Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, please forgive me if this has been answered. What is everyone's thoughts on a delete and tune. I am getting sick of the DEF and my titan going into regen mode and killing my MPG's. It is a 2017 XD SV and its around 30K miles now and I got extended warranty on it. Let me know your thoughts.

·
441 Posts
There is a strong core group who advocate deleting the emissions equipment and retuning the motor and you will find no end of support for that.

While acknowledging that and also making it clear I too find the emissions equipment an annoying expense and an annoying maintenance issue I feel compelled to point out

1: The drop in fuel mileage is only temporary and is visually apparent during the regeneration cycle however if you keep track of your overall mileage across the vehicle operation including all the time it IS NOT in regen you will find the impact is far smaller than you might think (unless your driving habits are resulting in very frequent regens)

2: Regulatory agencies are getting far more aggressive about enforcing the laws against deleting emissions equipment, particularly in diesel motors

3: Despite arguments about the emissions it doesn't address, the systems do decrease the nasty stuff we are putting in to the air and having to breathe, and I'm all for better breathing

4: Emission reduction systems on light to midsized trucks are still working out some design problems, hey, they are mostly newly designed and they are having to stumble through the discovery process

5: If we don't comply with efforts to reduce our truck's emissions problems we may well lose them completely as a motor option (Note how California just passed new legislation that will nearly eliminate the possibility of most diesel trucks as we know them and many states continue to tighten the screws as well)

6: I do wish we had a bigger DEF tank, then again I often wish they had designed a bigger fuel tank into this truck as well (I have not found the aftermarket tanks to be a great fix although it can help)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
16 Posts
There is a strong core group who advocate deleting the emissions equipment and retuning the motor and you will find no end of support for that.

While acknowledging that and also making it clear I too find the emissions equipment an annoying expense and an annoying maintenance issue I feel compelled to point out

1: The drop in fuel mileage is only temporary and is visually apparent during the regeneration cycle however if you keep track of your overall mileage across the vehicle operation including all the time it IS NOT in regen you will find the impact is far smaller than you might think (unless your driving habits are resulting in very frequent regens)

2: Regulatory agencies are getting far more aggressive about enforcing the laws against deleting emissions equipment, particularly in diesel motors

3: Despite arguments about the emissions it doesn't address, the systems do decrease the nasty stuff we are putting in to the air and having to breathe, and I'm all for better breathing

4: Emission reduction systems on light to midsized trucks are still working out some design problems, hey, they are mostly newly designed and they are having to stumble through the discovery process

5: If we don't comply with efforts to reduce our truck's emissions problems we may well lose them completely as a motor option (Note how California just passed new legislation that will nearly eliminate the possibility of most diesel trucks as we know them and many states continue to tighten the screws as well)

6: I do wish we had a bigger DEF tank, then again I often wish they had designed a bigger fuel tank into this truck as well (I have not found the aftermarket tanks to be a great fix although it can help)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
The 2019 have a bigger DEF tank I hear. Have they worked all the bugs out of the 2019?

·
1,396 Posts
The 2019 have a bigger DEF tank I hear. Have they worked all the bugs out of the 2019?
Hell if you ask me they worked all the bugs out by 18. My 18 has been flawless. As for the def tank, I still don't see why everyone complains, i dont touch def fluid but once every few months

·
73 Posts
Towing with these trucks uses a lot of DEF. That’s my only gripe with the def tank size. Other than that, I don’t really notice it.

Also, I found that regens impact my fuel mileage by about 0.5 mpg overal. It’s relatively minimal.

·
1,396 Posts
I just towed 10k lb camper 1600 miles and only used around 2 gallons. Is that alot?

·
73 Posts
That’s about what I get for DEF usage if not a bit better. Seems bad because the tank is small and you’re constantly refilling, it seems... that’s all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts