Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
36 Posts
I know! Everything is pushing my mind toward it, increased power, better fuel economy, less wear and tear on the engine, beefier sounding exhaust. But the 73K miles I have left on my warranty is yelling much louder.

·
70 Posts
Depending on tuners (they are NOT all created equal), yes. I have two different tuners profiles on my truck and one definitely yields better MPG. That same tune delivers nothing less than 18.5 MPG unloaded with mixed driving. Even when I run it hard, my average never dips below that. On the flip side, when I drive like a grandpa I see 22-23.5, hand calculated. I track every full up on Fuelly, my average since I deleted is 21.9.
Which tune get better mileage?

·
1,309 Posts
Just dont know what I'd do if in one of the lucky ones to have a bad crank and motor let's go. I sure dont have 14k for a new motor lol

·
47 Posts
2018 XD 5.0 SV now has reached 20,000 - some thoughts:

• flawless powertrain
  • flawless exterior/interior
  • flawless infotainment system
  • dealer awesome/accomodating
  • usage is 70% commute (60 roundtrip)/20% short trip/10% highway
  • towed 4,000 3 short trips, 4X4 1/2 hour total
  • love the power reserve/acceleration
  • love the sound/smell
  • have done 4 oil/filter changes
  • have done 4 fuel filter changes(dual)
  • just had tranny fluid change
  • ride is the best(high and tight)
  • absolutely nothing to complain about
I'm glad I got the diesel before it was discontinued, plan on trying to eek out 400,000 (past Toyotas 297,000 and 207,000). If anyone is apprehensive about this wonderful truck - go to Duramax/Powerstroke forums and your fears will be alleviated.

It is rewarding to motor around in an unusual truck(rarity) and knowing that all the GM/Ford/Ram owners paid for the tremendous advertising instead of hidden quality.

"There is a sucker born every minute."

- W.C. Fields
I was at a Sams Club last week and someone in a Titan pulled up (gasser) and he had 400,000 on his. He said he would buy another.. Me I had so many issues with the engine.. and the rediculus 20,000 mile tranny fluid change on scheduled maintenance I will never buy another diesel or Nissan..

·
6 Posts
I took my daughter to the pet store to get some crickets and dubia roaches for her bearded dragon today. Along the way I saw a station that had diesel for $2.09. I was at just above 1/2 tank, so I went ahead and pulled in to top off the tank. There was a guy filling up his Ram 2500 on the opposite side of the pump from me. He asked me what kind of Cummins I had, so I told him. Then I asked him what kind of mileage he gets. He said he tows a 9,000 lb camper pretty regularly and gets between 12 and 15 mpg on flat roads. I almost choked on my spit! Then he told me he gets between 25 and 30 mpg unloaded, and I felt like crying! I told him I was lucky to get 20 unloaded on the Highway. He gave me a funny look and said, "I wonder why that is?" I didn't know what to tell him because, honestly, I don't know why Titans get such utterly crappy mileage.
I was getting my windows tinted, and in there was a Cummins dodge, a real farm truck, it had a bed full of toolboxes, all full of nasty tools, air tank rolling around in the bed, dents on every fender, and plenty of beer cans. The driver of this dodge starts asking me about my truck and i have to remind him every other sentence its a HALF TON TRUCK, because he keeps poop mouthing on the power etc. Then we talk about deletes and tunes, said he deleted and tuned his and now he gets 25MPG on average. I asked him if he hand calculated or if thats what the computer was telling him. He said thats what the computer was telling him. There are a lot of tunes that jack up the calibration on the MPG computations. I guarantee you, him rolling around out there in a loaded down, 35" mud tire having, dirt turnrows, coal rolling when he gets on the highway is not averaging 25 MPG. We have a couple of the older dodges on our farm, with no DEF, no tune, on the highway they do average around 20 MPG, the old 2 wheel drive can average around 22 on the interstate.
I just got my computer reflashed on the recall for 2016 and it SEEMS that im getting better MPG, but it could be the nice weather helping more than anything. Anyway, if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is, it takes more fuel to make more Horsepower, while a tune can lean out the mix a little bit to save fuel, the biggest savings i could imagine you gain is from losing the Re-gen, which over the life of the truck is probably good for a solid 1-1.5MPG increase, which is significant, that along with the other fuel mapping can probably yield you maybe 2 MPG total. Beware the computer MPG after a tune, always do a hand calculation.

·
1,309 Posts
I was at a Sams Club last week and someone in a Titan pulled up (gasser) and he had 400,000 on his. He said he would buy another.. Me I had so many issues with the engine.. and the rediculus 20,000 mile tranny fluid change on scheduled maintenance I will never buy another diesel or Nissan..
Are you serious right now? You wont own another because the 20k mile tranny fluid changes? That's literally the most retarded thing I've ever heard.

·
23 Posts
I agree with you! However, if Toyota puts out a diesel, I WILL probably try again..

·
36 Posts
I'll just stay with the only thing I don't like about my truck is the crappy fuel mileage. Other than that, I absolutely love it. And again, knock on wood, I haven't had any issues with mine yet. Oh, and one of the other things I love about it is just how few there are on the road around here. Rams, Fords, and Chevys are a dime a dozen in my neck of the woods, especially Rams. You can't even fart without a Ram driving through the stink cloud. I've gotten plenty of compliments on my truck, and it has started up a few fuel pump conversations. Good times!

·
6 Posts
I'll just stay with the only thing I don't like about my truck is the crappy fuel mileage. Other than that, I absolutely love it. And again, knock on wood, I haven't had any issues with mine yet. Oh, and one of the other things I love about it is just how few there are on the road around here. Rams, Fords, and Chevys are a dime a dozen in my neck of the woods, especially Rams. You can't even fart without a Ram driving through the stink cloud. I've gotten plenty of compliments on my truck, and it has started up a few fuel pump conversations. Good times!
May i ask what mikeage your getting. I get Nearly 19 on the highway ans 14.5 towing an 8500 pound cargo trailer. For me , this is fantastic bevause my tundra got 8 towing ans 12.8 highway

·
71 Posts
I was getting my windows tinted, and in there was a Cummins dodge, a real farm truck, it had a bed full of toolboxes, all full of nasty tools, air tank rolling around in the bed, dents on every fender, and plenty of beer cans. The driver of this dodge starts asking me about my truck and i have to remind him every other sentence its a HALF TON TRUCK, because he keeps poop mouthing on the power etc. Then we talk about deletes and tunes, said he deleted and tuned his and now he gets 25MPG on average. I asked him if he hand calculated or if thats what the computer was telling him. He said thats what the computer was telling him. There are a lot of tunes that jack up the calibration on the MPG computations. I guarantee you, him rolling around out there in a loaded down, 35" mud tire having, dirt turnrows, coal rolling when he gets on the highway is not averaging 25 MPG. We have a couple of the older dodges on our farm, with no DEF, no tune, on the highway they do average around 20 MPG, the old 2 wheel drive can average around 22 on the interstate.
I just got my computer reflashed on the recall for 2016 and it SEEMS that im getting better MPG, but it could be the nice weather helping more than anything. Anyway, if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is, it takes more fuel to make more Horsepower, while a tune can lean out the mix a little bit to save fuel, the biggest savings i could imagine you gain is from losing the Re-gen, which over the life of the truck is probably good for a solid 1-1.5MPG increase, which is significant, that along with the other fuel mapping can probably yield you maybe 2 MPG total. Beware the computer MPG after a tune, always do a hand calculation.
The Titan XD is not a half ton truck. It's a Class 2B truck; which is equivalent to an F-250, RAM 2500, or GM 2500. Nissan can call it a compact if they'd like; the regulations define it's class, not the marketing.

·
71 Posts
I’ll never understand some people’s need for other people to feel the same way. I loved my ‘00 Silverado z71. Loved my ‘12 Ram. Love my XD. At no point did I ever tell anyone their truck was bad cause I loved mine so much. I have a friend that drove her Honda Accord for nearly 20 years and 330k miles. She doesn’t argue with anyone about Honda being the most reliable. Her moms accord that replaced it (hence the one passed to my friend at 16) only made it to 65k with numerous trips for warranty service. A guy I worked with had the same Ram as me, same year, and hated it. Constant transmission and front axle issues.
Glad you enjoy your truck.
Internet forums thrive off of anecdotal and circumstantial evidence. That is where the "reliability" farce comes from; people spreading rumors of how their "xxx" went "xxx,xxx" miles and never even needed an oil change because it's so superior.

The retail and commercial sales speak for themselves.

·
36 Posts
May i ask what mikeage your getting. I get Nearly 19 on the highway ans 14.5 towing an 8500 pound cargo trailer. For me , this is fantastic bevause my tundra got 8 towing ans 12.8 highway
Best combined I've gotten in a single commute was 19 on the dot. Overall, I average about 18.5 combined on my daily commute to work.

·
313 Posts
Best combined I've gotten in a single commute was 19 on the dot. Overall, I average about 18.5 combined on my daily commute to work.
I just got back from a daytrip to Seward. 250 miles and I had to climb over 2 mountain passes each way. I got 22 mpg. The cummins purred in 6th gear the whole way, even on the steep climbs. I'm loving this truck.

·
1,309 Posts
I just got back from a daytrip to Seward. 250 miles and I had to climb over 2 mountain passes each way. I got 22 mpg. The cummins purred in 6th gear the whole way, even on the steep climbs. I'm loving this truck.
Your dash said 22?

·
313 Posts
Yes. I used to hand-calculate every now and then but don't bother anymore since the dash estimate was always less than 1mpg off.

Another nice thing about the Cummins... up here diesel is usually the same price or cheaper than gas.

·
433 Posts
Good luck with that. There was a reported 5.0 Diesel getting 268k here: High mile Titan XD Cummins!

Maybe true, but in these forums, there is nothing that hit 150k yet:

A lot have problems right past 100k including this poor bastard:

Many more have problems WAY before then.

Although the truck would probably hold up well, it would be a miracle if your transmission, turbo, and engine even got half of that.

It's hard to compare with Duramax and Powerstroke forums as there are way more of those on the road. Best guess is that there were around 50,000 diesel XDs made, so although it is nice having a unique truck, getting parts for even minor repairs will take a long time to get.

Not saying you shouldn't enjoy your truck, just be realistic with expectations.
I had 150,000 on my XD (2016, and yes I drive a LOT). Loved the truck. Turbo and EGR went out at 150K. Before that, truck was super solid. I sold the Cummins and got the gasser XD and absolutely LOVE it. Back on topic, I had 150K on my Cummins. My suggestion to those that want to get +300K out of them: 1) Tune and delete 2) Turbo Catch can mod. Do those two things and the chances of getting to over 300K with minimal issues are really high. Chances of getting to 200K without issues having not made those mods, very slim. JMHO. The potential for these trucks is incredible. Very underrated.

·
433 Posts
I took my daughter to the pet store to get some crickets and dubia roaches for her bearded dragon today. Along the way I saw a station that had diesel for $2.09. I was at just above 1/2 tank, so I went ahead and pulled in to top off the tank. There was a guy filling up his Ram 2500 on the opposite side of the pump from me. He asked me what kind of Cummins I had, so I told him. Then I asked him what kind of mileage he gets. He said he tows a 9,000 lb camper pretty regularly and gets between 12 and 15 mpg on flat roads. I almost choked on my spit! Then he told me he gets between 25 and 30 mpg unloaded, and I felt like crying! I told him I was lucky to get 20 unloaded on the Highway. He gave me a funny look and said, "I wonder why that is?" I didn't know what to tell him because, honestly, I don't know why Titans get such utterly crappy mileage.
I'm not saying you are lying, but I don't believe that Ram owner for 1 second. He's full of crap IMO. My dad has a Ram 2500 diesel and I have multiple friends with Ram 2500s. They all get about 18-19 mpg unloaded on the highway, and average about 16 mpg depending on their driving habits, and truck set up. Loaded with a camper or boat and they get 10-13 mpg depending on their weight and driving habits. That Ram owner was full of sh!t.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts