Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Platinum Reserve diesel XD with 63k miles. Last Thursday I noticed that the motor sounded louder than normal (almost a rattle) the next day I was towing a 19 ft scissor lift home from an electrical job I was doing and the rattle got louder and louder. About half way to my shop (15 miles) the truck went into reduced engine power mode. 5 miles later the trucked locked up and shut off and sounded horribly loud. I was able to get pulled into a gas station and had it towed to the Nissan dealership here. 3 days later they call me and told me I have to have a new motor. They said aren’t 100 % sure what happened. Fortunately they called yesterday and said the motor is covered under warranty.

·
105 Posts
Or rod knock that turned into a broke crank
Or spun bearing that turned into rod knock which turned into a broke crank.
Somewhere along those lines brother. Any warranty help or all out of pocket?

·
560 Posts
Damn, another broken crank shaft. Just like what happened to mine, same year model, 5K miles different when it happened to mine. Be sure to ask the dealer to do transmission re-learn after the new motor is in.

Any warranty help or all out of pocket?
He said dealer called and said the motor is covered under warranty.

·
59 Posts
I too suffered a broken crank shaft. Like you it’s when I joined this forum. It’s a great forum so welcome. My scenario is almost identical to yours. The dealership where I bought my truck towed my truck, put me in a loaner for the duration of my truck being broke, 3 weeks later I got my truck back and it’s run like a top every since with a new long block installed. I don’t know if they reprogrammed the transmission or not but everything seems to be great (except for that damn 5.0 accelerator lag - drives me nuts)
Good luck and keep us updated.

·
105 Posts
I too suffered a broken crank shaft. Like you it’s when I joined this forum. It’s a great forum so welcome. My scenario is almost identical to yours. The dealership where I bought my truck towed my truck, put me in a loaner for the duration of my truck being broke, 3 weeks later I got my truck back and it’s run like a top every since with a new long block installed. I don’t know if they reprogrammed the transmission or not but everything seems to be great (except for that damn 5.0 accelerator lag - drives me nuts)
Good luck and keep us updated.
delete!!!!!! No more lag :)

·
59 Posts
delete!!!!!! No more lag :)
As much as I’d like to I made a decision early on with this truck to leave it stock 100% so I don’t give them a single reason to not honor their warranty. So far that has worked well. I do plan to discuss it with the Nissan shop on my next service. Give them a chance to address it.

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input, guys. I’m thankful that it’s under warranty. I’m kind of nervous that I’ll be looking at this same problem again! I have loved the truck with not a single issue until this but I may drive it until the warranty is up and get something else.

·
17 Posts
Anybody ever been in the shop and actually saw what the crank/bearing damage looks like? Oil starvation issue or misalignment from factory? Bearing supports not heavy enough? Timing out of whack?

·
105 Posts
Anybody ever been in the shop and actually saw what the crank/bearing damage looks like? Oil starvation issue or misalignment from factory? Bearing supports not heavy enough? Timing out of whack?
with our trucks, (pure speculation) I believe it s either pure lubrication creating larger tolerance and then snapping the crank or just poor cranks. I’ve seen a lot folks say they hadwarranty issues because thebearing was blue.
i have seen on my buddies duramax, don’t remember what year but 04-06 time frame had a broke crankshaft cause of the 1-2 firing order putting way to much pressure on the front of the crank. Bearings looked fine other than damage that I suspect was from when the crank broke. Large gouges.

·
5 Posts
My 2017 Titan XD Pro4X Diesel had the same problem in December with an engine knock at 27,000 miles and Nissan warrantied a new long block. The diesel tech sent me pictures of all the bearing pieces in the oil pan. Repair took about 2 weeks.

·
17 Posts
i have seen on my buddies duramax, don’t remember what year but 04-06 time frame had a broke crankshaft cause of the 1-2 firing order putting way to much pressure on the front of the crank. Bearings looked fine other than damage that I suspect was from when the crank broke. Large gouges.
That makes me wonder too. Anyone know what the firing order is on the 5.0? Can't seem to find it on the internet anywhere. My google fu is lacking.

·
7 Posts
I have a 2016 Platinum Reserve diesel XD with 63k miles. Last Thursday I noticed that the motor sounded louder than normal (almost a rattle) the next day I was towing a 19 ft scissor lift home from an electrical job I was doing and the rattle got louder and louder. About half way to my shop (15 miles) the truck went into reduced engine power mode. 5 miles later the trucked locked up and shut off and sounded horribly loud. I was able to get pulled into a gas station and had it towed to the Nissan dealership here. 3 days later they call me and told me I have to have a new motor. They said aren’t 100 % sure what happened. Fortunately they called yesterday and said the motor is covered under warranty.
Similar event happened to me with my 2018 Titan XD Platinum on Sunday. It turns out the crank shaft failed at only 46K miles. With a little research you will find there are several people going through the same issue....sometimes more than once. I rarely tow and most of my miles are highway miles.

·
7 Posts
Similar event happened to me with my 2018 Titan XD Platinum on Sunday. It turns out the crank shaft failed at only 46K miles. With a little research you will find there are several people going through the same issue....sometimes more than once. I rarely tow and most of my miles are highway miles.
Also the new engine is only under warranty for remainder of my 100K manufacture's warranty...not the full 100K starting from replacement. They informed me it was 12 months or 12K miles or the difference on my manufacture warranty (53K). They also have not identified the root cause of these crank shaft failures and therefore have not taken corrective action....just replacing engine and once it is past 100k and fails it is a cash out of pocket repair if it reoccurs.

·
118 Posts
That sucks man. I traded my Toyota TRD Tundra 4x4, for this truck with only 63K on the clock. I thought this would be my last truck. I had a Dodge with cummins straight 6. Cummins was great, it was wrap in crap, when Nissan made this, which I read Toyota was suppose to do,but chicken out, I jumped on it. I love the truck, the maintenance with those filters suck, transmission every 20K sucks too. Engine failure with diesel is really bad news. I been trying to trade it , but can only get loan value, not trade in value, which is 3K loss. Good luck BRO.

·
7 Posts
I may have to take the 3K loss to avoid the 20k loss once it falls out of warranty. I really do not want to because I like so many things about ghe Titan. I just am not satisfied with the answers I am gettubg from Nissan and am shaken by them ceasing to continue the production of these diesel engines.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts