Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

61 - 80 of 97 Posts

·
4 Posts
I just did some reading on the Anderson. That looks like the way to go. I love the weight and cost savings aspect and not having to swap out the pin box on a brand new trailer.

·
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
As of now I think were gonna stick with the goosebox instead of the anderson hitch. I realize that Anderson says they will cover the costs of any damage resulting from their hitch since Libbert won't but I like the idea of the goosebox air ride system to improve ride stability etc.

·
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
We just sold our little hybrid. Kinda bummed about it but now the rush is on to get the new rig!

Couple of last questions. If we go with the goose hitch from reese, am I going to be severely limited in my turning radius since I won't have a sliding hitch or a sidewinder style. If I go this route I think I can manage just about all of the 5ers on our short list. If not and we have to use a 5th wheel hitch in the bed we'll be cutting it real close on rear axle or going over by 100 to 200lbs and the payload will be over by 50lbs to 400lbs depending on the new rig. All of this of course is carrying people in the truck and not taking a separate vehicle. If we did that we are good to go with all of the campers.

Thanks for all of the help!

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
We just sold our little hybrid. Kinda bummed about it but now the rush is on to get the new rig!

Couple of last questions. If we go with the goose hitch from reese, am I going to be severely limited in my turning radius since I won't have a sliding hitch or a sidewinder style. If I go this route I think I can manage just about all of the 5ers on our short list. If not and we have to use a 5th wheel hitch in the bed we'll be cutting it real close on rear axle or going over by 100 to 200lbs and the payload will be over by 50lbs to 400lbs depending on the new rig. All of this of course is carrying people in the truck and not taking a separate vehicle. If we did that we are good to go with all of the campers.

Thanks for all of the help!
I'm not 100% sure on the turning radius for the Reese but I can tell you with the Demco Autoslide yo can do 90 degrees with an above the rail toolbox on our 6.5 bed and NEVER have to look back while backing or turning or worry about it. See attached with my 42' FR Hemisphere 356QB....and if you are worried about the extra 250lbs added on top of the pin weight....well then convince the wife you need a generator mounted on the rear bumper and that will solve that problem???

Attachments

·
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
I'm not 100% sure on the turning radius for the Reese but I can tell you with the Demco Autoslide yo can do 90 degrees with an above the rail toolbox on our 6.5 bed and NEVER have to look back while backing or turning or worry about it. See attached with my 42' FR Hemisphere 356QB....and if you are worried about the extra 250lbs added on top of the pin weight....well then convince the wife you need a generator mounted on the rear bumper and that will solve that problem???

We are very close to pulling the trigger on one of these two (as of tonight LOL)

https://www.kz-rv.com/products/durango-half-ton-fifth-wheels/D250RES.html <--UVW is a lot less but hitch weight is one of the most. Under 30ft.

or this one:

https://www.kz-rv.com/products/durango-half-ton-fifth-wheels/D283RLT.html <--33ft 11" but the pin weight is 1230 to start! But UVW is almost 9000lbs.

Open Range has a similar floor plan but shorter but the stupid floors are laminate and 24" centers on the floor joists. That has me worried.

Stay tuned I guess.

·
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Well we settled on a camper. We went up to the dealer again and had a long hard look at the KZ Durangos. We really liked the fit and finish inside and out and the build quality seemed very good "under the hood".

https://www.kz-rv.com/products/durangno-half-ton-fifth-wheels/D271RLD.html

This is exactly like the 283RLT that we were closely looking at but this one does not have a bedroom closet slide. I don't think we really need it.

So with that weight gone we were able to add a second A/C unit and we come in under 1200lbs (1190lbs) dry on the hitch and UVW of 8670 (got these numbers directly from the first build the manufacturer just pulled off the line.

We may add a solar package to it which might add a few more pounds to the above. With this unit we are well under on axle and pushing near payload with about 600lbs of gear.

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
Well we settled on a camper. We went up to the dealer again and had a long hard look at the KZ Durangos. We really liked the fit and finish inside and out and the build quality seemed very good "under the hood".

https://www.kz-rv.com/products/durangno-half-ton-fifth-wheels/D271RLD.html

This is exactly like the 283RLT that we were closely looking at but this one does not have a bedroom closet slide. I don't think we really need it.

So with that weight gone we were able to add a second A/C unit and we come in under 1200lbs (1190lbs) dry on the hitch and UVW of 8670 (got these numbers directly from the first build the manufacturer just pulled off the line.

We may add a solar package to it which might add a few more pounds to the above. With this unit we are well under on axle and pushing near payload with about 600lbs of gear.
I really like that unit you chose. I'm not very familiar with the Durangos but seems well laid out. Congratulations!

·
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #69 (Edited)
I really like that unit you chose. I'm not very familiar with the Durangos but seems well laid out. Congratulations!

Thank you. Neither were we until we saw it at the Hershey RV show. It was nearly walked past near the end of our day there too. It really caught our attention when we saw the smaller 5th wheels. I would have gone with the smaller unit for sure at 28ft 11" but the tongue weight was insane for it's weight. It weighed 7200 dry and had a pin of 1380! This 33ft 11" one has a dry weight of 8670 and a pin weight of 1190. Go figure. :-/ I guess it's how its laid out with the wheel location and everything. Both had pretty much the same bedroom layout too except the one we finally choose does not have the bedroom slide (even still the sister floor plan to the one still with the bedroom slide was 150lbs lighter on the pin!)

Hope we have good luck with it. I know it's always a gamble with these things.

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts

Thank you. Neither were we until we say it at the Hershey RV show. It was nearly walked past near the end of our day there too. It really caught our attention when we saw the smaller 5th wheels. I would have gone with the smaller unit for sure at 28ft 11" but the tongue weight was insane for it's weight. It weighed 7200 dry and had a pin of 1380! This 33ft 11" one has a dry weight of 8670 and a pin weight of 1190. Go figure. ? I guess it's how its layed out with the wheel location and everything. Both had pretty much the same bedroom layout too except the one we finally choose does not have the bedroom slide (even still the sister floor plan to the one still with the bedroom slide was 150lbs lighter on the pin!)

Hope we have good luck with it. I know it's always a gamble with these things.
I saw that on the weights and you are correct. Axle placement and weight distribution by the MFR play a big big role in your pin weight.
My 42' Forest River is rated at 1700 but actually (scaled) is right around 1550.
Forest River interior finish quality really sucks these days??....but after owning four of them they have always done a great job working in concert with Lippert on the weight distribution. Looks like Durango does the same thing.
Safe travels and hey....dont stow that beautiful unit for the winter....hit the road???and put some happy miles on it?

·
4 Posts
Newbie to both

I can’t speak for that exact Grand Design- I have a 2016 XD diesel Pro-4X and am towing the Grand Design 295RL. It lists at a little higher pin weight than the one you listed.

The poster who said pin weights are light on the listings- not necessarily- Grand Design weighs EVERY trailer and includes a pin weight for that trailer with the documentation- mine is actually about 100 pounds heavier- 2nd AC in the front.

We have pulled ours no issue and we are probably in the range of 400 over listed payload for the truck. No issues in the mountains 11-13 MPG. Uses a bit more DEF but not a huge deal. If you go with the Grand Design 150 Series they have a Turning Point hitch- but either way we do not NEED to use a sliding 5th wheel. The truck pulls like a dream. We were at 1400 pin weight (1800 payload). Haven’t put it on a CAT scale but I pulled through downtown Atlanta at rush hour and had no pucker factor at all.

Hope this helps.
Hello, I'm getting a 5th with with very similar specs and looking at the 2016 XD Diesel Pro-4X. Rookie question I didn't ask at the dealer, does it use a puck system? Is there a special hitch I need. Trailer has a turning point so was told I don't need a slider. Any info appreciated.

Attachments

·
62 Posts
It does use a puck system. Nissan makes an adaptor plate that uses the puck attachment points and converts to standard 5th wheel rails. Demco makes one too. There are likely others now.

You can likely drill your box floor and use U-bolts similar to how it is done on trucks with no puck system.

·
10 Posts
We went with a Curt hitch (opted for the slider even though we have the Turning Point- gave us the option to haul something else). It is hooked into the factory puck system. General RV did all the work for us when we got the GD 295RL- the actually quoted us a cheaper hitch and upgraded to the one we have. The Turning Point works perfectly and I was able to keep my above rail tool box in place with the fiver attached.

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
It does use a puck system. Nissan makes an adaptor plate that uses the puck attachment points and converts to standard 5th wheel rails. Demco makes one too. There are likely others now.

You can likely drill your box floor and use U-bolts similar to how it is done on trucks with no puck system.
We went with a Curt hitch (opted for the slider even though we have the Turning Point- gave us the option to haul something else). It is hooked into the factory puck system. General RV did all the work for us when we got the GD 295RL- the actually quoted us a cheaper hitch and upgraded to the one we have. The Turning Point works perfectly and I was able to keep my above rail tool box in place with the fiver attached.
Pretty nice when you can keep your toolbox and do a 90 too?? Love me some Demco Autoslide. I would really rather have a setup like the Turning Point though.

Attachments

·
4 Posts
Searching for the hitch proving to be harder than I thought. Nissan doesn't carry the hitches themselves it looks like. Looks like Curt is the only option? Anyone know of anyone else? I found one on Amazon and one on Del City. Curt 16071 E16.

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts

·
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #78

·
Banned
356 Posts
Take a look at the Anderson Ultimate. I have an 18 Pro4X diesel and tow a Cougar 359MBI with it using my Anderson hitch. I love this hitch for its ease of use, ability to take in and out by myself (weighs 35 lbs), and the testing Anderson puts into it's products. It is greaseless and allows for off-camber hitching and un-hitching (some parks are fairly uneven) with no drama.

As for the Grand Design, I wish I had gone with them over Keystone as I live in mine. Their quality is top notch and when I am able I will switch over. Good luck.

61 - 80 of 97 Posts