Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just spent 4 days in Florida driving in some deeper and loose sand.

Just wanted to pass along I was able to air down to 23psi on the front and 20psi on the back without any issues. Maybe I could have gone lower, but didnt want to risk throwing a tire off of a rim. But I tested these pressures for multiple days.

I am sure most already know the benefit to airing down on sand, but I tested just for my own piece of mind. Trying the same hill twice, once at 70psi and one aired down. Almost came to a complete stop / stuck going up the hill @ 70. No issues at all aired down. It was unbelievable how much of a night and day difference it made.

Off course all driving was done off road in the sand, and tires were aired back up before proceeding back onto the paved roads.

Just thought I would share. If you knew all this already please disregard. If it helps someone else...great. :)

·
198 Posts
Airing down for sand makes a huge difference. It enlarges the tire's contact patch with the ground by not only making the contact a patch a little wider but it also makes it about twice as long thereby reducing the pounds per square inch of tire contact by about 50 %.
You can do the same for washboard dirt roads to make the ride much more enjoyable (about 30-35 psi). Just make sure you don't hit any large rocks at speed when aired down to prevent busting a tire off the bead.

·
324 Posts
Having growing in sugar sand rich Central Florida driving a 2wd truck I learned the value of airing down my tires at a you age. Even on the beach is certain conditions you need to air down. I keep a small 12v compressor in my truck for such occasions

With the XD and 65 psi in the tires, just dropping to 30 is a huge improvement. On the Outer Banks 4wd beach at the North end I dropped to 15psi. I have been there with two truck and bother trucks pulled a few more than capable vehicles that got stuck because ey didn't
Air down and got careless.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I keep a small 12v compressor in my truck for such occasions.
I just bought a 12v compressor that was rated for RV tires upto 150psi. I was very impressed with the build quality, looks, and fit and finish. Granted I have only used it a few times, but it made the job from 20ish back to 70psi with ease.

Having the compressor along with me made the choice easier to air down and not have to worry about where I could fill them back up.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Care to share the brand?

Sure this is the one I ordered.

Its a little bit more than some of the cheaper ones I was looking at, but I think it was a good deal. The carrying bag, dual hoses, attachments, and metal construction make be feel good about it so far.

So far so great, Ill have to see how it holds up long term. But airs up to 70psi pretty quickly as far as other 12v compressors I have tried. I really wanted the dual ARB one, but was not ready to drop $800.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I was in Moab I aired down to 18. It makes a huge difference and I didn’t blow a tire off of the rim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good to know, thanks. I assume that was on rocks and turning? So if it didnt come off the rim there, then I think 18 is pretty safe.

·
173 Posts
My other hobbies drain the wallet a bit faster... no money for a viair (from what I've reviewed, wish i had it...) Just picked up the superflow mv50. Recently upgraded my TT tires, need 80 psi, and there's no power in storage. Don't want to wait 10 years for 80psi. I haven't tested it yet but F it... if it fails I'm going to make up some BS storey and I'll get a generator for CHRISTmas. Always wanted one of those...

·
41 Posts
Just spent 4 days in Florida driving in some deeper and loose sand.

Just wanted to pass along I was able to air down to 23psi on the front and 20psi on the back without any issues. Maybe I could have gone lower, but didnt want to risk throwing a tire off of a rim. But I tested these pressures for multiple days.

I am sure most already know the benefit to airing down on sand, but I tested just for my own piece of mind. Trying the same hill twice, once at 70psi and one aired down. Almost came to a complete stop / stuck going up the hill @ 70. No issues at all aired down. It was unbelievable how much of a night and day difference it made.

Off course all driving was done off road in the sand, and tires were aired back up before proceeding back onto the paved roads.

Just thought I would share. If you knew all this already please disregard. If it helps someone else...great. :)
@60psi no air down at all with 20x12 motot metal Razer with 35" boggers. No problems at all in deep and soft sand. Even in mud she awesome!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@60psi no air down at all with 20x12 motot metal Razer with 35" boggers. No problems at all in deep and soft sand. Even in mud she awesome

It makes a difference. There could possibly be a time when it helps you, just saying. Nice pics though. That sand looks a little more hard pact by all the tracks on it. Still cool though, I think I saw these pictures in another thread too.

·
324 Posts
The Outer banks sand is like no other. If you don’t have 4wd you can be ticketed. If you tear the sand up getting stuck you can be ticketed, you likely won’t be. But is is absolutely a must to air down. I have seen the biggest baddest trucks sitting on their axels while a Honda Pilot drives right past them. My last trip there was in 2015 and pulled out two Jeeps, 1 Hummer 2, 1 F250 and 2 AWD cars. My wife’s cousin insisted that his Jeep wrangler would be fine, he made it 100 yards off the pavement and dug in. Lowered his aire pressure and drove right out.

Lesson I learned here in Florida where sugar sand is more common that asphalt.

·
41 Posts
It makes a difference. There could possibly be a time when it helps you, just saying. Nice pics though. That sand looks a little more hard pact by all the tracks on it. Still cool though, I think I saw these pictures in another thread too.
With the boggers I haven't had any problems. But pretty sure one day I may need to air down.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts