Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
2017 Titan XD Diesel Pro4X, 2017 Nissan Armada Platinum
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard some horror stories of the CP4 fuel pump failures and the catastrophic consequences of having to replace the whole fuel delivery system. I don't know about you, but I don't have $12-$14K just lying around to pay for a new fuel system. I found this video and thought I would share.. Knowledge is power. I was recently told by a certain representative, from a certain manufacturing company not to add any type of lubricating additive to my diesel fuel. I was told to only add a cetane booster. Based on information about the extremely low sulfur content in US diesel fuel vs. European diesel fuel (which the CP4 was specifically designed for the European market to begin with), I found that advise very surprising. I did some more research and found this video, which really puts things into perspective for proper preventative maintenance that can save your CP4 from early failure. Not to mention, he has plenty of scientific and engineering data to back up all of his recommendations. Let me know your thoughts after watching the video. Are you already doing everything he touches on? Are you using a fuel lubricant/additive, and if so, which brand do you use? How often do you change your fuel filters? How often do you drain your fuel/water separator?
Let see if we have a majority consensus on what the true proper preventative maintenance should be regarding the fuel delivery system on our diesels.

Reactions: MuleMan2

·
167 Posts
I use hot shots secrets EDT in the fuel and their Green Diamond 10w-30 synthetic oil in the engine. I swear by this stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is what I went with, the hot shot EDT

·
192 Posts
Correct on all aspects. Another one that her didn't touch on, but I think it's equally important is starving the pump. I never let my tank go below 1/4. Too risky in my book.

I use Opti Lube, 8oz every 1/4 tank. Filters early, even though I think 10k is early. Wait a few seconds to start the truck after hitting start/stop button.

I found enough water in the 1st stage filter to destroy my entire fuel system the last time I changed my filters but not enough water to set off the sensor. I'll be draining my 1st stage monthly now because of that.

Sent from my motorola one fusion+ using Tapatalk

·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Correct on all aspects. Another one that her didn't touch on, but I think it's equally important is starving the pump. I never let my tank go below 1/4. Too risky in my book.

I use Opti Lube, 8oz every 1/4 tank. Filters early, even though I think 10k is early. Wait a few seconds to start the truck after hitting start/stop button.

I found enough water in the 1st stage filter to destroy my entire fuel system the last time I changed my filters but not enough water to set off the sensor. I'll be draining my 1st stage monthly now because of that.

Yes, you are correct. I have heard that allowing the fuel tank to get low can introduce large air gaps to the fuel pump which also can lead to early pump failure. Wow. 8 oz.opti lube every 1/4 tank? Or did you mean every 4th tank? This is my first diesel, so I never knew anything about a water separator for the fuel, I now drain mine about one every three to four weeks as well.

·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1st step don't buy a duramax... check. Next question
I have never been a Chevy fan anyway, so a duramax would have been the last choice on my list of diesels.

·
192 Posts
Everytime when I refuel at 1/4 I add 8oz of Opti Lube

·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Everytime when I refuel at 1/4 I add 8oz of Opti Lube

Ahhhhh, ok gotcha!

·
1,638 Posts
Archoil or hot shots. Archoil was made to help the furds cp4 from imploding and seems to work well

·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Archoil or hot shots. Archoil was made to help the furds cp4 from imploding and seems to work well
Ahh, good to know. I was not aware of that. Gonna see how this hot shot does for a while.

·
857 Posts
Good information. Thank you. How many miles have you clocked?
I just rolled over 50k miles. I use 8 ounces every fill- up at the pump. I pour the additive in first, then pump to ensure a good mix in the tank.

Just did my 50k service, so I will be sending off my 4th oil analysis to Blackstone labs today. I will update in the oil analysis thread.

·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just rolled over 50k miles. I use 8 ounces every fill- up at the pump. I pour the additive in first, then pump to ensure a good mix in the tank.

Just did my 50k service, so I will be sending off my 4th oil analysis to Blackstone labs today. I will update in the oil analysis thread.
[/QUOTE
Excellent, thanks for the information!

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4X Cummins
4 Posts

Hello, just wondering which of the OptiLube additives you are using? If your using the summer + cetane then you are using too much additive. The summer + cetane blend is only supposed to be 2-3 oz per fill up. The attachments where taken directly from OptiLubes website. FYI, I am also for OptiLubes additives. Very well made lubricants.

Attachments

·
857 Posts
Hello, just wondering which of the OptiLube additives you are using? If your using the summer + cetane then you are using too much additive. The summer + cetane blend is only supposed to be 2-3 oz per fill up. The attachments where taken directly from OptiLubes website. FYI, I am also for OptiLubes additives. Very well made lubricants.
I’m not using Optilube- I’m using Diesel Kleen, like stated above.

·
50 Posts
I use the PS diesel kleen in the grey bottle and never let it get below 1/4 tank. Ive let it get to 1/8 back when I first bought it and it always had to crank longer, and I've had a low fuel pressure light come on before, but I think that was because Nissan didn't change my fuel filters when I had got the oil changed. I thought they had a special gping because it was cheaper until I looked at the receipt. I make sure they change the fuel filters every oil change. Do that and you shouldn't have any problems. Hot shots secret or power service in the grey bottle have both been proven to increase fuel lubricity.

·
16 Posts
I use Hot shot secret EDT. I have a fass fuel system on my truck too that I put on when I first bought the truck. I have never had a issue with the trucks fuel system.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts