Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today started truck to leave work and had an engine warning light. Drove to the intersection and got reduced engine power. Checked all fluids and good but oil was low and I had just topped it off.
No leaks burned a quart in 50 miles.
Regens used to be every 650 had slipped down to 340 all highway miles. Three dealers near work one refused and two said at least a week wait. Going to try dealer near home will have to tow saturday 50 mile.
Not please with Nissan dealerships.

·
22 Posts
How are they able to refuse to work on it, are they claiming they have no diesel mechanics? If Nissan is not going to provide enough training for mechanics to support warranty obligations, they need to work a deal for customers to be able to get their Cummins engines serviced at actual Cummins facilities with reimbursement by Nissan. Hope it turns out good for you Cowboystarr

·
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How are they able to refuse to work on it, are they claiming they have no diesel mechanics? If Nissan is not going to provide enough training for mechanics to support warranty obligations, they need to work a deal for customers to be able to get their Cummins engines serviced at actual Cummins facilities with reimbursement by Nissan. Hope it turns out good for you Cowboystarr
Yup, no mechanic available at all at one and the other said not available for at least a week. Having it towed to Concord Nissan on Saturday. Gotta confess I am worried.

·
247 Posts
Don't fall on your knife yet! These modern diesels from all manufacturers take very little to throw them in limp mode. The number of emission non-compliant vehicles on the road is a testament to that. The only thing to worry about is how long it takes Nissan to get known consumable parts to the dealer.

·
143 Posts
hey cowboy - I hope things work out for you and i'm following this thread. my guess would be this -- the fact that it lost a whole qt of oil in 50 miles sounds like could be the turbo seal going and putting oil directly down into the exhaust system which I bet would clog up the dpf/scr and cause the low power light. that would be my guess as you have checked coolant level and it's saying not low. fingers crossed that they get you fixed up asap at the next dealership!

·
498 Posts
Dang... Sorry to hear that. I hope things work out for you. Let us know how things go.

·
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup, no mechanic available at all at one and the other said not available for at least a week. Having it towed to Concord Nissan on Saturday. Gotta confess I am worried.
Found this in my email. Still getting it towed Monday
A Maintenance Alert was received from your NISSAN TITAN. Your vehicle's service engine soon Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) is on.

This may indicate a potential emission control malfunction. The malfunction indicator light may also come on steady if the fuel-filler cap is loose or missing, or if the vehicle runs out of fuel. Check to make sure the fuel-filler cap is installed and closed tightly, and that the vehicle has at least 3 US gallons (11.4 liters) of fuel in the fuel tank.

After a few driving trips, the malfunction indicator light should turn off if no other potential emission control system malfunction exists.

If this indicator light remains on for a short time and then flashes briefly when the engine is not running, it indicates that the vehicle is not ready for an emission control system inspection/maintenance test. (See "Readiness for Inspection/Maintenance (I/M) test" in your vehicle's owner's manual)

Operation:
The malfunction indicator light will come on in one of two ways:

* Malfunction indicator light on steady - An emission control system malfunction has been detected. Check the fuel-filler cap if the LOOSE FUEL CAP warning appears in the dot matrix liquid crystal display. If the fuel-filler cap is loose or missing, tighten or install the cap and continue to drive the vehicle. The malfunction indicator light should turn off after a few driving trips. If the malfunction indicator light does not turn off after a few driving trips, have the vehicle inspected by an Nissan retailer. You do not need to have your vehicle towed to the retailer.

To easily schedule a service appointment with an Nissan retailer, click on the links in the bottom of this email.

* Malfunction indicator light blinking - An engine misfire has been detected which may damage the emission control system.

To reduce or avoid emission control system damage:

1) Do not drive at speeds above 45 MPH (72 km/h).

2) Avoid hard acceleration or deceleration.

3) Avoid steep uphill grades.

4) If possible, reduce the amount of cargo being hauled or towed.

The malfunction indicator light may stop blinking and remain on.

Have the vehicle inspected by an Nissan retailer. You do not need to have your vehicle towed to the retailer.

CAUTION:

Continued vehicle operation without having the emission control system checked and repaired as necessary could lead to poor driveability, reduced fuel economy, and possible damage to the emission control system.

·
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well here's an update for anyone following this early prognosis is that it has a crack inside the EGR and has been leaking coolant into the exhaust and their looks like that finally gave way more to come

·
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not yet the diesel mechanic is on vacation till monday. They said they could have others work on it with the tech line that told them to top off and do a forced regen or wait for the diesel tech. I said wait for the tech. Once this is repaired it gone and no more new diesels for me.

·
87 Posts
Not yet the diesel mechanic is on vacation till monday. They said they could have others work on it with the tech line that told them to top off and do a forced regen or wait for the diesel tech. I said wait for the tech. Once this is repaired it gone and no more new diesels for me.
Yeah man you gotta do what’s right for you and what makes sense financially. I deleted mine within the first 1200 miles in hopes that it would contribute to a long healthy life. So far so good. Had I not lived in a state where I could get away with that, I would have not bought one.

·
87 Posts
I am curious about the oil consumption though, one of the comments that someone made earlier about a turbo seal and the oil clogging up the DPF makes sense. Or if the EGR cooler failed, washed the cylinder walls with coolant and created excessive blow by that might make sense too.

·
1,025 Posts
UOTE="DieselXD 2018, post: 533656, member: 30128"]
Yeah man you gotta do what’s right for you and what makes sense financially. I deleted mine within the first 1200 miles in hopes that it would contribute to a long healthy life. So far so good. Had I not lived in a state where I could get away with that, I would have not bought one.
[/QUOTE]
I wish I had the balls to delete mine and ruin warranty. I want to do it so badly but my mind keeps saying no lol.

·
87 Posts
UOTE="DieselXD 2018, post: 533656, member: 30128"]

For the price I got my truck, the experiences I’ve had in the past with warranty issues, and just the experiences of guys around me that have a newer diesel from one of the big three, it was the right decision for me to make to delete it. I have everything I need to do most repairs short of installing a new engine. Plus if I need to I can throw the emissions stuff back on, if they fix it great if not I’ll figure it out. I could have got a old 6.0/7.3/5.9/6.6 without DPF/DEF/EGR but the amount of money I would have to drop to replace suspension parts, transmissions, axle seals ect on top of the high price for a used diesel in general, I would make out on top for deleting this one and conducting repairs out of pocket. Not to mention all the known issues with ford transmissions, or dodge body/steering/everything falling apart around the motor, or bulletproofing a 6.0, or durmax shitty injectors/firing order destroying cranks. I did a lot of research and the only other option value/reliability wise that would have been an option to me is 05-06 F250 6.0. You can pick those up super cheap, do the turbo, head gaskets, axle rebuilds, front suspension, radiator, head studs, ect for 30,000 roughly all in. Powerstrokehelp.com in Georgia actually does the full refurbish on their trucks paint, interior, powertrain, suspension, brakes, ect and you can pick one up for 25-35k depending on interior and exterior options you go with. That wouldn’t be a bad option either.

·
87 Posts
I still need to get the kit for the egr, I don’t want to say the manufacturer on here but right now the egr is just there in the closed position but with coolant running through it still. I would like to remove it completely eventually.

·
1,025 Posts
I dont know, it just makes me nervous lol. I dont have the means to fix it on my own if something messes up.

·
351 Posts
Delete and don’t look back- you’ll be amazed how much better it runs. You’ll look back and think, ‘man this thing ran almost rough compared to now’.

I just ‘enhanced’ my other XD before Christmas. Mind blown all over again.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts