Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
87 Posts
I dont know, it just makes me nervous lol. I dont have the means to fix it on my own if something messes up.
Oh trust me I totally understand it’s a considerable risk doing it. If I was 40-50k deep in my truck I would definitely have been more hesitant. I’m not rich by any means lol however on the other hand like Quikcoastie said, I don’t know how I could live with that truck with emissions on it. I had huge second thoughts about why the hell did I buy diesel emissions truck before I deleted it. Especially the Titan, mine was a dog, the shifts seemed really sloppy, it was doing a regen once a fuel tank. I had the bad pedal lag, especially when accelerating from a complete stop and making a 90 degree turn. Now, I find every little reason to drive it, tow something, haul something, I love it!

·
87 Posts
I would probably attribute a lot of that though to the truck being new and the transmission never getting up to temp to learn ect. I deleted so early hard to say what was corrected by road miles and what was corrected by the delete. I’m approaching 10,000mi. I did the first oil change at 5500 miles and used a AMSOIL filter and their full syn 10w-30 diesel oil. I just got my oil sample kit from black lab industries and I’m going to go ahead with sending a sample off when I hit 8-9k on the oil. I will post the results for you guys when I get them.

·
1,025 Posts
Oh trust me I totally understand it’s a considerable risk doing it. If I was 40-50k deep in my truck I would definitely have been more hesitant. I’m not rich by any means lol however on the other hand like Quikcoastie said, I don’t know how I could live with that truck with emissions on it. I had huge second thoughts about why the hell did I buy diesel emissions truck before I deleted it. Especially the Titan, mine was a dog, the shifts seemed really sloppy, it was doing a regen once a fuel tank. I had the bad pedal lag, especially when accelerating from a complete stop and making a 90 degree turn. Now, I find every little reason to drive it, tow something, haul something, I love it!
Well that's the thing, my truck gives me zero issues. Regens are only every 600 miles or so, truck runs great, no it's not a rocket ship but I dodnt buy it for that lol. Itll get deleted later on, I'm only at 13k miles right now.

·
52 Posts
I had almost the exact issue just before Thanksgiving. Was 100 miles from home on a Sunday, cleared the codes and headed home. Brought it in the next day with pictures of the codes and check engine light back on but not in limp mode. They said the diesel mechanic was in vacation and scheduled a appointment for the following week. CEL was on and off, limp mode warning light would come up occasionally. Once I dropped it off they diagnosed it as a turbo valve. Went 2 weeks and the Christmas tree lit back up. It ended up being Egr cooler, and def fluid sensor. My truck has 43k on it.

Everything was covered under warranty, no questions. Overall I wasn't disappointed in the service, just seems like it was the egr cooler the entire time.

·
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Well they are putting in a new egr cooler and providing there is nothing else and all goes as expected, it supposed to be done Monday. It was suggested I may want to invest in an extended warranty. Was he trying to sell me or give me a warning, I wonder.

·
87 Posts
Probably a little of both. It’s an unfortunate issue with any modern diesel fitted with emissions equipment. It’s going to fail, some more often than others. There is so many variables that go into why your egr cooler may last 10,000 miles and someone else’s may last 80,000 or more. Climate, use, driving style, fuel, operating temps ect. I would weigh how much the extended warranty cost vs how long you plan on keeping the truck, how much the components cost to fix, and whether or not your dealer has a diesel mech or has to our source for one. It’s kind of like government healthcare, what good is medical coverage if you can’t access a doctor

·
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Update the new egr cooler is on and still have sensor issues. A new coolant sensor is on order and is backordered. Put on expedite but no eta.
Below is from Cummins site:
Failures Resulting in Oil and/or Coolant Consumption
If the failure results in oil and/or coolant entering the exhaust system (i.e. piston, liner, EGR cooler, head gasket, counterbore, etc.), the following items should be checked for progressive damage.
1. The aftertreatment fuel injector must be cleaned on HD product.
2. If fault codes 555 and 556 are present, replace the crankcase breather element (if equipped).
3. The turbo should be inspected/cleaned if deposits are found.
4. The EGR valve should be inspected/cleaned if deposits are found.
5. The oil and filter can be changed if contamination by soot or coolant is found
6. On ISX12/15 CM2250 and CM2350 engines, if fault code 1922 or 1981 is present and there is coolant in the aftertreatment, the DPF must be replaced. If 1922 or 1981 is not present, a DPF restriction test should be performed. The DPF must be replaced if it fails a restriction test on CM2250 engines. DPF replacement is preferred on CM2350 engines if a restriction test is failed, but air cleaning followed by a restriction test is allowed.
7. On ISX15 CM2350 engines, an SCR performance test should be run to determine if there is progressive damage to the SCR system.
Nissan rep said this would be maintenance not covered under warranty. I differed, soap opera continues.

·
87 Posts
That’s a damn shame. That’s how they fuck you, anywhere you go, spend thousands of dollars on product with a warranty. Only to fight over what’s covered and what’s not. Same shit with buying a new house, a year later components start failing due to poor craftsmanship and you find out the builders warranty don’t mean shit. No matter what you buy, you will get fucked. Nice new iPhone, take care of it, two years later new iPhones are out and now your phone won’t function properly, so that you will go spend more money and get fucked some more.

If only you could buy trucks from Walmart, yeah I know they are anti gun communist but at least if what you buy turns out to be junk you can take that shit back no questions asked lol

·
87 Posts
None the less thanks for the update, I hope your able to find some middle ground or get your issues addressed without a whole lot of out of pocket cost.

·
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Well another day passes and dealership is still waiting on the sensor. They did offer a loaner car today.

·
1 Posts
Today started truck to leave work and had an engine warning light. Drove to the intersection and got reduced engine power. Checked all fluids and good but oil was low and I had just topped it off.
No leaks burned a quart in 50 miles.
Regens used to be every 650 had slipped down to 340 all highway miles. Three dealers near work one refused and two said at least a week wait. Going to try dealer near home will have to tow saturday 50 mile.
Not please with Nissan dealerships.
I had this issue 3 days ago. My truck is not a diesel. (2017 Titan) Dead pedal, suddenly no power while driving. Had truck towed and they are replacing fuel throttle actuator. After researching, this vehicle also has a alternator wiring harness recall. FYI. I contacted Nissan Customer Affairs for support to help Dealer stay on top of this issue.
Hope you get yours fixed.
Fletch

·
550 Posts
Well another day passes and dealership is still waiting on the sensor. They did offer a loaner car today.
Mine had the same coolant bottle sensor problem. It took them 2 days to get a new bottle assembly (can't just replace the sensor!).

Mine kept consuming coolant even after they replaced the EGR so now it's in again for possibly another EGR replacement. They pressure tested the coolant system and they said it's fine but I am skeptical. I'm at almost 60K so 40K to go before warranty runs out. Luckily the EGR cooler is easy to replace if I have to do it myself.

·
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
True, but low miles for this to happen. I would expect this at about the 150k mark.
The important thing we have to be aware of is the availability of parts when thing do break or ware out and that support at the dealerships is dropping off fast. They are not even stocking oil filters!
Repairs we can do, but not if you can't get the parts and since these are a comparatively low production vehicle even the folks making the aftermarket fuel filter and oil may be scarce. Just a thought. Truck is still at dealer as I type.😤

·
550 Posts
Yeah my truck has been at the dealer since TUESDAY of this week and it is still there now. The way they do work, if you complain about 4 things, they work on one thing until it is completed before they start work on the second thing.

So, for example, I dropped my truck off with four complaints:

1) Coolant Leak
2) Wind noise from passenger front window
3) moaning sound coming from engine when cold
4) throttle lag

So, Tuesday they started looking at the coolant leak. The dealer I go to has one pressure testing setup, which was in use on another truck. So, rather than start on another one of my complaints, they literally waited a whole day for the pressure tester to become available. They started the pressure test on my truck on Wednesday. It passed, so they claim no coolant leak.

They then move on to problem number 2: wind noise. Found weatherstripping needed to be replaced. Not in stock, so they ordered it. Rather than start working on problem 3, they sit on it and wait for the weather stripping to come in, which it did on Thursday. They complete the weather stripping job Thursday afternoon and then move on to number 3.

For number 3, they determine the truck needs a new cooling fan clutch assembly or something. Not in stock, of course, so they order Thursday. 3-5 days shipping from Nissan. Do they start working on problem number 4?

Heck naw! My truck is going to sit there for 3-5 days while they wait on the part, before they even look at the throttle lag (for the umpteenth time).

It's completely mind-blowing how inefficiently they work. Your truck is probably held up on the same kind of thing.

·
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Well Nissan has literally called in the tiger team to find the part. Apparently there are none of these parts in the warehouse so now they reach out to every dealer in North America to see if they have the part on the shelf. I accepted the loaner car called Nissan Crop. And requested we start the buy back process. I'll know more on Monday.

·
550 Posts
Well Nissan has literally called in the tiger team to find the part. Apparently there are none of these parts in the warehouse so now they reach out to every dealer in North America to see if they have the part on the shelf. I accepted the loaner car called Nissan Crop. And requested we start the buy back process. I'll know more on Monday.
If it were me I would be pulling a sensor off of a new truck I had on the lot...

·
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Nissan corp called Monday. Still searching for part and submitted my case for a review of buy back or replacement. Will know more in 3 days.

·
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Nissan replace the EGR cooler valve and relay some gaskets a new coolant tank with the sensor everything seems to be OK for now.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts