Nissan Titan XD Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
2017 XD Pro-4x
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone,
I was poopin’ and had what could either be a stroke of genius or just a plain old stroke from pushing too hard.
knowing there is a lot of issues with the EGR cooler leaking,CFT having about the worst attitude when it comes to marketing and sales, and the sheer lack of aftermarket support. I think I have a solid idea on how to reroute the coolant to the reservoir tank from the block.
Possible plan-
The two coolant hard lines could possibly have fittings attached to them to join them. Either at the exit from the block or somewhere near where the meet under the cold side pipe. Blocking off the coolant passages to the egr cooler is simple enough with a plate on each out put end as well.
this may be an inexpensive viable solution to stopping the coolant leaks. Parts can be sourced from any auto parts store

please feel free to sink my boat by blowing holes in the idea. Or hit me with your own ideas. I’m going to do a little more planning and see what I can’t come up with as far as parts and how to do it. I’ve included pictures to show what I’m talking about.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Gas Synthetic rubber

Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design

Edit#1
Date-few hours later lol
So I have measured the size of the hard water pipes to the cooler. They are 3/4in OD. So assuming I can flare them a viable option is the cut them midway up where they begin to split into two separate directions then use reducers to a T-fitting. Send that Joint to the coolant reservoir. As for the back. I think a 3/4 inch plug sourced from a kit may work for it.

·
2017 XD Pro-4x
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anything that blocks or redirects coolant flow might be a problem. Wouldn’t want one head to have a hot spot from coolant deadheading.
So I’ve dug into what the CFT kit does in part to the coolant bypass portion. They do 3 things:
1. Block the passage in the back with a plug and plate.
2. Join the two passages that goto the egr cooler.
3. Sends it straight to the reservoir.
I think it’s possible to use something similar to what is used on the Cummins 6.7 for the coolant riser to make two barbed fittings to send straight to the reservoir.
Bicycle part Automotive tire Rim Household hardware Font
That barbed fitting would work depending on if the size was correct. You could use the mounting plates on the ends of the hard coolant pipes to mount them into place.

·
2017 XD Pro-4x
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've pondered it a time or two, never looked too far into it. But I guess I'd want to know more about the coolant path before blocking some and rerouting others. Let me know if you dig into it at all, I'd be willing to try something myself, since my truck consistently burns coolant if I fill it above the min line. Seems feasible.
I’ve tried to find info on the path. I can’t exactly disassemble my daily driver to figure it out due to having to do adult stuff all the time. But from what I can tell, the two coolant pipes from the front are joined and then sent to the tank. The passage on the back is simply blocked off.

·
2017 XD Pro-4x
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update on figuring out how to reroute coolant from egr cooler.
So I have confirmed that all you need to do is join the two coolant lines coming from the front of the block and route that to the reservoir. The back has also been confirmed to simply plug it.

joining the lines on the front will be simple. Cut them, attach a hose, run to a T-fitting, and connect to reservoir. The back can be done buy making a block off plate to sandwich between the egr cooler and the block. RTV will seal it up just fine. (Note: I think you may have to trim the coolant pipe on the back side of the egr cooler to sandwich a plate there.) this would leave the EGR and cooler assembly in place but make it non functional I.E. no coolant or Exhaust flowing through it.

I will do this as soon as I get everything together for my delete. Hopefully, end of this month or beginning of next month. I’m betting that this could easily cost less than $50 US if you already have at minimum a grinder to make the block off plate for the rear.

·
2017 XD Pro-4x
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’m planning on pulling everything apart and figuring out exact sizes of plugs and adapters. That will most likely be mid July. I’m having some coolant leaking with my egr cooler also as of now. I will post pictures and build list ASAP.

·
2017 XD Pro-4x
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here’s what mine looks like right now

View attachment 47484
Man that’s rough. If you look at the
Sounds like a good idea. Received a call from the dealership this morning and they’re going to cover it under warranty to my surprise. Now I’m looking to buy the complete kit from CFT Performance for $1700. Anyone purchased this kit? If so what’s your thoughts?
so I’ve researched the kit CFT provides and 1700 is steep as hell for blocking off coolant passages and rerouting the coolant system. I’m currently working on a fix for the leaking egr cooler and it costing a lot less with easy to get off the shelf parts. I need pull the egr cooler off completely to take measurements for the size of the plugs for the back of the motor under the egr cooler.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts