Nissan Titan XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did this today with just a few things bought from Tractor Supply. While doing a search beforehand, I couldn't find a write-up on doing this to the Titan XD with the Cummins. Plenty for the big 3 diesels, though. So I decided to take pictures and document this. I hope it helps anyone that wants to address the oil vapors being sucked into their turbos and gunking up their intake system.

This was done for roughly $20 (USD) for 10 feet of hose (3/4" inner-diameter) and a 3/4" PVC cap that does not have threads. The hose won't fit on a threaded cap. I already had some zip-ties and super glue, but if you don't, it won't add much to the cost.

First, remove this temperature sensor. It'll be in the way if you don't. I don't know what size the nut is because I used an adjustable wrench. But be careful with sensors. They can break easily. I would know...

Also, disconnect the front EGR valve to get that bulky connector out of the way.

Remove the 8mm bolt that secures your stock CCV (crankcase ventilation) and the 10mm bolt that secures the intake elbow. Remove the bigass plastic intake tube and the use a flathead screwdriver to snap the intake bracket apart. Removing it will give you more room. You can put this back together by simply using a pair of pliers and squeezing it. I suggest stuffing a rag into the intake tube to keep shit out while you work.

Next is to remove your stock CCV hose. It's kind of a bitch.

I can only attatch 10 images per post, so this will have to be broken into a few posts.

Discussion Starter · #3 ·

You won't need the 8mm bolt anymore.

Now to intall your new hose. You can use the hose clamps from your stock hose. I decided to run it down by the driver side since it was shorter, but run it doesn't matter how you do it. Just make sure there's no kinks in the hose, or you'll restrict airflow and cause too much pressure to build in your crankcase, which could push oil past your seals. The red circle shows where I added a zip-tie later on. And the picture taken from below the truck doesn't show it, but the hose has 2-3 inches of clearance from the steering shaft. Don't want it touching any moving parts. This spot also keeps it away from the exhaust manfold. It's rubber, so be mindful of what it touches. I ran it down to the crossmember that mounts the transmission's tail. This keeps it far enough where I shouldn't smell oil if I'm running the AC to bring in outside air. Pointing the hole towards the rear also will help cause a scaveging effect when driving. Pointing the hole towards the front of the truck might ram air into your hose, increasing crankcase pressure. Use zip-ties where you see fit. It's routing a hose, not rocket science.

2016 XD 4x4 Tuned with straight pipe.
Looks good. The only thing I did differently was grab a random U shaped piece of heater hose from advance auto. But then I had to get a 3/4 pex straight connector to run the straight piece. I also bought an "e-vac scavenger kit," with the intentions of running the ccv into the exhaust pipe, but never got around to trying it.

Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The last step of this mod is to block off the hole left in your intake where the stock hose introduced crankcase vapors to your turbos. Ignoring this will cause your engine to suck in unfiltered air. They make rubber PVC caps that would he perfect for this, but I couldn't find any with a 3/4" ID. So I made my own...it looks like a dick.

Use some leftover hose, put some superglue/JB weld/whatever you choose on the end. Slide your plastuc cap over your hose and then make your cut so that 2 inches of hose sticks out from the cap. Grab your other hose clamp and attatch your homemade dildo to your intake tube. After this, re-assemble your intake elbow, put your temperature sensor back in, plug in you EGR valve and crack open a beer! Your engine is no longer breathing in oily bullshit! Compliment this quick mod by unplugging your two EGR valves if you're tuned/deleted, and cleaning the soot out of your intake manifold and your engine can breath happily.

Happy wrenching, bros.

If you're tuned it will not throw codes. But you then need to be careful because any overpressure in the crank case will not throw a code and could cause issues. Like with a home made catch can, ask me how I know lol.

Crankcase intake?
You had posted:

The last step of this mod is to block off the hole left in your intake where the stock hose introduced crankcase vapors to your turbos. Ignoring this will cause your engine to suck in unfiltered air. They make rubber PVC caps that would he perfect for this, but I couldn't find any with a 3/4" ID. So I made my own...it looks like a dick.
Instead of blocking it off, can't you just run fresh air to it by running a tube from the CAI box?

Did you get any check engine lights or fault codes? I installed the mishimoto can on my truck but there is still oil residue on the residue of the return hose to the intake
This mod is for deleted trucks only. You'll get a code if the sensors are not disabled.

Thanks for the write up. I did it today but didn鈥檛 have any super glue. Thank you Uber eats for delivering the glue. I figure I鈥檒l stay this route until I get the solution kit.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.