Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do a lot of boondocking with my truck camper. With my past trucks, I wired a charging cable directly from my truck battery to my camper batteries with a quick disconnect where the wiring met the camper.

Since there are two batteries on the Titan, I have to ask.... Which battery should I wire my camper to? Or, does it even matter?

·
149 Posts
I do a lot of boondocking with my truck camper. With my past trucks, I wired a charging cable directly from my truck battery to my camper batteries with a quick disconnect where the wiring met the camper.

Since there are two batteries on the Titan, I have to ask.... Which battery should I wire my camper to? Or, does it even matter?

What year is your camper because most campers batteries charge when you plug your trailer into your truck through the factor harness.

·
149 Posts

And it probably won't matter which battery you use on the XD.

·
214 Posts
I was asking myself a similar question for my ARB Fridge... But I have yet to find time to get to it...

If the batteries are in parallel (12V), ie, + connected to + and - connected to -, then put your + on one battery and the - on the other and you should be fine.

·
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The factory camper wiring harness does allow the batteries to charge while plugged into the truck, but the wires are so small that the voltage they carry is minimal. So, I use much heavier cable with a 40 amp fuse and can charge/recharge my batteries rapidly. I do know how to wire my batteries, my question was if it matters which battery on the Titan I should hook my cable to....
I know they both charge off the alternator, but is one of the Titan batteries for "accessories" and one for starting? Is the starter battery protected from draining past a certain point so you can always start the truck? if so, i don't want to wire to that battery and risk a non-start situation some day....
As a point of info, I usually make it a point to electrically disconnect my camper from the truck when i get to my boondocking location so I don't drain the truck battery inadvertently...but sometimes things happen....

So, what does everyone think...connect to the drivers side battery or the passenger side battery?

·
141 Posts
Which ever is easier for you, their in series. There is no isolator they both are in use at the same time. No start and house just one big battery.

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
XD storage question with battery tender

I have a different question on a similar topic.

I am about to store my XD for the next 4-5 months and wanted to leave it plugged into a battery tender in my garage. The previous post states that the batteries are in parallel, which I assumed they were. I just want to confirm again that it doesn't matter which battery I connect the battery tender to. Is there anything else I should be doing or just set and forget? Thanks in advance.

·
1,979 Posts
I have a different question on a similar topic.

I am about to store my XD for the next 4-5 months and wanted to leave it plugged into a battery tender in my garage. The previous post states that the batteries are in parallel, which I assumed they were. I just want to confirm again that it doesn't matter which battery I connect the battery tender to. Is there anything else I should be doing or just set and forget? Thanks in advance.
Set it and make sure the tank is full of fuel. 4-5 months isn't really a big deal, they can sit on the dealers lots for alot longer.

·
348 Posts
Seems there are two versions of information on this post, are the two batteries wired in parallel or series, I have the gasser, so I only have one battery. One poster says parallel one says series, you need to know. If batteries are in series, you have a 24v system with whatever cracking amps are listed on one battery, if in parallel, you have a 12v system with double the amps listed on one battery. Like I said, mine is gas, so I'm not familiar with the set up on the diesels. My big diesels at work are 24v systems, my smaller ones are paralleled 12v for higher cracking amps.

·
11 Posts
Diesel has 2 12V batteries on parallel. Gas has just the 1 12V battery. Both vehicles have 12V systems. No XD has a 24V system.

As for which battery to wire from, just use whichever one is easier to get to from a wiring standpoint; it won't matter to the electrical system.

For the person who is also storing the XD for several months, you may also want to pull the shorting (shipping) pin in the fuse block behind the glove box door to put the truck in an ultra-low current state, so that you have fewer modules (only the essentials to drive) pulling current in sleep mode. This will allow the battery tender to do less work over time. Just remember to push the pin back in when ready to use the truck again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts