Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my new Diamond Back bed cover installed last night. Not sure if I'm the first they've sold for the Titan XD, but they got the dimensions right. Getting the clamps and latch to work at the front of the bed is a bit tricky as they are supposed to fit into the utilitrack, but it's not in the right place to work easily. I'll be picking up a few unistrut pieces to fix it. I plan to let the Diamond Back guys know once I settle on a solution in case they want to include it with the package going forward.

Overall I'm really satisfied with the appearance and function.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, I've got some stainless steel unistrut (without holes) that I'll be installing along the top of the Diamond Back to allow the utilitrack cleats and other stuff to clip into. I'll post pictures once complete.

·
66 Posts
That looks better than I could imagine. I'm looking hard now, between the DiamondBack or the BakFlip. Your Pic has really swayed me towards the DiBack. I really believe it is the closest thing to being 99.9% waterproof and tamper-proof. Much appreciation for the Pics.

·
165 Posts
This does look really nice. Gotta love the durability and the fit and finish. Pretty cool of you to offer your solutions to the guys as well !

·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've taken it through the car wash a number of times and the inside has stayed dry. Once you see the way it is constructed, you will find that it is almost impossible for water to come in on the hinge side of the doors. Then the parts that sit on the bed rails is just 1" wide weatherstrip that seems to do a good job.

·
154 Posts
i this is the first diamondback i seen that wasn't chrome. which leads me to say this is the first diamondback cover that actually appeals to me. that looks really clean and sturdy.

·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In case folks find it helpful, I've attached some pictures of what I ended up doing with unistrut pieces.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
I'm setup with diamond back. Once we get our store properly setup we plan on stocking a few as they store nice and don't take too much space. I haven’t pulled the trigger because I want the hd, but they are mainly for atv's and I need for sleds too.

·
42 Posts
Hello All,

I am new to the forum and a pride owner of a new 2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X. I was searching for any info on the Diamondback cover and came across this thread. I had a Diamondback cover on my previous Chevy truck and loved it so looking at purchasing it for my new Titan. I just want to know if anyone who has the Diamondback cover can confirm if this cover works with the utilitrac and Titan boxes without any modifications. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

·
62 Posts
Hello All,

I am new to the forum and a pride owner of a new 2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X. I was searching for any info on the Diamondback cover and came across this thread. I had a Diamondback cover on my previous Chevy truck and loved it so looking at purchasing it for my new Titan. I just want to know if anyone who has the Diamondback cover can confirm if this cover works with the utilitrac and Titan boxes without any modifications. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
I had the hd on my last truck too. I t was the best cover I ever owned. I loved that I can keep my tools locked up and strap material to the cover.

I think the pictures above answer your question.

·
42 Posts
I had the hd on my last truck too. I t was the best cover I ever owned. I loved that I can keep my tools locked up and strap material to the cover.

Hello Stiffler,

It appears it should work but the pics don't show the Titan boxes. I actually contacted Diamondback and they say no issues with the Titan boxes and utilitrac but it would be great if you or someone on the forum could confirm this. After researching tonneau covers on this forum, it seems there are very few covers that will work with both Titan boxes and utilitrac without at least modifying the utilitrac.

Reactions: Rome

·
304 Posts
Hello Stiffler,

It appears it should work but the pics don't show the Titan boxes. I actually contacted Diamondback and they say no issues with the Titan boxes and utilitrac but it would be great if you or someone on the forum could confirm this. After researching tonneau covers on this forum, it seems there are very few covers that will work with both Titan boxes and utilitrac without at least modifying the utilitrac.
MITitan-- Hi from Virginia.. I have a black 270 cover (like dmcgaugh in the pictures) that just came in this week that I'm installing this weekend. I too spent some time on the phone/email with the Diamondback to double check that the fit with the utilitrack--without the mods dmcgaugh had to do!...holy cow he did nice work, but that was too much work!)

Anyway, they assure me that they had the right sizes of clamps to fit the track and adjuster brackets for the lock rods that had enough travel for the rod to work with the utilitrack. They said they must have sent him the wrong brackets. So, we shall see. I have an SL with no boxes, but i can send some pictures when done the show the fit and you can gauge the box clearance (or not)...

·
62 Posts

Hello Stiffler,

I don't have the cover yet, so I can't say for sure. When I order mine, I will most likely sell the boxes and get some of the boxes diamondback offers. I would think they would be a real PITA to get into with cover on

·
42 Posts
MITitan-- Hi from Virginia.. I have a black 270 cover (like dmcgaugh in the pictures) that just came in this week that I'm installing this weekend. I too spent some time on the phone/email with the Diamondback to double check that the fit with the utilitrack--without the mods dmcgaugh had to do!...holy cow he did nice work, but that was too much work!)

Anyway, they assure me that they had the right sizes of clamps to fit the track and adjuster brackets for the lock rods that had enough travel for the rod to work with the utilitrack. They said they must have sent him the wrong brackets. So, we shall see. I have an SL with no boxes, but i can send some pictures when done the show the fit and you can gauge the box clearance (or not)...

Thanks Vann5. Would appreciate some pics.

·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hello All,

Not sure about the Titan boxes since I don't have them, but the diamondback brackets are meant to clamp into the utilitrack. Since I posted the pictures, I've altered how the cover attaches slightly with some unistrut brackets and stainless steel bolts. I'd take pictures and post them but I'm out of town right now.

Both before and after my changes, the utilitrack is clear except for where the brackets for the cover mount in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
304 Posts
Installed the 270 cover today. The lock rods indeed do slide/fit into the Utilitrack without modification. It is tight on the utiliirack in the front of the bed. The bracket is at the end of its travel, but it does just work.

The cover looks great on the truck and the function of the doors/lock rods etc is very nice. The only thing I'm not real happy about is the clamp that hold the "T' section to the truck itself. If I slide them completely into the utilitrack channel, they are cocked at a big angle--which throws the bite on the top part (cover) off. All of this should site flat/flush in my mind. The section with "teeth" to grip the truck is really too long to sit comfortably in the channel. The bracket needs a slight redesign for these trucks. Right now it is grabbing the rail edge. I'm not going to be carry anything on top, but this is not the best way to do this even thought they are getting a good "bite" on the track--I don't think it is going anywhere, but the it should seat inside the track. I'm going to contact them about this and see what they can do.

MITitan--it does look nice with the white trucks....

Attachments

·
42 Posts
Installed the 270 cover today. The lock rods indeed do slide/fit into the Utilitrack without modification. It is tight on the utiliirack in the front of the bed. The bracket is at the end of its travel, but it does just work.

The cover looks great on the truck and the function of the doors/lock rods etc is very nice. The only thing I'm not real happy about is the clamp that hold the "T' section to the truck itself. If I slide them completely into the utilitrack channel, they are cocked at a big angle--which throws the bite on the top part (cover) off. All of this should site flat/flush in my mind. The section with "teeth" to grip the truck is really too long to sit comfortably in the channel. The bracket needs a slight redesign for these trucks. Right now it is grabbing the rail edge. I'm not going to be carry anything on top, but this is not the best way to do this even thought they are getting a good "bite" on the track--I don't think it is going anywhere, but the it should seat inside the track. I'm going to contact them about this and see what they can do.

MITitan--it does look nice with the white trucks....

I see what you are saying about the clamps. I would have thought those clamps would have went more inside the utilitrack channel. They may have used a carryover clamp from some other product line to save themselves some money. It does seem though from your pics and dmcgaugh pics that the Titan boxes should have no issues opening and closing. The tonneau cover looks great with your white truck. I am definitely going to get the line-x coated cover now even the way the clamps are currently. Where did you purchase the Diamondback cover from?

·
42 Posts
Is this really 400lbs? That's a hefty chunk of reduced payload if that is the weight.
I thought I read on the Diamondback cover website that the HD cover is 105 lbs. Not sure about the 270 but I don't think it would be much more than the HD cover.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts