Nissan Titan XD Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having my engine replaced by dealer and they're having trouble communicating with computer telling me I need a new ecu. It's showing hard codes like glow plugs, turbo charger, cooling fan, high pressure pump etc. They clear them and then come right back. These are all new parts that have been replaced and just wondering if anybody has had engine replaced and had similar issue with ecu or could it be something they're missing.

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
923 Posts
I had a similar issue when I installed a a different bin to my truck. Now it seemed to go away when I put a known good bin on. The ecm does store some values that don’t get charged normally on a flash. The ecm has a lot going on in it and I’ve only scratched the surface.

It doesn’t sound like your ecm is the problem, but the program. Also, there are different calibrations available depending on the ecm part number.

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So in order to get the correct program it would need to be flashed but the dealer telling me that they can't reflash it, they can only load in to new ecm from Nissan. That doesn't make sense to me. I figured they could load whatever they want on it.

·
923 Posts
So in order to get the correct program it would need to be flashed but the dealer telling me that they can't reflash it, they can only load in to new ecm from Nissan. That doesn't make sense to me. I figured they could load whatever they want on it.
Please don’t take me as an authority, but there seems to be some things I don’t really understand.

Nissan uses an obd scan tool called Consult 3. I don’t know how consult communicates with the cummins ecm, but I do know that the ecm configuration is set in such a way that Cummins tools are denied permission to communicate with the ecm. I know that a factory xcal is installed with consult, but I don’t know what the level of tool interface really exists.

I bought a binary file for my truck that came with a map pack so I could tune my truck myself. When I installed that bin, it did not recognize any of the components and threw codes basically like yours. Fuel injectors not recoginized, glow plug controller wrong software version, fuel pump, oil pressure sensors, a whole host of things. The other binary I had didn’t have that problem.

Turns out the binary I bought was pulled directly from a truck and saved a bunch of parameters from the old engine, injector calibrations, serial numbers, mileage, ect. So those numbers would not have matched my engine when I installed it.

My best guess is that however your ecm was flashed it was not told to reset and relearn all the components of the engine, so it sees an engine it doesn’t recognize. That’s my best guess, but I’m by no means an authority.

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm following what you're saying it all makes sense but I guess it seems like dealership doesn't want to or know how to relearn to the new engine components and they just want to start from scratch with new ecm. Frustrating because you would think they would be able to relearn it. Is this normal to just get new ecm and start over?

·
923 Posts
I'm following what you're saying it all makes sense but I guess it seems like dealership doesn't want to or know how to relearn to the new engine components and they just want to start from scratch with new ecm. Frustrating because you would think they would be able to relearn it. Is this normal to just get new ecm and start over?
I don't believe it is normal to replace something that can be reprogrammed. I really can't say, but it wouldn't make sense. Especially since we have the ability to flash them. I mean you can buy the newest ecm program directly from nissan parts. That's how I got my xcal.

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update. I went to dealership this morning and loaded aftermarket tune on ecm and several of the codes went away. I then loaded the stock tune back to it and the same codes from the aftermarket tune were still there. So now it went from 7 codes to 3 codes now and the DEF system isn't blinking anymore. Dealer is still puzzled and don't know what direction to go. They are getting a used ECM tomorrow and trying it to see if fixes the raining codes. But this makes me think the ecm isn't the issue. These are the codes Sky Font Screenshot Gadget Operating system

·
923 Posts
Update. I went to dealership this morning and loaded aftermarket tune on ecm and several of the codes went away. I then loaded the stock tune back to it and the same codes from the aftermarket tune were still there. So now it went from 7 codes to 3 codes now and the DEF system isn't blinking anymore. Dealer is still puzzled and don't know what direction to go. They are getting a used ECM tomorrow and trying it to see if fixes the raining codes. But this makes me think the ecm isn't the issue. These are the codes View attachment 47500
So that is a bit of a problem I encountered and I hope it doesn't come back to bite me.

Our Ez Lynks communicate with the Cummins ecm over the canbus. The thing is, that internally obd2 codes are not used. Cummins has their own fault numbers that they use, those are translated to dtcs. Our engine might be automotive but the ecm design is still very heavily influenced by the industrial side.

When you flash the ecm, not everything is removed. There is a way to do that, I don't know how or what's needed. The important point is that the ecm stores a fault table that it has experienced. This data, along with injector calibrations, serial numbers, etc stays on the ecm. I'm not sure why it would still throw those codes. I'm assuming you cleared them and they came back?

The bin I was given is a fresh clean bin, just as the xcals are. Supposedly the ez lynk is capable of installing the xcals, but I've been too nervous to actually try it because I can't afford to brick my ecm.

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did clear the codes and they come right back. Turned ignition on and off a few times too. The tech hasn't assigned the injectors or anything yet so maybe that clears a code or 2 but at this point they want to replace the ecm anyways so they can narrow down the problem so if I brick this ecm I guess it wouldn't be the worst thing. I need to look into ezlynk installing the xcals and see if I have any luck. Why they cant load new program on there is beyond me they said i can do more with it with my ezlynk then they can. I'm going on 5 months without my truck.

·
923 Posts
I did clear the codes and they come right back. Turned ignition on and off a few times too. The tech hasn't assigned the injectors or anything yet so maybe that clears a code or 2 but at this point they want to replace the ecm anyways so they can narrow down the problem so if I brick this ecm I guess it wouldn't be the worst thing. I need to look into ezlynk installing the xcals and see if I have any luck. Why they cant load new program on there is beyond me they said i can do more with it with my ezlynk then they can. I'm going on 5 months without my truck.
The really unhelpful thing is that you have to sign up as a tech (free), but to associate your vin with your tech account costs $200 for a permanent link.

It cost me $40 I think for the correct xcal for my ecm, but I later found out my dealership would have given it to me.

The first time I installed a bin that I messed with my heart was pounding out of my chest.

·
30 Posts
I too would be interested in finding out if your issue was resolved. I have only had my truck about 2 weeks since mid June. had the who def system replaced, the dpf and cat, and now they are waiting on an ECM because it would not clear the codes from the DPF failure. the dealership had to consult nissan engineers to figure out the ECM was at fault and of course the part is back ordered across the country. Have been waiting on the part for almost a month.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts