Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

41 - 60 of 97 Posts

·
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
After further investigation, found some more stuff in/on the truck that was not factory.

Here are the approx weights.

Harbor Freight adjustable hitch: 18lbs
NFab side steps: 70lbs
Harbor Freight tool box: 10lbs.

So about 100lbs. Still need to find that other mysterious 170lbs. LOL

·
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Weighed everything in our camper tonight 220lbs total. Add a little less then 100lbs for clothing and additional towels and that is pretty much what tow on our travels.

·
485 Posts
Surprise

After further investigation, found some more stuff in/on the truck that was not factory.

Here are the approx weights.

Harbor Freight adjustable hitch: 18lbs
NFab side steps: 70lbs
Harbor Freight tool box: 10lbs.

So about 100lbs. Still need to find that other mysterious 170lbs. LOL
It is that Bourbon Chocolate Pecan Pie with real Vanilla Bean Ice cream you have been having for dessert every night......:grin2:

·
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
It is that Bourbon Chocolate Pecan Pie with real Vanilla Bean Ice cream you have been having for dessert every night......:grin2:

I could be! Actually right after we weighed the truck I ate a delicious slice of chocolate and vanilla cake with real chocolate and vanilla buttercream icing at a small town coffee shop. :( I'm sure it won't help on the next weigh in with the truck. :(

·
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
An update for anyone who is following this thread.

We had a chance to take the truck again to the scale. This time we removed everything that wouldn't be in the truck, had a full tank of gas and my other son who would travel with us some times.

New scale readings First without the kid!

Steer Axle 4160
Drive Axle 3180
GVW 7340

Now with the youngster in the back seat

Steer Axle 4260
Drive Axle 3320
GVW 7580

Interestingly enough, If you put 4 or 5 full grown adults in the truck I believe you can easily be over the FAWR (4300).

We are heading to Hershey this week for their big RV show and hope to clear up this muddy water more with what we want, can afford and tow "legally".

I have expanded on my spreadsheets extensively and added a ton of other 1/2 ton "towable" 5th wheels to it along with some bumper pulls. Since we would likely never pull at the maximum payload capacity of the trailer I was trying to figure out the best way (with my limited knowledge and experience - which might get me in trouble!) to figure out a true PIN weight. The best I could come up with is using the trailer dry weight as a starting point and then use the calculated percentage of trailer cargo. I derived this percentage from the actual manufactures pin weight with the dry weight of the trailer. i.e. UNLOADED TRAILER WEIGHT is 8496lbs, the PIN WEIGHT is 1391lbs, The pin weight percentage is 16.3% (PIN WEIGHT/UNLOADED TRAILER WEIGHT). Add 550lbs to the trailer and you come up with an adjusted PIN WEIGHT of approx 1480lbs Obviously this is not perfect but it may actually be closer to reality once we put stuff in the trailer. Of course I understand that WHERE we put the stuff will also make a huge difference so....

In any case, as of now, the only 5th wheel that I can honestly say is perfectly "safe" and well under the payload/rear axle ratings for our truck is the Winnebago Mini Plus 25RKS. The reason is the obvious hitch weight of 820lbs! Other trailers (too many to list here right now) either come up right at the limits or are over payload by 10lbs to 300lbs before considering a hitch (more on this later since we have not decided on a hitch system yet)

We are really trying to keep the travel trailer/5th wheel under 30ft. I really don't believe we need anything longer then this and it may start to get us in to trouble were we want to camp if it's any longer. But, the wife REALLY likes the GD 295RL with it's 32ft length. Obviously this 5th wheel is on the upper side of the payload/rear axle limits.

As I have stated before in this thread, we do have some options. We can start to delete some of the factory added/after market options like the bed boxes, skid plates, steps etc. I have even considered removing the rear tail gate as well. The other option which certainly is very viable is to have her and any other person who would be joining us simply take another vehicle. Smaller one that gets good gas mileage. This would allow us to remove several hundred pounds right off the payload, give us a more maneuverable vehicle when visiting touristy sites along with an emergency vehicle if needed. Perhaps loading the trailer a certain way will reduce the pin weight enough to keep us under our limits but I have no idea to be honest.

It's a shame our truck doesn't have about 300 more pounds of payload.

All of the above may be moot if we find a travel trailer under 30ft that has the floor plan that we like. LOL :-/

As usual I am rambling on..It's late and I think I have been staring at too many RV sites for far too long.

·
Premium Member
1,160 Posts
When you look in the manual, on page 10-25 they mention gooseneck pin weights. They are 1300 - 1700 pounds depending on vehicle with a max combined of around 19,455 pounds. Give or take... In your case, you would add the weight of the hitch to the pin weight probably.

http://fifthwheelst.com/documents/nissanusa/2016-Titan-owner-manual.pdf

this is the 2016 manual. the others are here

http://fifthwheelst.com/tow_rating_titan_truck.html

ps: Don't buy the app they are trying to sell... the reviews say it doesn't work too well.

·
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
You are way over thinking something that will be used a few times a year....

You are probably right and my wife agrees with you.

I have two concerns with being over on either the rear axle or the payload though.

1) I live in MD. They have been known to push RVs into weigh stations on I-95. This is what I have read at least and apparently the state police and the government agency's are at odds with answers on whether this is the case or not. It's not clear. We hope to get up to Alaska at some point and I know for a fact that they check weights in Canada which we would likely be traveling through.

2) Spending 30 to 40 grand on something and not being able to tow it because of #1 is a big concern. I don't want to have to buy another truck (wife loves the Titan XD - her daily driver)

Based on what I read here and my experience towing with what we already have I really am not concerned about the capability of the truck.

·
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
When you look in the manual, on page 10-25 they mention gooseneck pin weights. They are 1300 - 1700 pounds depending on vehicle with a max combined of around 19,455 pounds. Give or take... In your case, you would add the weight of the hitch to the pin weight probably.

http://fifthwheelst.com/documents/nissanusa/2016-Titan-owner-manual.pdf

this is the 2016 manual. the others are here

http://fifthwheelst.com/tow_rating_titan_truck.html

ps: Don't buy the app they are trying to sell... the reviews say it doesn't work too well.

I looked this up already and the max pin weight is just shy of 1700lbs for the Pro4X gas. The GCVWR is 17,700lbs.

·
307 Posts
Sounds like xd is not your right truck. Sounds that y’all want bigger than the xd can handle and that’s ok. So get a smaller camper or a bigger truck :)

·
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Sounds like xd is not your right truck. Sounds that y’all want bigger than the xd can handle and that’s ok. So get a smaller camper or a bigger truck :)

That isn't happening. LOL Likely a travel trailer or travel with 2 vehicles. :)

·
76 Posts
Curious if any one is running with a Grand Design 28BH. Looks like pin weight is 1,500 lbs. and gvwr of 10,995 and uvw of 8,995. It’s in the Reflection range. I have the Titan XD SV 4wd and Cummins. Not sure how the math works on 5th wheels. I’ve been looking at travel trailers for awhile and have just started looking at the 5th wheels.

·
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Hershey PA show - found a few more 5er's to add to the possibility list. All new models different makes. Pin weights as low as 1090 dry.

·
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Well,
Narrowed down to the following for our new camper.

Highland Ridge Open Range: https://www.highlandridgerv.com/products/2019/fifth-wheels/light/floorplans/LF291RLS

Highland Ridge Mesa Ridge: https://www.highlandridgerv.com/products/2019/fifth-wheels/mesa-ridge-lite/floorplans/MF2804RK

KZ Durango Half Ton: No website yet. But three from this manufacture 27ft, 29ft and 33 11"

Winnebago 27RLTS https://winnebagoind.com/products/fifth-wheel/2018/minnie-plus/floorplans

Flagstaff 528RKS: https://www.rvone.com/orlandorv/rvs/model/Forest-River-Flagstaff-Super-Lite-Fifth-Wheel-528RKS-/4982

Rockwood 2608BS Travel trailer: https://www.exploreusa.com/product-forest-river-rv/rockwood-ultra-lite-travel-trailer/2608bs

Obviously the rockwood is the lightest but its a travel trailer. I think we pretty much eliminated the grand design because the only floor plan we liked besides the 295RL was the 230RL but we couldn't get past the fact that we would have no access with the slide in to the upper bedroom or bathroom. Shame too, at the show they were selling the 230RL for under $27K.

To make this work and stay under payload and rear axle we are planning to use the Reese goosebox which will eliminate the 5th wheel hitch weight hit on our payload.

·
307 Posts
We looked at the kz 1500 durango bunk model with 1/2 bath this summer. Really nice and good build quality.

·
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
We looked at the kz 1500 durango bunk model with 1/2 bath this summer. Really nice and good build quality.

They are changing the name of the 1500 series to "Half Ton". I loved all of their coaches, I REALLY want the 33 ft 11" model with the island but it weights in around 8700lbs dry and the length...ugh the length. LOL Wanted to keep it under 30ft...but...might have to push it beyond.

·
307 Posts
Yeah the one we looked at is maybe 38’ and 11500 gvwr. But the furthest we go is 2hr to the beach.

·
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Yeah the one we looked at is maybe 38’ and 11500 gvwr. But the furthest we go is 2hr to the beach.

As I have said before, I think even at 10k the XD could probably handle the coach. But getting in to state and national parks becomes a problem above 30ft. Also, towing through the mountains gets more interesting the heavier these things get. :) I would hate to buy it and fund out the XD gas struggles pulling the grades on the east coast mountains. I figure I need to stay grounded and keep the dry weight around 8k or less. That way I am below 9k when loaded and ready to camp.

Finding out about the Reese goosebox has really opened up some possibilities on the 5th wheel route though if you want to stay near or below capacities.

·
4 Posts
I am looking at making the move to a 5th wheel from a tt after purchasing my Titan last month. My question is, is everyone using a sidewinder (or other pin box extender) in a 6.5ft titan bed? I plan to go with a Curt A16 on their leg system that fits our factory pucks. I like the idea of the sidewinder, but didn't know if it was absolutely necessary?

·
307 Posts
I am looking at making the move to a 5th wheel from a tt after purchasing my Titan last month. My question is, is everyone using a sidewinder (or other pin box extender) in a 6.5ft titan bed? I plan to go with a Curt A16 on their leg system that fits our factory pucks. I like the idea of the sidewinder, but didn't know if it was absolutely necessary?
Most guys here are using the Andersen ultimate set up and like it due to how light weight it is.

41 - 60 of 97 Posts