Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 306 Posts

·
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Found out the hard way, guys.

If you have EZLynk and SOTF, DON'T run on Level 5.

I had only run it on #5 a couple of times. After each one, my engine sounds a whole lot harder with heavier diesel tick tick sounds. I remember I asked the question on here once and someone responded that the more the truck broken in, the harder the diesel sound you'll get.

Last weekend, I changed my oil to Shell T6 (and I don't think this is the problem). On Monday, as I was driving to work, I hear the sound as hard as I've been having. However, along the way, I see the oil light started to flicker, only for a couple of seconds. When I got to work, I checked on my oil level, it only shows 1/5 pass my lowest. Hence, I filled another quart, make it 11 qts of oil. On Tuesday, yesterday, out of the house for 5 miles, and BRAMMMM... The engine sounded like the excavator is shaking its scoop. Then the truck was limp mode, only able to move at 1 mph. I was able to pull in the Home Depot parking lot. As soon as I parked, the truck shut off. I waited about 10 minutes and tried to start it again. It was so loud and so much of cracking noise that I turned it off right away. Called for tow. Trust me, you don't want to hear that sound too long.

I had it towed home, undone my delete, and call the dealer for warranty work on the engine. Dealer sent a tow truck to tow to the dealer.

Have not heard back from the dealer yet. Crossing my fingers...

Attachments

·
869 Posts
Bet they dont cover it... doesnt matter that you returned it back to stock... they can still see how many times the ecu has been programmed etc. Sou ds like you'll be pocketing a new motor lol

·
1,324 Posts
Found out the hard way, guys.

If you have EZLynk and SOTF, DON'T run on Level 5.

I had only run it on #5 a couple of times. After each one, my engine sounds a whole lot harder with heavier diesel tick tick sounds. I remember I asked the question on here once and someone responded that the more the truck broken in, the harder the diesel sound you'll get.

Last weekend, I changed my oil to Shell T6 (and I don't think this is the problem). On Monday, as I was driving to work, I hear the sound as hard as I've been having. However, along the way, I see the oil light started to flicker, only for a couple of second. When I got to work, I checked on my oil level, it only shows 1/5 pass my lowest. Hence, I filled another quart, make it 11 qts of oil. On Tuesday, yesterday, out of the house for 5 miles, and BRAMMMM... The engine sounded like the excavator is shaking its scoop. Then the truck is limp mode, only able to move at 1 mph. I was able to pull in the Home Depot parking lot. As soon as I parked, the truck shut off. I waited about 10 minutes and tried to start it again. It was so loud and so much of cracking noise that I turned it off right away. Called for tow. Trust me, you don't want to hear that sound too long.

I had it towed home, undone my delete, and call the dealer for warranty work on the engine. Dealer sent a tow truck to tow to the dealer.

Have not heard back from the dealer yet. Crossing my fingers...
Hear that. It aint your oil.
I run tune 3 regular. I use five at only half throttle or less when i want to coal roal a buddy for 10 seconds.

Did it make noise during tune 5?
Day one r week after?
How long did you drive on that tune?
Was it full throttle?

Keep us updated. Wish you the best.

·
188 Posts
Lol there's a ton of us daily driving on 5

Sucks your motor broke but it happens all the time to stock trucks as well. Luck of the draw.

I hope they cover it for you

·
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hear that. It aint your oil.
I run tune 3 regular. I use five at only half throttle or less when i want to coal roal a buddy for 10 seconds.

Did it make noise during tune 5?
Day one r week after?
How long did you drive on that tune?
Was it full throttle?

Keep us updated. Wish you the best.
Originally, not a whole lot of different noise beside the diesel sound. And it didn’t happen either day one or week later. It only started to sound weird after the trip home, which I ran on tune 5 for like 5 minutes. I can’t recall but I probably ran full throttle for a good 2-3 minutes.

·
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What tunes do you have OP? Seems like that is a common theme with the few deleted ones I’ve heard about.
I have HPP 1.9.4

·
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dealer called me today said that they started the truck but it was too loud that they turned it off right away. They also said that this is not a simple problem and they will run a full diagnostic on it and it could take days. They took the drive belt off to see if it “internal” or “external” and the noise is still there. They will call back and let me know the status by the weekend.

·
1,324 Posts
Originally, not a whole lot of different noise beside the diesel sound. And it didn’t happen either day one or week later. It only started to sound weird after the trip home, which I ran on tune 5 for like 5 minutes. I can’t recall but I probably ran full throttle for a good 2-3 minutes.
“Full” as in full?
“Minutes as in for minutes”?

Correct me if im hearing that wrong but at full throttle for 2 minutes should get you to top vehicle speed and redline for over a minute worth of drive time?

·
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
“Full” as in full?
“Minutes as in for minutes”?

Correct me if im hearing that wrong but at full throttle for 2 minutes should get you to top vehicle speed and redline for over a minute worth of drive time?
Well, then it wasn’t full and wasn’t 2 minutes. I was at just about 90mph for maybe 30 seconds. Then back to tune 3, which is what I use daily.

·
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What tunes do you have OP? Seems like that is a common theme with the few deleted ones I’ve heard about.
Also, another point being: if tune 5 gains you 120 HP, what would it help if it breaks your motor? :unsure::unsure::unsure:

If so, tune 1 -> 3 would be the best bet.

·
885 Posts
Some people pay extra on vehicle insurance for full warranty covering what the mfg warranty doesn't. Mine goes to 7 years after purchasing it new. It's not an extended warranty per say. I hope you have it because the insurance company will fix it regardless if it has a tune. I have GEICO ins on the trk for that reason.

·
1,108 Posts
I’m still on edge about what the actual problem is. Set the tune aside for now and let’s wait and see what the failure is.

1 - 20 of 306 Posts