Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
42 Posts
Ok that is better, thought I had seen a crazy heavy weight on them.
I just checked the website. Total cover weight is 90 lbs but it can support 400 lbs on top of the cover.

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The clamps don't work well at all, that's why I did away with them and used some other brackets. Hard to explain without pictures though. Will probably be another week before I can post them.

A picture I do happen to have on my phone is a custom bike rack mount that I made. I have stainless steel unistrut running along the sides that it fastens into. This means I can use the utilitrack cleats along the side too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
351 Posts
The clamps don't work well at all, that's why I did away with them and used some other brackets. Hard to explain without pictures though. Will probably be another week before I can post them.

A picture I do happen to have on my phone is a custom bike rack mount that I made. I have stainless steel unistrut running along the sides that it fastens into. This means I can use the utilitrack cleats along the side too.

dmcgaugh: VERY NICE work!! Where do you get the unitstrut pieces?! The clamps need rework for d___sure, but will hold I believe for my uses, though I will check with them.

MITitan, I got my 270 cover directly from Diamondback...same price there as dealers it seems. Be aware the 270 is NOT drilled for cleats like the 180 model or the others. Clean look if you like it, but be aware, no cleats on this model. Makes it ready to customize as dmcgaugh has done with his obviously skilled metal working skills.

·
42 Posts
Those unistrut pieces seem to be very handy to use on these Diamondback covers from what dmcgaugh has done so far. I actually was going to get the HD cover but still thinking. That is what I had on my last truck and used it to carry a couple quads. I actually got rid of my quad since I own a UTV now but my wife still kept her quad. Now we haul them in a enclosed trailer so it's not necessary for me to have the HD cover. I just like the fact that you can haul 1500 lbs on top of the cover if you needed to as long as I dont trailer anything. I do like the 270 cover as well. I have been pondering all weekend which one I should buy.

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
dmcgaugh: VERY NICE work!! Where do you get the unitstrut pieces?! The clamps need rework for d___sure, but will hold I believe for my uses, though I will check with them.

MITitan, I got my 270 cover directly from Diamondback...same price there as dealers it seems. Be aware the 270 is NOT drilled for cleats like the 180 model or the others. Clean look if you like it, but be aware, no cleats on this model. Makes it ready to customize as dmcgaugh has done with his obviously skilled metal working skills.

I got the unistrut from Ebel Iron Works online (ebeliron.com). I ordered it without holes so I could put the holes where I wanted. I also buffed it out with polish so it would look nicer. In retrospect, I probably could have gone with aluminum unistrut (they sell that too) to save a bit of weight. I ended up replacing the 80 lb. gas springs with 106 lb. springs to offset the weight of the rack and unistrut. I contacted SUSPA to get part numbers for various options.

C16-06889: 97lbs.
C16-06756: 106lbs.
C16-11253: 135lbs.

·
12 Posts
Very nice cover...think I just found the one I want. To the OP. I see that the center beam is higher towards the front, making the front panel seem higher than the rear one. Is it seated properly or is this an optical illusion? Could it be bc you had a problem with the clamps?

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Very nice cover...think I just found the one I want. To the OP. I see that the center beam is higher towards the front, making the front panel seem higher than the rear one. Is it seated properly or is this an optical illusion? Could it be bc you had a problem with the clamps?

Good eye. It is (was) actually higher toward the front but only on the driver's side as if it were twisted in shipping or when it was welded perhaps. With the clamps that shipped with it, I never could get it to flatten out (cranking down on the high side would just make the low side compress the weather strip more). When I did away with the original clamps and bolted the cover into unistrut L brackets that I mounted in the utilitrack, I was able to put a stop nut on the low side and crank down on the high side to flatten it out.

How it looks now:

·
42 Posts
dmcgaugh,

Can you show a few pics of the latest update to your attachments with the unistrut stuff? I got my Diamondback cover on order and will probably use the unistrut stuff if the brackets I get are not satisfactory to me. Be great to know exactly what unistrut brackets you used too.

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
dmcgaugh,

Can you show a few pics of the latest update to your attachments with the unistrut stuff? I got my Diamondback cover on order and will probably use the unistrut stuff if the brackets I get are not satisfactory to me. Be great to know exactly what unistrut brackets you used too.

Sure, see picks below. Note that the front bolts do not go through a weather exposed part of the cover. The bolts in the center cross beam are actually in the gutters, so I used stainless steel bolts, jumbo fender washers, rubber washers, and Sikaflex 221 sealant. I thought twice about putting the bolts through the gutter, but the idea of the secure mount won me over. Plus, is you know anything about sealants, I have every confidence that the Sikaflex will be there forever.

·
351 Posts
Sure, see picks below. Note that the front bolts do not go through a weather exposed part of the cover. The bolts in the center cross beam are actually in the gutters, so I used stainless steel bolts, jumbo fender washers, rubber washers, and Sikaflex 221 sealant. I thought twice about putting the bolts through the gutter, but the idea of the secure mount won me over. Plus, is you know anything about sealants, I have every confidence that the Sikaflex will be there forever.

dmcgaugh: This is a nice solution...can't imagine there would be any leaks! Secure too...those darn clamps still bother me. Is that just angle iron on the L brackets or is that a part you got from Eberl along with the unistrut aluminum pieces? This seems like a pretty easy solution....fast on and off if needed and rock solid secure.

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
dmcgaugh: This is a nice solution...can't imagine there would be any leaks! Secure too...those darn clamps still bother me. Is that just angle iron on the L brackets or is that a part you got from Eberl along with the unistrut aluminum pieces? This seems like a pretty easy solution....fast on and off if needed and rock solid secure.

The L brackets are stock run of the mill unistrut L brackets you can get from Home Depot. They are zinc plated with 1/2" holes, about 3/16" thick with one side of the L slightly longer than the other.

I had the exact same problem with the clamps. With them stuck at an angle, I just couldn't get them to bite.

·
42 Posts
Well I got my Diamondback HD cover with Line-X coating and installed it yesterday. Cover looks great on the truck. Definitely the most stout and secure cover on the market. I did have the same problem with the clamps not fitting right like previously mentioned by Vann5 and dmcgaugh. I ended up contacting Diamondback support about the clamp issue by email and they responded back quickly. I found out that I was not installing the clamp correctly according to Diamondback support. Their installation document needs some improvement about this particular step. The upper jaw of the clamp appeared too long (3") like Vann5 mentioned. The upper jaw of the clamp rest inside the pocket of the center panel. There is actually a step inside this pocket. The upper jaw of the clamp is suppose to rest on the upper step not the lower step in the pocket of the center panel according to Mike from Diamondback support. This allows the lower jaw of the clamp to be completely inside the utili track channel. I did what he said and it does hold the center panel firmly but the clamps are crooked and you can tell that the clamp feet are not really parallel to the mating surface. I think the problem is the upper jaw is clamping too far off from where the lower jaw is clamping so it makes the clamp position crooked as you tighten the bolt. I plan to contact them again about this. Also, If you have Titan boxes, you need to open them if you want to use a ratchet and socket. I used a ratcheting wrench and it worked fine.Other than that the install went great. My Titan boxes open and close without any problem. To access the push button lock on the Titan box, you do need to open the section of tonneau cover closest to the cab first.

Attachments

Reactions: Vann5 and dmcgaugh

·
19 Posts
Bringing this back from the dead.

Those of you that have this cover, how are you liking it after using it for a while? How is it holding up? Would you get it again? I also have the titan boxes. Is it a pain to access them with the Diamondback?

I am torn between the black and aluminum finishes. I like the black, cause I think it would match the truck better (Blue SL) but the truck does have a bunch of shiny chrome bits, so the aluminum finish would probably fit in ok too. Plus I think the aluminum would hold up better than the black. Anyone have any input on that?

Also, I would need to carry a dirt bike, or three, on the cover on some rare occasions. Anyone have any experience doing that? How do you think the tie-down cleats would hold up? ATV's are a little more stable than a dirt bike. Bikes seem to bounce side to side more, and can actually put more load on the tie down points.

