Nissan Titan XD Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for folks. I’ve got an XD 5.0 with close to 68k miles. I initially got the reduced engine power light that came on and off a few times during long hauls. The other night I got stuck in traffic bad traffic and ended up idling forever it seems. Once traffic clears up I got stuck what I think was limp mode. Couldn’t get it over 30 mph. Got to my stop and let the truck sit for about 45 minutes. Restarted it and it now says exhaust filter clogged, immediate service required. But it runs better. Not 100%, but better. Still had the last warning showing.

took it to a reputable shop and they said they said I need both a DPF and Catalyst for about $11K. Other option was to have a local guy do the delete and remove those parts, install a new exhaust for about $4K.

My question is - is it possible to just replace the DPF? Since that’s what it says is clogged? That would run about $5K? Or do they both need replaced at the same time.

thoughts?

320 Posts
For a $240 pipe, a ~$500 computer, and tune of your choice the truck can be fixed with a delete. You'll never have problems with DEF, filters, or EGR clogging your intake again. NavyCuda is about to release his tune to the market. I'm currently testing it, and his tune is better than my prrevious tune by CTT, and he charges less than half as much. The truck can breathe better, it's more efficient, and the turbos aren't being worked so hard. It's ~$300 US for permanent support. $200 for 4 week support. The support period includes updates and help from him. The support periods prices are determined by EZ Lynk, not himself. He's not pocketing much from each copy sold.

For the EGR system, you can remove that with a well made kit sold by a few members here, or follow a thread I made on how I removed my EGR for less than $100.

If you don't want to delete, that's understandable. There's lots of people on here, including myself, that are offering to sell their functional emissions treatment equipment that are just collecting dust on a shelf, for much less than what a delaership is asking for. You can replace the DPF by istelf, since it's seperate from the SCR. These filters are also very easy to replace, so you could avoid mechanic labor fees with a few hours of your time. It's just a few bolts, eletrical connectors, and DEF line connector.

11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Appreciate everyones help. Ive seen lots of websites selling ez lynk systems and delete kits. Is there any real difference between them? Or is the price difference mostly just system updates after a sale? I'm a complete newbie to this process. I'm leaning on buying the kit and have a local mechanic install. Doing it myself is not an option.

2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
1,295 Posts
Some tunes offer a soft switch, aka shift on the fly. They let you select different power levels. This is an additional component to install into the truck. Any tune that is using a soft switch is not correctly calculating combustion without the egr.

Pricing on tunes is all over the place.

It doesn't matter if you buy the ez lynk with tunes from a shop, or buy the ez lynk separate from the tune. In both cases you have to provide the truck VIN to the tuner so they can add themselves as a technician to your vehicle. Then you, or the shop installs the tune.

Some shops are willing to do a one-time install for you with their own ez lynk so you don't have to buy the tuner, but that means if you ever have to retune for some reason, you have to go back to the shop. Since you likely wouldn't have paid for a permanent subscription, you may have to buy the tune again too.

The exhaust is really straight forward to do and unless everything is completely rusted together under there, it shouldn't take any more than two hours to do. I do recommend springing the extra money for plugs to cap off the connectors. Fill them with dielectric grease. There is at least one good example of removing the emissions on youtube.

The tune, hook the cables up, pair your phone, upload the calibration, install it... call it a day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts