Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

Did Nissan failed this time with Titan XD?

9K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  slurpee3 
#1 ·
Here is what XD owners have reported so far:

Door lock not working
Driver’s seat heat and cool issues
Drone noise at 65-75 MPH
Throttle body malfunction
Getting Fuel smell in Cab
Blue fluid from front right tire area
Burnt smell
Radio reception am/fm poor platinum reserve 2016
Takes forever to start then dies
Cold weather heater issues
Parking Brake Won’t Hold Adjustment
Power steering loud
DEF warning in error
Fuel smell in cab DCB
Torque management almost killed me
Titan XD Fuel Tank Breather Tube Recall
Engine deceleration then acceleration hesitation
Low fuel pressure warning came on
Loud single clang with some cold starts
Steering Wheel and Seat Heaters Duty Cycle
Transmission won't shift above 4th till I reach 40 mph
AT Error
Alignment issues
2016 XD 5.6L Idle Fluctuating While Cruising
Cruise Control Issues
Cummins Engine torque fluctuation issues
Front end noise
Electrical discharge
Engine Noise
Transmission control unit failure
Bad egr??
Windshield wiper light flashes when braking.
Radio cuts out intermittently
TitanXD Loose Seats (Recall/TSB Likely)
Titan Problems
False regens
Bad factory alignment
Pro4x 5.6L The transmission in the for service @ 2600 miles
Titan XD Transmission Issues
Engine Vibration - at the dealer for 8 weeks
New truck- steering wheel memory problem
Cab to Bed Alignment
Delayed 3-4 shift when trans cold
Steering Column and A pillar
Oil Leak
Engine Vibration - at the dealer for 6 weeks
Rattles and Squeaks Pro4X, and how to fix them.
Shutter while Driving
Transmission/Engine Issues
Diesel Owner’s Manual Problems
Tail gate handle issues anyone
Titan 5.0, terrible cold start

See less See more
#2 ·
To few trucks on here to really make a accurate judgement. You would have to see Nissan's official warranty repair logs to make strong case. Most of those things are the same but Nissan definitely could of gotten the dealers better prepared.
This is one reason why going to the outside for a motor can become a complex mess.

#4 ·
No, they didn't, at least not yet. We won't know if Nissan failed on the XD until probably 2018 or later.

You list about 42 items here. They're not all separate issues. A good number of them fall into the same issue (just multiple threads started by different people or the same problem exhibiting itself a little differently). Some others I've read through the posts and are not issues, but preferences such as the issue I expressed questioning whether my seat heaters are as hot as I'd want them to be. I also had my infotainment center restart on me a couple times in 2-3 weeks, but came right back. Not exactly an issue where I would give Nissan a fail on the XD.

There are some legit issues listed here, but many of them are also just expressed by one or two people and not common issues. You're pretty focused on trying to highlight how many "issues" the XD has, when you've expressed experiencing only two, alignment and firm shifting transmission. If you really feel the XD is a fail up to this point, then I'd encourage you to cut your losses and move on. I mean that as nicely as possible. But before running back to that RAM 1500 that we've already established had problems that you didn't even know about, you might want to jump on their forum. The XD has been in production for almost exactly a year now with a few common issues and some expected manufacturing issues that any new platform would experience. The RAM has been in production for what, 2-3 years now. Their list is LONG, as is GM and Ford's. Guess you may be SOL when looking for that problem free replacement vehicle.

#6 ·
I went 0 for 5 as in none of the vehicles I test drove had any issue other than the common recall fixes of the fuel tank and tranny. Don't know when you drove the vehicle with the grinding noise, but there was a turbo recall to fix vehicles exhibiting this issue.

#8 ·
Nope, not a fail. Just a few problems, most pretty minor. I have a handful of them, but it starts and does it's job every day.

Go read all the ecoboost engine troubles, or ecodiesel engine problems/trans shelling.

The most reliable 1/2 ton drive trains are the "old school" Chevy 5.3, ford 5.0, and dodge hemi.

#16 ·
You guys can't keep on dismissing these major issues and saying "well, the domestic trucks have been far worse".
I have been on the F-150 forums for years and of the THOUSANDS of active ecoboost forum users, I have only come across a few that had intercooler issues. Compare that to how many turbos have been replaced with just a handful of active XD users.
That being said, I notice that over half of the issues listed relate to the XD diesel and a good chunk more from higher trims. Here is another rescent list:
http://www.titanxdforum.com/#/topics/21345?page=1&_k=2gfwbd

If you are set on an XD, do yourself a favor and get it with the gas engine in SV or pro4x trim. It should be mostly trouble free.

#9 ·
You always have tried and tried to go down this path of the XD being such a lousy truck. A simple check of all posts originating from you clearly have laden negativity towards the XD. You do it tactfully I must admit and many that are new and haven't been following up always bite onto your rather doom and gloom commentary on the **** truck!

#13 ·
This is my first diesel truck. Even though I have had a couple of issues on my XD that we are still working through, I love it! Hands down, it is the best truck I have ever owned. It will take some time to iron out the issues. I knew this was possible when I purchased it - after all, it's new.

I've had a couple of trucks before this Titan, including a loaded 2014 Pro-4X.

IMHO, this one is the best!

#14 ·
Some more reported problems from another owner:

Tailgate not unlocking.
Tailgate cap lose.
Door seals are uneven. The seal is below the gap in some places, bulging out of the gap in some, and flush in others.
Wind noise on passenger side at highway speeds. May be related to the seals mentioned above.
When cold the transmission seems to shift late and has an RPM flare between 2 and 3, sometimes 3 and 4.
Will sometimes hesitate to accelerate after decelerating or coasting. Very noticeable when say slowing to a red light but the light turns green before you stop. Apply light to mid throttle and the truck will stumble or sometimes double shift very hard. There is one intersection I avoid now that is at the top of a hill in two directions. If I have to stop or slow down and then take off on either side of the hill it feels like the truck is coming apart for about 2 seconds.
Driver's heated seat sometimes doesn't get hot or takes a very long time to do so if it does. All others work fine.
Seat back not warming at all. Not sure if its supposed to but they did in all my other trucks.
Occasional squeaks from front end when turning sharply.
Occasional scraping from front end when turning on uneven terrain. Stock Pro 4X suspension, rims, and tires. Factory splash guards installed by dealer.
Steering gets very "tight" when turning at low speed after slowing from high speed. One place I always notice it is on a particular exit ramp where I coast from 70+ mph down to about 35 mph right before a long inclined hard right curve to get on top of the overpass. As the curve sharpens the steering wheel gets harder to turn and then goes back to normal. Almost like a loss of pressure due to lower RPMs but stil shouldn't happen I don't think. Its also happened to me at lower speeds in town turning into parking lots but I can't reliably reproduce it other than that exit ramp.
Strong regen smell in cab during stop and go traffic when not using recirculate. I've driven and owned other DPF equipped trucks and this is the first where I can smell it when the windows are rolled up. If it were normal diesel exhaust I wouldn't mind as much but that regen exhaust is terrible.

#18 ·
My issue with all of this isn't the denial of some issues (there are obviously some), but more the expectation that someone should expect ZERO issues on a brand new platform and therefore it's appropriate to point to examples from other manufacturers. I just logged on to the ecoboost forum, I'm sure you'll agree they have plenty of issues which is to be expected given the number of vehicles they have on the road.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.