·
42 Posts

Those of you that have this cover, how are you liking it after using it for a while? How is it holding up? Would you get it again? I also have the titan boxes. Is it a pain to access them with the Diamondback?

I am torn between the black and aluminum finishes. I like the black, cause I think it would match the truck better (Blue SL) but the truck does have a bunch of shiny chrome bits, so the aluminum finish would probably fit in ok too. Plus I think the aluminum would hold up better than the black. Anyone have any input on that?

Also, I would need to carry a dirt bike, or three, on the cover on some rare occasions. Anyone have any experience doing that? How do you think the tie-down cleats would hold up? ATV's are a little more stable than a dirt bike. Bikes seem to bounce side to side more, and can actually put more load on the tie down points.

I have no issues with my HD cover and don't regret the purchase one bit. I was a previous owner of an HD cover with the ATV kit on my 2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD. The pleasant experience I had with my Silverado encourage me to get it again on my 2017 Titan XD Pro-4X. The titan boxes open and close without any problem and I have easy access to get to anything I need. At the time I got my HD cover on my Silverado, there was no line-X option. The bright aluminum finish is nice but it will dull in 2 years and keeping it shiny is very high maintenance. I would highly recommend you get the black Line-X option. It will stay new looking longer than the bright aluminum finish unless you intend to polish that cover every year. The ATV kit I had on my Silverado 2500HD which was a short bed worked great. I could load 2 quads side by side. I attached a picture of it. I didn't get the ATV kit for my Titan only because I have a Can Am Maverick now and sold the quad. The tie down cleats held up very well holding my quads. Diamondback covers are the most secure cover you can buy.

Attachments

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #37

I’m still a fan of mine. Like you, I considered the shiny aluminum as well because I’ve never been one to shy away from chrome, polished stainless/aluminum. But when I was trying to make the decision, a buddy of mine asked “do you really want your truck to look like a contractor’s truck?”. My initial answer was “maybe”, some contractor’s trucks look cool. But that was enough to make me think I wanted something a bit more finished looking so went with the black. I’ve even thought about taking my bike rack crossbars off and powered coat them, but am too lazy and cheap.

I’m still a fan of the 270 configuration too. If I had the choice I would get a 270 HD, but the don’t make one. I don’t haul anything other than the bikes on top, but I’d just like the reassurance of a bit more weight carrying capacity when someone stands on top.

·
19 Posts
Well, I went and ordered the HD cover in Black. There was a $200 discount that helped me make up my mind. I think the estimated shipping date is May 7th. I plan some sort of rack on it that will hold 5+ mountain bikes. I like the Brocraft brackets, but I think I am going to try to keep my hardware all black. 8020.net has some black anodized extrusion and assembly plates that should fit the bill nicely. I may have to add a 45° bend to a couple, but we have a large brake press at work that I can use.

Thanks for the info everyone!

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Well, I went and ordered the HD cover in Black. There was a $200 discount that helped me make up my mind. I think the estimated shipping date is May 7th. I plan some sort of rack on it that will hold 5+ mountain bikes. I like the Brocraft brackets, but I think I am going to try to keep my hardware all black. 8020.net has some black anodized extrusion and assembly plates that should fit the bill nicely. I may have to add a 45° bend to a couple, but we have a large brake press at work that I can use.

Thanks for the info everyone!

The Brocraft brackets were something I literally just stumbled upon when looking for a 45 degree bracket on Amazon. They were originally intended to fit into a smaller channel, but I drilled out the holes to accommodate the 3/8” unistrut bolts. I was able to reuse the threaded metric holes that mate with the crossbars I had made. Finding the brackets (or any bracket) were really what made everything else come together.

Nice thing about the Diamondback cover is that it’s so solid you can pretty much do anything you want with it, just a matter of figuring out the most attractive versatile mount.

Benefit of not having the 270 is that you can do a similar mount on the front as well as the back.

·
9 Posts
I'm considering one of these for my PR xd. I'm assuming you folks are still liking it. Do you know if they have fixed the clamp issues yet?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 47 Posts