Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
Take a look at the Anderson Ultimate. I have an 18 Pro4X diesel and tow a Cougar 359MBI with it using my Anderson hitch. I love this hitch for its ease of use, ability to take in and out by myself (weighs 35 lbs), and the testing Anderson puts into it's products. It is greaseless and allows for off-camber hitching and un-hitching (some parks are fairly uneven) with no drama.

As for the Grand Design, I wish I had gone with them over Keystone as I live in mine. Their quality is top notch and when I am able I will switch over. Good luck.
Let's see some pics....I'm a fifth wheel junkie ?

·
22 Posts
I can’t speak for that exact Grand Design- I have a 2016 XD diesel Pro-4X and am towing the Grand Design 295RL. It lists at a little higher pin weight than the one you listed.

The poster who said pin weights are light on the listings- not necessarily- Grand Design weighs EVERY trailer and includes a pin weight for that trailer with the documentation- mine is actually about 100 pounds heavier- 2nd AC in the front.

We have pulled ours no issue and we are probably in the range of 400 over listed payload for the truck. No issues in the mountains 11-13 MPG. Uses a bit more DEF but not a huge deal. If you go with the Grand Design 150 Series they have a Turning Point hitch- but either way we do not NEED to use a sliding 5th wheel. The truck pulls like a dream. We were at 1400 pin weight (1800 payload). Haven’t put it on a CAT scale but I pulled through downtown Atlanta at rush hour and had no pucker factor at all.

Hope this helps.
If I may ask, what type of receiver hitch are you using with the Turning Point system? Have you had any issues towing, especially with the weight of the 150 series 295RL, etc...

·
22 Posts
After further investigation, found some more stuff in/on the truck that was not factory.

Here are the approx weights.

Harbor Freight adjustable hitch: 18lbs
NFab side steps: 70lbs
Harbor Freight tool box: 10lbs.

So about 100lbs. Still need to find that other mysterious 170lbs. LOL
How are you liking the Durango? Doesn't it weigh more than the GD? Do you have any weight specifics that you can share?

·
22 Posts
If I may ask, what type of receiver hitch are you using with the Turning Point system? Have you had any issues towing, especially with the weight of the 150 series 295RL, etc...
I am ,looking at the 273MK, which receiver hitch are you utilizing with the Turning Point hitch on the GD? Thanks

·
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #85 (Edited)
How are you liking the Durango? Doesn't it weigh more than the GD? Do you have any weight specifics that you can share?
We have really been enjoying the Durango. We love it (but see below) Check out our travel VLOGS here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9uMT-NXRlun7WASlzekebQ - Lots of video of the Durango and the Titan XD. Though one major issue with the Durango and it is likely going back to the factory at the end of this season. We seem to have developed some de-lamination on the drivers side bedroom area. Which of course sucks.

Dry pin weight was 1130lbs from the factory with a dry weight of 8650lbs total. Hitched up and ready to go loaded with 2 30lb tanks of propane and 2 deep cycle marine batteries we are at 1345 pin weight and running close to 9000lbs. At some point soon, I am swapping out the 2 batteries for 1 Lithium battery with the same amp hours o f both of the others combined. I should be able to reduce it from 130lbs down to 30lbs for further reduction in pin weight.

·
22 Posts
I am having trouble making the math work with my gasser and I have a payload capacity of 2039lbs. With a smaller 5th wheel with a pin weight of around 1300lbs I am running out of payload fast. Most diesels I have looked at seem to be well below 2000lbs.

Also, do the diesels have higher GCVR #s because of the engine torque or some other reason? i.e. Almost 19000lbs vs. almost 18000lbs.

Just trying to rule out a 5th wheel or not in our purchasing decision.

·
22 Posts
We have really been enjoying the Durango. We love it (but see below) Check out our travel VLOGS here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9uMT-NXRlun7WASlzekebQ - Lots of video of the Durango and the Titan XD. Though one major issue with the Durango and it is likely going back to the factory at the end of this season. We seem to have developed some de-lamination on the drivers side bedroom area. Which of course sucks.

Dry pin weight was 1130lbs from the factory with a dry weight of 8650lbs total. Hitched up and ready to go loaded with 2 30lb tanks of propane and 2 deep cycle marine batteries we are at 1345 pin weight and running close to 9000lbs. At some point soon, I am swapping out the 2 batteries for 1 Lithium battery with the same amp hours o f both of the others combined. I should be able to reduce it from 130lbs down to 30lbs for further reduction in pin weight.
CS1007,
Why did you chose the Durango over the GD273MK?

Bmassei

·
22 Posts
Paggy
Which hitch system are you using with your GD 295RL Turning Point?

Thanks
Bmassei

·
22 Posts
We went to Grand Design from Jayco- the fit and finish is far above what we had in either of our Jayco’s- will never leave GD. The 150 Series is great- we’ve done a few minor mods- no repairs yet (its a 2019). We got it down about 25% and they threw in the hitch. I think it was right around $42k with the 2nd AC. I have nothing bad to say about them or the company we bought from- so much different than dealing with Camping World.

You can’t go wrong.
Paggy,
What hitch are you using with the Turning Point system and your 295RL?

Bmassei

·
22 Posts
I just did some reading on the Anderson. That looks like the way to go. I love the weight and cost savings aspect and not having to swap out the pin box on a brand new trailer.
OK Trout

Do you have the exact part numbers on the Andersen Hitch system that you are using? Do you have to use the Nissan rail kit with this set up?

Thanks
Bmassei

·
22 Posts
Let's see some pics....I'm a fifth wheel junkie ?
[/QUOTE
Arice,

What are the part numbers for the Andersen Ultimate hitch system? Which goose neck balls, etc... Did you have to use the Nissan rail kit using the Andersen system?

Thanks
Bmassei

·
3 Posts
2007 Carriage Cameo 32

Dry weight is around 11,300 on paper fully loaded with generator and camping gear probably around 12,500#. Pin weight estimated 2500#.

Truck is a stock engine 18 Platinum with loadlifter airbags @ 50psi and handles it like a dream. Took it to Chattanooga last weekend (1200mi R/T) and averaged 11mpg. Only complaint is I felt I was always stopping for fuel and it used a box of def.

Overall I'm very satisfied with the truck and feel its probably the best value out there. Hopefully no fuel pump or EGC issues in my future!

·
1,475 Posts
2007 Carriage Cameo 32

Dry weight is around 11,300 on paper fully loaded with generator and camping gear probably around 12,500#. Pin weight estimated 2500#.

Truck is a stock engine 18 Platinum with loadlifter airbags @ 50psi and handles it like a dream. Took it to Chattanooga last weekend (1200mi R/T) and averaged 11mpg. Only complaint is I felt I was always stopping for fuel and it used a box of def.

Overall I'm very satisfied with the truck and feel its probably the best value out there. Hopefully no fuel pump or EGC issues in my future!

View attachment 45245
Hell yeah man that's a good load there. I was coming back from missouri couple weeks ago and a xd passed me towing what seemed to be a damn 38-40' fifth wheel, had to of been in the 13k dry weight area lol. Dude was just chugging along hahaha

·
50 Posts
Roughneck do you have the Titan boxes and are you able to tow with them or do they have to be removed.

81 - 97 of 97 Posts