trimmed truck. Yes'm I can buy a basic cummins 2500 SLT with bare bones interior for the same price, but it'll ride like a buckboard empty, has a loose front end (comparing sfa vs ifs) steering wise, has to be shutoff going through the drive through and isn't as easy to live with on a daily basis compared to a half ton. With this truck I'm able to drive it to the grocery store, don't shutter the windows when I start it to leave for work in the early am, can still hookup to the travel trailer with a bed full of quad and bikes, and still be legal. It's solid, it's capable, and it's easy to live with everyday. To me, that has value.

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My 14 3500 Laramie was 56k out the door and loaded with most everything. Ii is still mostly stock and I get in the low 20s mpg and not pulling about 8-10k miles for 5 gal of def. I just found a Laramie 2500 with ramboxes, like my Ecodiesel, for 53k plus tax tag...etc. I know the programming is there for the 6.7s I just wish they'd hurry up for the Titans! I love the ride and interior. I test drove two and they could barely pull their own weight. Only later I found they're programmed to be weak for break-in.

·
291 Posts
I'll be the first to admit, they don't leave good first impressions. I spat down on one after my first test drive. However, after hearing all the complaints about the ecodiesel (and waiting months for one to be built and then never was) I looked for alternatives. Wanting a diesel I turned to a 3/4 ton, but I couldn't money wise, and my wife wouldn't lifestyle wise, want to live with it everyday. Lots of people do, and that's great. It I just couldn't justify the extra expense. Luckily they have begun the rebate program and now are inline with domestics. No one is offering that level of warranty standard either. Add on yes, standard no.

To each his own, whatever you decide. Its a little bit of love hate relationship (still hate the looks, but love the drive once you learn it's tricks, there is no shortage of torque by any means) and a bit of faith, but I believe it's a superior truck to any halfton, at a reasonable cost that will easily outlast the payments. Good luck on your decision, but if you decide to go the XD way, you won't be disappointed.

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks. It's a tough decision but one I'm gonna be making sooner or later. My Ecodiesel is back in the shop. They have 26 days to have it fixed before I file for lemon law.

·
171 Posts
Thanks. It's a tough decision but one I'm gonna be making sooner or later. My Ecodiesel is back in the shop. They have 26 days to have it fixed before I file for lemon law.
I'm gonna be honest with you, if you're expecting the Titan to be any more reliable than the RAM you would be mistaken. What you say about your ED is the same thing I am saying about my XD, in fact I am further along than you in the lemon law process and won a judgement that says Nissan *must* fix the truck by 10/26.

So far I've used 3 jugs of DEF and have about 8000 miles so it's about 1.5gal per 1,000 miles; 80/20 hwy/city.

·
176 Posts
I'm sorry but you can't judge the reliability of an entire line of trucks based on one bad truck.. if that were true no one would buy anything..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I'm almost through the buyback with Chrysler on my Ecodiesel. I know these XD's aren't really in the same category of the eco but I've managed a deal on a 16 2500 Laramie cheaper out the door than the platinum XD. Only problem is it's an end of month deal and I'm still waiting for my money from Chrysler. Honestly may go with the XD if I can't keep the RAM deal next month. The Nissan dealer in Ft Walton Beach FL is offering a million mile warranty for free after the manufacturer warranty and seems to be legit with a $100 deductible. Still a tough decision, especially considering the dpf delete...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts